Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you take glow sticks on a plane?

Can you take glow sticks on a plane?

I know that is a truly random question! We are leaving on vacation tomorrow, and packing a few fun toys & gifts for some nieces, nephews & friends' kids. I found these really fun glow stick toys that would make great gifts (they are the thin kind you use for necklaces). Then it occurred to me that they are filled with fluid.

Is the TSA going to give me hassle for this? I hate it when I'm pegged for extra scanning, bag searches, etc.

What are your thoughts?

My advice is to pack it in a checked bag. TSA is so random lately--the rules can vary somewhat. JMHO
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I definitely wouldn't take it in a carry on bag. I made the mistake once of packing a small jar of jalapeno jelly a friend gave me in a carry on. I had to ditch it completely.

Thanks for the reality check. That was my guess, too. I hate checking bags, so will just find another use for the glow sticks (DH & I will have to play with them ourselves :-) I've had to ditch things like honey & jam before too! I'm great with obvious things, like liquid eye makeup remover, but keep getting busted with food items! What a pain

My SIL just flew with my niece and packed applesauce and diced peaches in her bag. She got to keep the applesauce but had to toss the peaches. Whatever.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"