Community Message Boards

Thread: Using up some cottage cheese in a pasta sauce?

Using up some cottage cheese in a pasta sauce?

I have a bit less than 1 cup of small-curd cottage cheese leftover that I would like to use up. Not a real fan of cottage cheese, unless its part of a recipe.

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe that uses cottage cheese in a pasta sauce, creamy perhaps. I don't have any pasta shells, but I penne etc and a pretty well stocked pantry.

Thanks,

I have a recipe for "Hungarian Noodles and Peas" that calls for 1/2 cup of cottage cheese if you are interested.

I hav a recipe that calls for 2 cups--but you could cut the recipe in half (it makes a lot). Our family really likes this recipe..I have used dried basil when I did not have fresh on hand (although fresh is better) and I have omitted the broccoli when I was out of it. You also can use the leftover sauce as a condiment. We have used it in wraps and on sandwiches. My kids love it do no realize it has spinach in it. Oh, and I also add more garlic...

PENNE WITH CREAMY WALNUT SAUCE
    Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites

1/2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
    10 oz fresh spinach
    2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
    1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil
    1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
    Ground black pepper to taste
    1 to 1- 1/2 lbs penne (tubular pasta)
    1 head broccoli
    Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. To toast walnuts, place them in a single layer on an unoiled baking tray in a conventional or toaster oven at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes, until fragrant and golden brown.

2. Bring a large covered pot of water to a rapid boil. While the water heats, wash the spinach and transfer it to a separate large pot. The water clinging to the leaves should provide enough moisture to steam it. Cover and cook the spinach on medium-high heat for about 4 to 8 minutes, until wilted but still bright green. Drain.

3. In a food processor or blender, combine the spinach, walnuts, cottage cheese, garlic, Parmesan, basil, and salt and puree until smooth, working in batches if necessary. Add pepper to taste and set aside.

4. When the water boils, stir in the pasta, cover, and return to a boil. Then uncover the pot and cook until the pasta is al dente, about 7 minutes.

5. While the pasta cooks, cut the broccoli into spears, blanch it in boiling water to cover until just tender, about 5 minutes, and set it aside.

6. Drain the pasta and serve immediately in individual warmed bowls, topped with spinach-walnut sauce and several steamed broccoli spears. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if you wish.

Here is a Cooking Light recipe for mac and cheese that uses cottage cheese, you can definitely make it with penne pasta!
    Macaroni and Cheese

And here is an Ellie Krieger recipe for Baked Penne! I love all her recipes and this one sounds delicious too!
    Four Cheese Baked Penne
    Doesn't this look good?? (I may make it myself this weekend!)

Let us know if you try any of the suggestions you get!
    Ana

Not a pasta recipe, but I like to scramble an egg with some cottage cheese; it makes the egg very fluffy and creamy.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. It turns out my pantry challenge of eating thru my fridge and pantry..... has led me to not such a well stocked kitchen after all. So looks like some shopping might be in order since I don't have many of the things called for in the recipes.

I am stocked but just with an interesting array..... way too many cans of black beans, chicken broth, and chocolate chips.

Barbara, I've never heard of adding cottage cheese to scrambled eggs, so will give that a try too.

I copied the recipes, and Cookieee would love to see the recipe if you have it already in your computer.

Aninha and VACooker -- thoso pasta recipes sound great. I'll be trying those.

The ideas will certainly come in handy since I often have leftover cottage cheese from recipes. And, I needed some other options that using up cottage cheese in an old CL favorite, Butter Crunch Lemon Cheese Bars.

Thanks.