Community Message Boards

Thread: meatloaf-subbing oats for breadcrumbs?

meatloaf-subbing oats for breadcrumbs?

I want to make this meatloaf, but I want to sub oats for the breadcrumbs because I am supposed to eat wheat-free (does not have to be gluten-free). I suppose I could make crumbs out of my spelt bread, but at almost $5 a loaf, oats are a heck of a lot cheaper.

Soo...since this calls for soft bread crumbs, do you think I would use a 1-1 ratio? A little less? A little more?

Spinach Turkey Roll

1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided 2 eggs, lightly beaten 1 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs 1/4 cup finely chopped onion 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 teaspoon dried basil 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1 teaspoon ground mustard 1 pound lean ground turkey 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, basil, oregano and mustard. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
    On a sheet of waxed paper, pat turkey mixture into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with spinach and cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling waxed paper away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
    Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Heat remaining spaghetti sauce; serve over turkey.

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 each) equals 230 calories, 11 g fat, 3 g fiber

Several months ago I started subbing breadcrumbs in meatloaf with oatmeal. I use the 1-1 ratio and it works fine.

Do you blitz them first or use them whole? And if whole are they old fashioned thick rolled oats or the super thin quick cooking kind?
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I almost always sub oats for bread crumbs in meatloaf and meatball recipes. 1 to 1, either instant or rolled oats, whichever I have on hand. I don't blitz the rolled oats.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

I grew up with meatloaf made with oats and have always made it that way. I use whole old-fashioned or quick cook -- whatever I have.

I use whatever I have on hand, usually the Old Fashioned Oats, and I don't blitz them either.

i like to roll the oats between my hands to make them finer. my guys haven't seemed to appreciate finding a whole oat flake in there--but they dig the taste.

Always use oats (1:1) and never blitz but I am a lazy person so it's one less thing to wash!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Oatmeal in meat loaf doesn't taste oaty. It doesn't have a particular flavor; it's just a binder, like bread crumbs, but better for you.

If you flavor your meat loaf with spices, onion, green pepper, tomatoes, catsup - whatever - you won't notice there is oatmeal in it.

(And I have never been able to see oatmeal in cooked meat loaf.)

I also grew up with oats used in meatloaf. I didn't know anyone used anything else until just a few years ago. I use either old fashioned or quick - whichever I have the most of.
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates