Community Message Boards

Thread: WEdding Menu - Feedback wanted

WEdding Menu - Feedback wanted

My little sister is getting married in June and I have agreed to be her caterer. She doesn't want the food to be too expensive or too fancy (her and her fiancee are very much into simple westernized food) but i need to cater to a large number of vegans and vegetarians (maybe 50% of guests). buffet dinner for 100, this is what i have come up with thus far...

Assorted breads with butter
    green salad with nectarines and goats cheese
    vegan caesar salad
    scalloped potatoes and yams
    Cracked Wheat Pilaf (vegan)
    grilled vegetables
    Wild salmon with tomatoes and basil (brides request)
    prime rib roast (groom's request)

anu thoughts? vegetarians, would you be happy with what is on offer? Any suggestions for a good vegetarian/vegan entree?
    I realise she gets last say, but i would like some outsider feedback. Oh and i have one day to prepare this all....
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

My limited understanding is that vegans wouldn't be able to eat cheese or butter or cream either, right?

Are the assorted breads made with eggs? I don't think vegans could eat any of that . . .

Maybe there are eggless breads that can be served with olive oil?
    And maybe the potatoes could be served some way besides scalloped? Maybe tofu can replace the milk/cream/cheese.
    And is it possible to have the green salad without goat cheese and with something else?

I know, i am no help. I just wondered if all of the dishes that did not have meat could also be made so that they were good for either vegan or vegetarian. Vegans can do eggless noodles for a tomato based pasta dish.

ETA: I use to run into the vegan limitation all the time when planning work stuff. So I learned what they couldn't eat, I think . . .
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

Thank you for the comments.
    I am aware of what a vegan can and cannot eat, but I don't want the entire menu to skew vegan and neither does my sister, she just wants them to have options. I plan to use honey as a part of the dressing in the one salad with goat cheese, so that one wouldn't be vegan anyway..
    I like the thought of an olive oil dip for the bread as well - i wouln't be using enriched breads that contain eggs.
    I am trying to avoid pasta as starch seems to be the fallback for vegetarian and vegan dishes...
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

I was never sure if vegans ate honey, thanks for that info. I'd be curious as to what veggies are being grilled. If one or more are hearty substantial, I think your menu sounds wonderful. I'd be more than pleased as a guest.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by oct2189 View Post
    I was never sure if vegans ate honey, thanks for that info. I'd be curious as to what veggies are being grilled. If one or more are hearty substantial, I think your menu sounds wonderful. I'd be more than pleased as a guest.
    not all vegans skip honey, but a strict, technical, by the book vegan would.
    i hadn't nailed down the veggies yet, but that is a good thought..
    Anthony Bourdain

I am a vegetarian, and this would be thrilling to have! So many choices, which we don't always get, even at restaurants.

Ideas for a vegetarian entree:

Portabella mushrooms baked or grilled with cheese, spinach, and a tomato sauce stuffing the mushroom or a filling of your choice

Lasagna with a load of veggies--you could make this vegan with soy cheese and tofu for ricotta

Spanakopita--if you have help in assembling

Pasta with Raw Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella with garlic, basil, and olive oil

That's all I can think of now for entrees.

What about a peanut sauce on the side with your grilled vegs?

I did notice there were no bean dishes on your menu, and I don't know if there are any beans elegant enough for a wedding. However, I really like the Chickpeas Romanesco recipe from Veganomicon. It does benefit from being made ahead, so that may help your planning.

I hope you have some additional hands on your day of cooking! You will be busy.

Beans! Thank you, I knew I was missing something obvious!
    I checked out that chick pea recipe and it does look fabulous. I am also toying with a white bean and artichoke "cassoulet". I will explore some other bean recipes as well....
    Anthony Bourdain

Just here to say it will be great and cant wait to see the pics
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

It all sounds delicious!

The only thing I could think of was maybe some kind of mushroom ragu? That would give that beefy umami flavor for the veg crowd- and as a bonus, many of the non veg would probably love it as a side to their prime rib. I would think that would hold really well over low heat.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I agree there needs to be some kind of heartier dish for that many vegetarians/vegans. It would be one thing if you were dealing with a few, but 50% is a lot. I'm vegetarian, and have had way more then my fair share of steamed veggie plates at weddings (and dealt with it ). So I think everything you've planned so far sounds great, but there's still something missing for me. If I were in attendance I would still feel like I was eating "around" the meat if that makes sense.

I would think about two vegetable lasagnas - one vegan as someone mentioned and one just vegetarian. I would think those could be made ahead, done and just heated. But the white bean artichoke cassoulet sounds intriguing too. I'm sure it will be all delicious, and I would LOVE to attend a wedding in which so much attention had been given to what is usually a minority eating lifestyle!

Quote Originally Posted by helios7 View Post
    I agree there needs to be some kind of heartier dish for that many vegetarians/vegans. It would be one thing if you were dealing with a few, but 50% is a lot. I'm vegetarian, and have had way more then my fair share of steamed veggie plates at weddings (and dealt with it ). So I think everything you've planned so far sounds great, but there's still something missing for me. If I were in attendance I would still feel like I was eating "around" the meat if that makes sense.
    ditto that, and on b ehalf on=f the guests, thanks for asking! at christmas dinner, my sister had not one but three meats, but our sizeable veg contingent didn't really have a main course aimed at us-- and it felt annoying, i must say. your cassoulet sounds lovely.

Great news!

And as a vegan I think you are doing a great job being sensitive to everyone with your menu. There is plenty of yummy choices- I would be happy!

I do like your idea of another kind of spread dip for the bread that would be vegan friendly
    Cheryl

Check out Heidi Swanson's 101 cookbook blog. She's got some great veg recipes - you might find some inspiration there. Your menu sounds really nice, and I agree it sounds like you are giving appropriate concern to the veg/vegan crown, while creating an overall menu that aims to please everyone. Your sister is very lucky.

I was just looking for another recipe in my copy of Fields of Greens and came across their recipe for ratatouille; that might be another good vegan option.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    I was just looking for another recipe in my copy of Fields of Greens and came across their recipe for ratatouille; that might be another good vegan option.
    oh yeah! love that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Are you willing to post it?? I love a good ratatouille! Thanks so much,

Karen

I would be happy to, but it's not a T&T. ?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt