Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot Heads Unite

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Well, with DeeK's blessing, I am starting this spin-off of her Chile Pepper Mag. thread.

True confession, the older I get, the less heat I can handle. But DH likes it hot, hotter and hottest. This thread is for you sweetheart, the hottest thing in my life.

While going through some recipes the other day, I found this and showed it to DH. He said, please leave that one out. I am making that real soon.

Tabasco Onions

1/4 cup olive oil
    1/8 lb. butter
    2 tsp TABASCO SAUCE
    1 tsp RED CHILE FLAKES
    6 large yellow onions, thinly sliced and cut in half
    2 TB Tequila

Heat oil and melt butter in a large, heavy frying pan. Stir in Tabasco sauce and red chile flakes. Saute onion slices until they start to soften, then add the tequila and continue to cook until soft, tossing occasionally with tongs or a large fork. Serve with green enchiladas, steak or hamburgers. Serves 4.

Source: "The Tequila Cook Book" by Lynn Nusom -1993

Any "hot heads" out there? Love to hear what is cooking hot in your household (wow, a lot of h's).
    Well, it took longer to get to them than we thought. DH made them tonight to go with his steak. He made the full recipe with lots of leftovers and he is glad he did. He said they were very good. I tried them and will second that.
    Ok, they do have a little bit of too much heat for me.

Hi, just wanted to let you know that DH used the last of the onions last night on some very delicious fajitas that he cooked. They really tasted great. Has anyone else tried them yet?

Hi, sorry I haven't posted any recipes lately. Really not doing that much cooking. , but I was thinking of you all. I was just browsing through a book I have, "The Hot Sauce Bible" by Dave DeWitt and Chuck Evans. I will post some of the recipes later if you all are interested, but today I thought I would give you all a little chuckle.

Throughout the book are these. I will just post a few for now. Hope you haven't heard them before.

You Know You're A Real Chilehead If.........you throw a scrap of food to the dog and he looks at you as if to say "you must think I am an idiot."

You Know You're A Real Chilehead If........you no longer get asked to cook at family get-togethers.

You Know You're A Real Chilehead If........you can correctly spell and pronounce chipotle, capsicum chinense, scoville, and xnipec...and know what the terms mean.

You Know You're A Real Chilehead If........you never go into a grocery store without checking the hot sauce section first. (DH says if not first, he always checks it every visit)
    Last edited by cookieee; 05-23-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling

....you can correctly spell and pronounce chipotle, capsicum chinense, scoville, and xnipec...and know what the terms mean.

Okay .... had to look up the xnipec. Guess we're not TRUE chili-heads.

Thanks for the chuckle.

This weekend I made an awesome vegetarian vindaloo!

Here is a photo, but it doesn't show that much of the food
    http://whatwouldcathyeat.com/2010/05...itan-vindaloo/

And here is the recipe:

Seitan Vindaloo

1 small onion
    3 fresh hot peppers (preferably serrano), halved and seeded
    1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
    4 cloves garlic
    1/4 c. vinegar (cider or white wine)
    2 dried hot red chiles, soaked in water for 15 minutes (omit if you don’t like spicy food)
    1 t. turmeric
    1 t. ground cumin
    1 t. ground coriander
    1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 t. cayenne pepper
    1 T. canola oil
    1 t. black mustard seeds
    1-inch piece cinnamon stick
    5 cardamom pods
    1 large or 2 medium carrots, chopped (about 2/3 c.)
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 8-oz. package seitan, drained and cut into bite-size pieces
    1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1/2 c. water
    1 t. lemon juice
    1 t. sugar
    1/2 t. salt

To make the vindaloo paste, put the first 11 ingredients (through the cayenne pepper) in a food processor and process until smooth. Heat the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven. Add the mustard seeds, cinnamon and cardamom pods and cook for 1 minute or until the mustard seeds pop. Add carrots, green peppers and seitan, and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add your vindaloo paste and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 c. water. lemon juice, sugar and salt. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. (Add another 1/4 c. water if the mixture gets too dry.)
    Heart healthy recipes with attitude!
    www.whatwouldcathyeat.com

Quote Originally Posted by DeeK View Post
    Okay .... had to look up the xnipec. Guess we're not TRUE chili-heads.

Thanks for the chuckle.
    Your welcome, maybe some of these might make you qualify again

You Know Your A Real Chilehead If........your flatulence is capable of peeling paint off the walls.

You Know Your A Real Chilehead If........"Ring of Fire" and "Burns Twice" actually mean something to you and you can use both phrases in more than one way.

You Know Your A Real Chilehead If........you own at leat 3 of the following items that feature a chile pepper emblazoned on them: baseball hat, t-shirt, coffee cup, key chain, wind sock, underwear, swizzle sticks, bottle opener, Christmas ornament, bandana, or dog collar.

You Know Your A Real Chilehead If.........you own a dog named "Pepper" and a cat named "Chile".

Hope you enjoyed them.

You Know Your A Real Chilehead If........your flatulence is capable of peeling paint off the walls.

Not me. But, the men that live in my house --- THEY QUALIFY!

You Know Your A Real Chilehead If........you own at leat 3 of the following items that feature a chile pepper emblazoned on them: baseball hat, t-shirt, coffee cup, key chain, wind sock, underwear, swizzle sticks, bottle opener, Christmas ornament, bandana, or dog collar.
    DH and I definitely qualify!

I think it's time for a few more chuckles.

You Know Your A Real Chilehead if.......you consider hot sauce on your oatmeal as an intriguing idea.

if............you have figured a way to turbo-charge your industrial strength chile roaster a la Tim "Tool Time" Taylor in "Home Improvement."

if............you can't bear to finish off that last ounce of hot sauce, and must save it as a collectible.

if...........you have given Chile Pepper magazine as a gift on more than one occasion.

if...........you have vacationed at Avery Island, home of Tabasco Sauce.

if..........you didn't think the hot sauce scene in "Dumb and Dumber" was funny.

and

You Know You're a Real Chilehead if.........you consider HABANEROS to be one of the four basic food groups.

I think it's time for a few more chuckles.

You Know Your A Real Chilehead if.......you consider hot sauce on your oatmeal as an intriguing idea.

if............you have figured a way to turbo-charge your industrial strength chile roaster a la Tim "Tool Time" Taylor in "Home Improvement."

if............you can't bear to finish off that last ounce of hot sauce, and must save it as a collectible.

if...........you have given Chile Pepper magazine as a gift on more than one occasion.

if...........you have vacationed at Avery Island, home of Tabasco Sauce.

if..........you didn't think the hot sauce scene in "Dumb and Dumber" was funny.

and

You Know You're a Real Chilehead if.........you consider HABANEROS to be one of the four basic food groups.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, we've vacationed so we could "get to" Avery Island.

And yes, DH does consider habaneros one of the four basic food groups .... the BIGGEST part of the pyramid. LOL

We only have one "food" plant at our house --- a habanero carefully hidden in the hedgerow.

I think I'll pass on the chili oatmeal though.

PS: White chicken chili for dinner tonight --- I'm betting a certain someone will add habanero to his.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, we've vacationed so we could "get to" Avery Island.

And yes, DH does consider habaneros one of the four basic food groups .... the BIGGEST part of the pyramid. LOL

We only have one "food" plant at our house --- a habanero carefully hidden in the hedgerow.

I think I'll pass on the chili oatmeal though.

PS: White chicken chili for dinner tonight --- I'm betting a certain someone will add habanero to his.
    Dee, I think you all really qualify as "Chileheads" Just curious, did DH add the habaneros to his chili? Would you mind sharing the chili recipe?

Edited to add a review: I think the crushed tomatoes made it taste a little like ketchup and less like chili. Not spiced enough for our tastes. Not sure what I would have added -- maybe some garlic. We served it over white rice. Next time I would definitely go for the brown rice for a little added fiber.

Dee, I think you all really qualify as "Chileheads" Just curious, did DH add the habaneros to his chili? Would you mind sharing the chili recipe?
    We ended up going out to dinner. I'm making the chili tonight.

Here's the recipe I'm using (plus my changes in the brackets)

Turkey Corn Chili (Rachael Ray)

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 large bell pepper, chopped (I'm using a yellow pepper)
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1-1/2 pounds light and dark meat cooked turkey meat (diced)
    (I'm using 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce (Tabasco)
    Coarse salt
    2 cups frozen corn kernels (I'm using fresh that I sauteed with the onions and pepper)
    1 (32 oz) can chunky style crushed tomatoes
    2 cups chicken stock or broth (I used one can of broth)
    2 scallions, white and greens, chopped

(I added a can of canellini beans and a 14-oz can of diced tomatoes since I don't think our crushed tomatoes were the chunky style)

Heat a deep pot over medium high heat. Add oil to your pot, and add vegetables.

Add bay leaf and cook vegetables 5 minutes, stirring frequently reducing heat if veggies start to stick. Stir in turkey meat and season with chili powder, cumin and cayenne sauce. Season with a little salt, to taste. Add corn, tomatoes, and broth. Combine your chili well, adjust seasonings, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes. Garnish chili with chopped scallions.

*I added the corn at the beginning and mine will simmer for at least an hour.

We will top ours with sour cream and I'm SURE Steve will be putting the habaneros in his.

Thanks for asking for the recipe. If I hadn't typed it all I would not have noticed I forgot the chicken broth.
    Last edited by DeeK; 06-14-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: To add a review of the recipe

Here's the recipe I'm using (plus my changes in the brackets)

Turkey Corn Chili (Rachael Ray)
    DeeK, I can't believe I forgot to thank you for the chili recipe. Thank You !!!!

DeeK, I can't believe I forgot to thank you for the chili recipe. Thank You !!!!
    Oh no problem ... glad you gave it a try.

It's summer, it's hot, a good time to eat salad. This recipe sounds really good.

Orange-Chile Vinaigrette
    Yield: 3 cups Zest Factor: Mild

"Chef Du Jour restaurant uses this flavorful dressing for salads and to add a kick to sautes"

4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 TB toasted sesame seeds
    1 1/2 TB hot red pepper flakes
    zest and juice of 1 small orange
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup rice vinegar
    1 1/2 cups canola oil
    1/2 cup sesame oil

In a food processor, add all ingredients except both oils. Pulse until well blended, and then slowly add both oils to emulsify. Adjust to taste with either more red pepper flakes, sugar or orange juice.

Source: Chile Pepper mag. Sept. 2009

and from the same magazine, not too crazy about the salad part, but can't wait to make the vinaigrette for DH

Hearts of Palm Salad with Spicy Lime Vinaigrette
    Yield: 2 to 4 servings
    Zest Factor: Medium to Hot

For the vinaigrette:

1 TB Dijon mustard
    juice and zest of 1 lime
    1/ habanero chile, seeded, deveined and minced
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1 cup olive oil
    1/4 tsp salt

For the salad:

2 (14oz) cans hearts of palm, drained
    1/3 bunch cilantro, rinsed and dried, large stems removed
    2 navel oranges, cut into segments
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and deveined
    1 to 4 hot banana peppers, sliced

In a small bowl, combine the mustard, lime juice and zest, habanero pepper, and sugar. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking, until the dressing is emulsified. Add salt, and set aside.

Slice the hearts of palm down the middle, lengthwise, then in half on the bias. Layer the salad on a platter, beginning with the cilantro, then hearts of palm, orange segments, red pepper slices and finally the banana peppers.

Drizzle with the vinaigrette, and serve cold.

Source: Chile Pepper - September 2009

This was the harvest from my garden on Sunday. Do I qualify as a hot head?

Last edited by Mary Ann; 08-11-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    Alpogoalie: Any dog smart enough to use its paw to pin down a dog dish.

Oh they do make a beautiful picture. What type of peppers are they?

