Community Message Boards

Thread: Using up M&Ms--recipes?

Using up M&Ms--recipes?

I have some M&Ms hanging around from Christmas and Halloween and I volunteered to bring dessert to family dinner on Sunday. Anyone have any T&T recipes that will use them up?

Here are a couple. For the first, you can either use a boxed brownie mix (which is what I usually do) or a homemade brownie recipe that uses a 9 X 13 inch pan.

The second recipe makes a ton of cookies. This recipe uses both chocolate chips and M&M's.

M & M Brownies
    Woman’s Day magazine

Prepare a boxed brownie mix (9 X13 inch pan size - I like Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix) as directed for fudgy brownies. (Mix calls for 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oil and 1/4 cup water.) Stir 1/2 cup M & M’s into batter.

Grease bottom only of a 13 X 9 inch pan. Spread batter in pan. Sprinkle top with additional M & M’s (just for appearance). Bake 30 minutes at 325 degrees (if using a dark pan) or 350 (is using a shiny pan).

Merry Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Betty Crocker Holiday 2000 booklet

1-1/4 cups butter or margarine, slightly softened
    1/4 cup shortening
    1-1/4 cups sugar
    1-1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon vanilla
    2 eggs
    4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 bag (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
    1 bag (16 ounces) candy coated chocolate candies (M & M’s)

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat butter, shortening, sugars, vanilla and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with a spoon. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. (Dough will be stiff.) Stir in chocolate chips and M&M’s.

Drop dough by level teaspoonfuls or #70 cookie/ice cream scoop onto ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper lined sheets).

Bake 10 to 11 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

Makes 9 dozen cookies.

Here is a picture of the Merry Chocolate Chip Cookies:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes....9-50d591d5ee14
    Last edited by peachesncream; 01-27-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: adding photo

Here's one posted by a former member named Shelly from way back when (2000)!

Very tasty. I've never made the full batch since it's so big.

Monster Cookies

Serving Size : 54 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 cups chunky peanut butter
    6 cups rolled oats
    9 ounces M&Ms plain chocolate candy
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together margarine, sugars, vanilla, and soda until light and fluffy. Add eggs and then peanut butter, mixing well after each addition. Stir in oats and M&Ms and mix well. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with fork. Bake for 8-10 minutes. ( Cookies should look a bit underdone when you take them out.)
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Here's my favorite:
    Open mouth.
    Insert bag opening.
    Tilt bag.
    Chew and swallow.
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I use the basic Toll house chocolate chip recipe and use the M&M's instead of the chocolate chips. Then I spread it out on parchment paper on a 15x10 bar pan. Bake till golden brown. Usually a bug hit with young and old.

I love using extra candy in brownies. I've not tried m&ms but I can't see why they wouldn't be good. Just mix them in any brownie batter, pour it in the pan and put a few on the top for good measure.

Rice Krispie Treats are really good w/ M & M's.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

This was posted by tomboy on the boards a few years ago. I've never tried it but it certainly looks delicious

Giant M&M Cookie Cake
    2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
    1 1/2 cups plain M&Ms
    1 cup chopped pecans
    Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
    Sweetened cocoa, for garnish
    Sweetened whipped cream, accompaniment

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 13 or 14-inch, light colored, round pizza pan with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper (Pam works wonderfully).

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Add the eggs, beating well after the addition of each.

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix with a whisk. Add to the butter mixture, mixing to incorporate, and add the vanilla extract. Fold in the dark chips, M&Ms and the pecans. Spread across the bottom of the prepared pan and bake until the edges are golden and the cookie is set but the center is still slightly soft, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To serve, sift confectioners' sugar and sweetened cocoa over the top, and cut into wedges. Serve sweetened whipped cream on the side.

Yield: 20-ish slices
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

M&M Pancakes!

Yup, you read it right. You can actually put some of your M&M's in your pancakes! Add it in your mixture and it will be like choco chip pancakes, only yummy M&M's!

The treat that I make around the holidays that always gets rave reviews is Pretzel Kisses -- pretzels with either a Hershey's Kiss or a Rolo on top, softened in the oven, and then an M&M on top. I did them all with Rolos this year, and people loved them! I'm sure there's a recipe floating around here somewhere, but here's what I do:

INGREDIENTS
    Bag of pretzels (I've used regular mini twists or the "snaps" that look like checkerboards)
    Rolos or Hershey's Kisses
    M&Ms

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
    Lay out pretzels in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place a kiss or Rolo on top of each one.
    Bake at 300 for about five minutes. This can be tricky -- you can't overbake, because they'll get melty and messy, but you can't underbake, because then you can't squish the M&M on top. This year, I used Rolos and it took about 5-6 minutes. Also depends on how fresh the chocolate. I like to err on the side of underbaking, then test and put them back in for a minute, if needed.
    Remove from oven and IMMEDIATELY press an M&M into the kiss or Rolo, squishing the chocolate down into a nice blob.
    I generally put them in the fridge for a few minutes to set, otherwise they're messy to store.

Just wanted to report back. I had enough M&Ms to make two recipes so I made tomboy's M&M Cookie Cake--I love this and have made it before. It has the chewy mall-store cookie texture and is just great. I used about 1 1/2 c M&Ms, 1 c walnuts, and no chips. This time it overflowed the pan though!

The post about Monster Cookies reminded me of a recipe that I had gotten from Kari on this BB from One Smart Cookie for Monster Cookies and I used up my other 3/4 c of M&Ms in it. These were OK--chewy and I didn't really think about how not having any flour in the recipe would affect the cookies. A little too healthy of a texture and I should have been brave enough to remove them from the oven a bit earlier. Sadly, most of these ended up in the trash.

Monster Cookies

1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
    1/2 cup light peanut butter
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 cups oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup chocolate chips
    1/4 cup M&Ms Minis (chopped plain M&Ms)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine butter and peanut butter in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, egg, egg white, and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Add the oats, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and M&Ms; mix well.

Drop spoonfuls of dough about 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden. Let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.

Per cookie: 146 cals, 5.9g fat (1.5g sat), 21.5g carbs, 9.6mg chol, 128.7mg sod, 1.7g fib, 35% cals from fat

**Kari's ntoes: Excellent! Not as rich or PB-y as my mother's recipe, but still very tasty! Dense, thick, and hearty with slightly crispy edges and a chewy middle. I made bigger cookies, getting 12 from the recipe, but still just baked them for about 16 minutes so they wouldn't get too crispy, as I like some chewiness to my cookies. I used full-fat PB, old-fashioned oats, and 1/2 cup of regular M&Ms instead of the 1/4 cup of minis.