Community Message Boards

Thread: What makes a muffin sometimes have a big dome/crown vs flat?

What makes a muffin sometimes have a big dome/crown vs flat?

I was wondering what causes a muffin to have a crown/dome vs. flat on top.

I made some muffins yesterday and they were totally flat on top (but good). I did cut the recipe in half so I had to estimate as best I could some of the measurements. I had to split 3/4 teasp for the baking powder, baking soda etc. I don't have an 1/8th teasp.

I know the freshness of the baking soda and powder is key in baking, and that the oven is preheated --- just not sure when baking, why some of my muffins have a big crown and sometimes muffins come out flat.

Heres' the recipe, posted by Valchemist back in 2003, I didn't note who posted it, since it has the poster's comments too.

Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins
    This is a great recipe for chocolate chip muffins. I've been making them since originally posted by Valchemist in 2003.

5T butter, melted and cooled
    2/3 cup sugar
    1t vanilla
    1/4 t salt
    1 cup sour cream (I use light) --- some use greek yogurt
    1 large egg
    3/4 t baking soda
    3/4 t baking powder
    1 1/2 cups flour
    3/4 cups mini chocolate chips

Pre-Heat oven to 350

Combine butter, sugar, vanilla, salt, sour cream and egg; mix well.
    Stir in baking soda and baking powder. Add flour and stir until just combined; stir in chocolate chips.

Fill paper lined or greased muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until done. Cool, yield: 1 dozen.

One of the reason I like this recipe is because it uses mini chocolate chips. I find the muffins aren't overly chocolatey (for breakfast) and the mini chips don't tend to sink like the regular chips when I've used them.

Thanks,

I don't know but I want to know too.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

"The perfect muffin has a thin brown crust, a slightly rounded top with a pebbled appearance and a moist, even interior. There should be no peaks, no tunnels which are usually caused by excessive mixing and too much liquid (muffin batter should not be fluid).

For rounded tops on muffins grease only the bottom of the cup and halfway up the side of the cup.

If muffin cups are filled more than 3/4 full the muffins will have flat, “flying saucer” tops. If sufficient room is not allowed for muffins to expand before reaching the top of the cup the muffin will flatten on top."

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index....ns/Muffins.cfm
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Overmixing causes domed tops. Muffins should be mixed JUST until dry ingrdients are moistened.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I think I have been overfulling my muffins. I find it a bit difficult to get the 3/4 full without adding a bit of the leftover batter here and there to the cups. I also use ww flour which adds to the density.
    Anne

some people like a big domed top--- a bigger rounded top can be encouraged by greasing the circled area around the outside of the muffin cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    Overmixing causes domed tops. Muffins should be mixed JUST until dry ingrdients are moistened.
    Does this happen with cakes, too?

Yesterday I baked a simple, wonderful cinnamon cake that I've made many times before. It's always come out nice and even. Yesterday the top domed like crazy. It took a bit longer than normal to bake till done, too, so that the sides were a bit overdone while the middle was still cooking. It was still good, but I wonder why yesterday was so different than all the other times I've baked this.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

I'd like to get some of my muffins to have a big top or something, not basically the shape of a the muffin cup.

I do make a lot of banana muffins, so I'm thinking that the batter is so dense that it can't really rise that much.

I'm going to reread all the comments (thanks everyone). I have a recipe for muffins that are called "hi rise" or something so I'm going to give that a try.

Heavy Hedonist -- I've read about buttering/greasing the top of the muffin tin before, but never tried that before.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    One of the reason I like this recipe is because it uses mini chocolate chips. I find the muffins aren't overly chocolatey (for breakfast) and the mini chips don't tend to sink like the regular chips when I've used them.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe applecrisp. Question: What if I only have regular chocolate chips? TIA

Also, thank you for all the posted suggestions. Very helpful!
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Swedish cook --

Sorry, forgot to mention I used reg choc chips since that's what I had on hand. And, I used non-fat yogurt.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
    Does this happen with cakes, too?

Yesterday I baked a simple, wonderful cinnamon cake that I've made many times before. It's always come out nice and even. Yesterday the top domed like crazy. It took a bit longer than normal to bake till done, too, so that the sides were a bit overdone while the middle was still cooking. It was still good, but I wonder why yesterday was so different than all the other times I've baked this.
    It can help to fold or pleate a sheet (or two) of newspaper till it is the same width as the height of your cake pan but long enough to surround the pan with an overlap. Soak the newspaper strip until it is completely wet. Wrap around the strip around the outside of the filled cake pan and fold the end and tuck to fasten it. Place cake in preheated oven and bake as normal. This keeps the outside of the pan from overheating/overcooking while the middle is cooking.
    Anne

Thanks, Anne, I'll have to try that next time, but I still am wondering why it happened this time but never before (and I've made this cake a bunch of times before -- same oven, same pan, same batter).
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~