There are Anaheim, poblano, jalapeño, serrano and habanero. I have 2 jalapeño plants, and one of each of the others, and they are all doing great! I have 1 1/2 gallon bags full of jalapeños and about 3/4 of a gallon of habaneros in the freezer---that ought to hold me for a while!
    Alpogoalie: Any dog smart enough to use its paw to pin down a dog dish.

Wow, it's a good thing DH doesn't know where you live.

That is a very nice variety of plants.

I think that does qualify you as a "HOT HEAD"

Hi Hot Heads, it has been quite a while since anyone has posted here. Sorry to leave you alone for so long. Saw this recipe this morning and thought of you all.

Haitian Stewed Chicken (Poulet Creole)
    SERVES 6-8

1 3–4-lb. chicken, cut into 8 pieces
    1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
    3 cloves garlic
    2 scallions, roughly chopped
    2 sprigs parsley
    1 sprig thyme, stemmed
    1 Scotch bonnet chile, split
    1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
    2 tbsp. canola oil
    1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
    1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    2 tbsp. tomato paste

1. Place chicken in a shallow baking dish. Purée salt, garlic, scallions, parsley, thyme, Scotch bonnet chile, half the green bell peppers, and 1/2 cup water in a food processor and pour over chicken. Chill for 4 hours.

2. Heat oil in a 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Scrape marinade from chicken; reserve marinade. Add chicken to pot and cook, turning once, until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. Add remaining green bell peppers, onions, and red bell peppers to pot, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 8–10 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Return chicken to pot, along with reserved marinade and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover pot slightly; cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender, 25–30 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.

Source: Saveur-#136-March 2011

We were seed shopping yesterday and DH picked up habanero and serrano seeds. I'm pretty sure this is the first for us on those 2. We already have the jalapenos. I'm glad spring is just around the corner. I'm ready to play in the dirt!

Cookieee, that recipe looks great. Thanks for posting.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    We were seed shopping yesterday and DH picked up habanero and serrano seeds. I'm pretty sure this is the first for us on those 2. We already have the jalapenos. I'm glad spring is just around the corner. I'm ready to play in the dirt!

Cookieee, that recipe looks great. Thanks for posting.
    Hi donleyk, your welcome, and welcome to the Hot Head thread. Sounds like you will fit right in. Happy planting

Just read this in Food & Wine (April) It may not be very hot, but it sure sounds good.

Porch Crawler

5 cherries, pitted , plus 1 cherry for garnish
    3 mint leaves , plus 1 sprig for garnish
    1 HOT CHILE, such as serrano, halved and seeded
    Ice
    2 oz. white rum
    1 oz. fresh lemon juice
    1 oz. Simple Syrup
    2 oz. chilled club soda

In a cocktail shaker, muddle the 5 pitted cherries, mint leaves and chile. Add ice and the rum, lemon juice and simple syrup; shake well. Strain into an ice-filled collins glass, stir in the club soda and garnish with a cherry and a mint sprig.

Cheers !

Thanks for this thread.. lots of great recipes!

A belated thank you Julie

Whenever DH or I cook something that is too hot for me, I think of you all. Had these the other night. It sure helped clean out the spice cabinet.

Lamb & Cayenne Kefta

"Keftas, from North Africa, are meatballs prepared with ground lamb or beef and a number of herbs and spices."

1 lb lean ground lamb
    1 med. onion, finely chopped
    2 TB chopped fresh mint
    2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp ground allspice
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground cardamom
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    pita bread, low-fat yogurt, tomatoes and lettuce or
    cooked rice (optional)

Combine all ingredients, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Shape into 30 1 1/2" meatballs and thread them on six skewers. (You may slightly flatten them to make sausage shapes or leave them as balls.)

Prepare a gas grill or charcoal fire. Grill for 3 minutes on each side, or just until no longer pink inside. Alternatively, broil the meatballs for 2 minutes on each side.
    Serves 6

Source: Dave DeWitt- Eating Well mag. Oct 1991

We used 1/2 lb ground lamb and 1/2 lb ground round and made burgers instead of meatballs and didn't marinate them.

