Community Message Boards

Thread: What is the life span of a blow dryer?

What is the life span of a blow dryer?

How often does your blow dryer last? I have bought inexpensive blow dryers and expensive blow dryers (from the salon). Yet, it seems like I can't find one to last more than 18 months or so.

Granted, I have to blow my wavy (and not in a pretty way) hair straight, so I used it about 10 minutes per day....but still....seems a little bit crazy that they burn out so frequently.

How long does your blow dryer last? Any T&T brands that might work better for me?
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

Mine usually last 3 or 4 years with light use. Read this review and you can see why I have this Solano hair dryer on my Amazon wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by SDMomChef View Post
    Yet, it seems like I can't find one to last more than 18 months or so.
    I think I usually fry mine in about 18 months to 2 years. I ONCE bought a really expensive one from beauty.com and it died faster than all the rest, so now I stick with the nicest one I can find at the corner drugstore.

I think I can usually get around 3 years or so at least. Right now I have a Revlon 1875 dryer. I think mine usually get really worn out cosmetically before they fail mechanically.

Gumbeaux, that Solano drier looks really good. Hmmmm....

One day past the warranty. Same with curling irons and straighteners. I think they have timers on these things or expiration dates or something.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I have a basic one I picked up at Walmart probably 6 years ago. I don't use it every day, and when I do it's only on probably 3-5 minutes.

Are you making sure the end is clear and free of stray hairs? My husband complains every time he goes to use my dryer that it's "clogged". I would imagine that might put an added loaded on the dryer and wear it out quicker.

My favorite blow dryer is ... Get this ... 15 years old. Love it.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Just a little FYI, but maybe you know this already. The back of the blow dryer is covered by a little screen. Take an old toothbrush and periodically brush the dust out of there. You would be so surprised at all the dust that accumulates in there. Voila! Increased power and fewer minutes to get the job done. Mine used to shut off or blow not so warm air until I started cleaning it out. Mine is years old, and I still feel like I should get another one for just in case.

Mine last about 3 to 4 years, same with the curling irons. I try and keep a spare of at least the curling iron just in case the one quits working. I only wish I could find a blow dryer that lasted me 15 years.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by tea4one View Post
    I only wish I could find a blow dryer that lasted me 15 years.
    That's impossible unless you bought it 15 years ago. The manufacturers changed the rules My cheap, old Windomere from Target is still going strong. Have to admit that it doesn't work very hard with my short hair.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I second cleaning the screen. Sometimes it is a real pain -- with my current hair dryer I use the back end of a large needle. Mine seems to need cleaning about every three months.

Good luck!

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by MKSquared View Post
    Wow! Very impressive!
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

Quote Originally Posted by MKSquared View Post
    Mine is at least that old. I use the crevice tool on the vacuum hose to clean the screen every now and then, whenever it seems to be getting "linty". I used to burn dryers out regularly, but since Ive cleaned the screen I've never needed to buy another.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

I'd say that in 20 years, I've had 4 or 5 blow dryers. I use mine daily, not sure for how many minutes. I've never really given it much thought as to how long it should last, but as mentioned here, you need to clean that little "lint vent" at the from time to time so that the air flow isn't reatricted. I think most of mine have been Conair or Revlon, nothing fancy.