Community Message Boards

Thread: Cooking Sausage in Crockpot???

Cooking Sausage in Crockpot???

I have seen a few threads on hot dogs in a crockpot, but I was wondering what you think of raw bratwursts in a crockpot (to be finished on a grill later). I would like to leave them in beer and onions until ready to grill. I would pr!ck each sausage a few times and probably leave it on low for 7-8 hours.
    Thoughts? Will I end up with tough sausage? Raw sausage?
    - Josie

I've never done bratwurst but I put regular sausage in marinara in the crockpot all the time. I always par-cook them, mostly just because that's what my mom did. I put about an inch of water in the pot, pierce the sausages a few times and bring to a boil then simmer about 10 minutes.

Out of curiosity I just checked my not-your-mother's slow cooker cookbook and it reads 'if you use any type of pork sausage, unless you buy it fully cooked, you must brown and cook it before adding it to the slowcooker, or remove the casing and cook the crumbled meat Never add raw sausage to the slow cooker since it may not cook thoroughly."

Edited to add I just realized you are grilling so I think you'd be OK in doing this, as long as you have enough liquid in the cooker they won't dry out and then the grill will finish them off as far as food safety goes.

We do this frequently for large gatherings in the summer, but we reverse the order - grill first and then keep warm in the crockpot with beer and onions.
    ~Moneypenny~

Quote Originally Posted by Mpenny1001 View Post
    We do this frequently for large gatherings in the summer, but we reverse the order - grill first and then keep warm in the crockpot with beer and onions.
    I'd think this would be the correct order. By putting the grilled/cooked sausages in with the beer and onions, you'll ensure that the beer and onions are safe. Otherwise, you'd need to boil the beer and onions after removing the sausages for grilling.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraL View Post
    I'd think this would be the correct order. By putting the grilled/cooked sausages in with the beer and onions, you'll ensure that the beer and onions are safe. Otherwise, you'd need to boil the beer and onions after removing the sausages for grilling.
    I'm betting she does not plan to eat the beer and onions, but was rather using them to flavor the brats. Just based on how we ate them growing up.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I would advise that you grill it first before cooking it in the crockpot.

Lately I have been browning Italian sausage and then putting them in the crockpot on high for 3-5 hours in marinara sauce. They turn out perfectly!.

How do you guys normally cook brats? I can't imagine just grilling them first. In an ideal world, I would simmer them in beer with onions, then grill and dip back in the beer broth. Brats cooked in beer > *
    - Josie