Like I said, to hot for me, but DH finished my burger. I think he liked them.

Thanks for posting the kefta recipe, cookieee. I made it yesterday and found it very tasty and pretty quick to make. My lazy susan spice rack got quite the workout as I searched out all the spices! I made 2 lb using beef, made 27 meatballs, froze half, and bbq'd the rest. We had them (3 each) with some fresh yogurt spooned over top and a generous sprinkle of ground sumac, some basmati rice, tomato slices, and pureed beets with ground coriander. Looking forward to the leftovers and an easy meal or 2 in a couple weeks.
    Cheers! Andy

Quote Originally Posted by hAndyman View Post
    Thanks for posting the kefta recipe, cookieee. I made it yesterday and found it very tasty and pretty quick to make. My lazy susan spice rack got quite the workout as I searched out all the spices! I made 2 lb using beef, made 27 meatballs, froze half, and bbq'd the rest. We had them (3 each) with some fresh yogurt spooned over top and a generous sprinkle of ground sumac, some basmati rice, tomato slices, and pureed beets with ground coriander. Looking forward to the leftovers and an easy meal or 2 in a couple weeks.
    Thank Y0U Andy, I really appreciate hearing that you not only made the recipe but you liked it. I bet "susan" got dizzy

I hope this is in time for the holiday weekend. CP says the Zest Factor is HOT

Potato and String Bean Salad with Horseradish Mustard
    4 servings

3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
    1/2 tsp salt, plus extra
    1/4 lb green beans, washed and cut into 1" pieces
    1 tsp red wine vinegar
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    3 TB horseradish mustard
    1/4 tsp lemon juice
    1 TB chopped fresh dill, for garnish
    freshly ground pepper

Place the potatoes in a medium pot, and fill with water to cover. Add the 1/2 tsp of salt, and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes for 6 minutes, and add the green beans to the water. Boil for another 2 minutes, strain, and transfer the potatoes and beans to a baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle vinegar over the vegetables, and chill them in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Mix the mayonnaise, horseradish mustard and lemon juice together, and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss the dressing with the cooled potatoes and beans, garnish with dill, and serve cold.

Source: Chile Pepper mag. 9-09

Here is a recipe for all of you "green thumb hot heads" (if you dry them out)

Birria Tacos

Recipe courtesy Marcela Valladolid for Food Network Magazine

3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
    Kosher salt
    5 dried California chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
    5 dried pasilla chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
    2 dried ancho chile peppers, stemmed and seeded
    4 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
    1 small white onion, quartered
    4 cloves garlic
    12 black peppercorns
    1 tablespoon achiote paste (available at Latin markets)
    Pinch of cumin seeds
    Freshly ground pepper
    12 to 16 small corn tortillas, warmed
    Pickled red onions, for topping (below)
    Lime wedges, for serving

Put the short ribs in a large heavy pot. Season with 3 teaspoons salt and cover with water by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium heat, skimming any foam from the surface. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the meat is tender, 2 hours, 30 minutes to 3 hours. Transfer the short ribs to a cutting board with a slotted spoon and let cool slightly, then shred the meat from the bone. Skim the fat off the broth in the pot; reserve the broth.

Meanwhile, soak the dried chiles in warm water until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain and transfer to a blender; add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppercorns, achiote paste and cumin and process until smooth, adding water if necessary.

Mix about 1 cup reserved broth into the chile puree, then pour the puree through a fine-mesh sieve into the pot of broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 30 minutes. Add the shredded meat and simmer 10 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Use tongs to divide the meat among the tortillas. Top with pickled onions; serve with the remaining cooking liquid and lime wedges.

Pickled Red Onions

Mix 1 thinly sliced large red onion, 3/4 cup each white vinegar and water, 6 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon each crumbled oregano and salt in a large resealable plastic bag; seal and shake, then refrigerate at least 24 hours.

Source: Food Network Mag. May 2011