Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: I need help with ideas for breakfast items for Church Hospitality Breakfast

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    422

    Question I need help with ideas for breakfast items for Church Hospitality Breakfast

    Hi all - My church has a "coffee - hospitality" hour between early service and Sunday school time. I've seen mostly cookie bar type items, small store purchased min-muffins, etc. We are on the team for bringing treats for the month of March and I need something that will keep overnight and still taste good (I would make the evening before) and I need four dozen. I already have an apple pie muffin and a sugar donut muffin recipe that I'll be using for two of the Sundays but I would love to bring a mini-cinnamon roll type of item one Sunday. Any suggestions for "mini-cinnis" that will keep well or any other ideas you all might have would be great - there are so many good bakers here. Thanks!
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

  2. #2
    I don't know if you would have time for this, but I often make cinnamon rolls for work, etc. When I make them, I make them days ahead. I freeze them before the second rise of the dough. The night before I want them, I take them out and leave them on my counter with a clean dish rag over them. I have my oven auto turn on so its preheated when I wake up. Then I stick the cinnamon rolls in when I wake up. They bake in 20 minutes or so. Then I let them sit for 15 minutes to set up. Then they are ready for a quick drizzle of glaze and they are ready to go.

    Its not something you could totally do the night before, but they are good and work for me.

  3. #3
    I'm doing Fellowship snacks at our church on 2/28. I'm doing marbled banana bread (CL recipe). I do this in 4 mini-loaf pans and slice into small pieces. Another suggestion that I've done in the past is "French Breakfast Puffs" from pioneer woman's site. These went over very well and in fact I made then froze and thawed the day before.

    I'm also doing Ina's brownies (lots of people LOVE chocolate in the morning in our group!) and want something else. Would you mind sharing you "sugar donut muffin recipe"? That sounds like something that would be a good variety to what I have.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by psims2000 View Post
    I'm doing Fellowship snacks at our church on 2/28. I'm doing marbled banana bread (CL recipe). I do this in 4 mini-loaf pans and slice into small pieces. Another suggestion that I've done in the past is "French Breakfast Puffs" from pioneer woman's site. These went over very well and in fact I made then froze and thawed the day before.

    I'm also doing Ina's brownies (lots of people LOVE chocolate in the morning in our group!) and want something else. Would you mind sharing you "sugar donut muffin recipe"? That sounds like something that would be a good variety to what I have.

    Thanks!
    I'm happy to share this recipe. We love it because it's so easy to whip up and they actually keep well for a couple of days by which time they're usually all gone. This recipe comes from a blog I used to read called "Baking Bites"

    Sugar Donut Muffins
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    2 tsp baking power
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup milk (low fat is fine)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 tbsp butter, melted
    1/2 cup sugar, for rolling
    Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
    In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color.
    In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Pour into egg mixture and stir to combine. Pour in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
    Divide batter evenly into 10 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
    Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
    While muffins are baking, melt butter and pour remaining sugar into a small bowl.
    When muffins are done, lightly brush the top of each with some melted butter, remove from the pan and roll in sugar. Cool on a wire rack.
    Makes 10 muffins.

    Here's a link to the actual website: http://bakingbites.com/2008/09/sugar-donut-muffins/#.

    I also love the idea of the marbled banana bread (I'm going to google it and see if I can come up with a recipe) and the brownie bites. We have lots of young children in our congregation and you can just see their anticipation to see what's on the table as the service draws to a close. I'm sure the brownie bites would be a big hit with them. Thanks for a couple of good ideas!
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyWild View Post
    I don't know if you would have time for this, but I often make cinnamon rolls for work, etc. When I make them, I make them days ahead. I freeze them before the second rise of the dough. The night before I want them, I take them out and leave them on my counter with a clean dish rag over them. I have my oven auto turn on so its preheated when I wake up. Then I stick the cinnamon rolls in when I wake up. They bake in 20 minutes or so. Then I let them sit for 15 minutes to set up. Then they are ready for a quick drizzle of glaze and they are ready to go.

    Its not something you could totally do the night before, but they are good and work for me.
    I'm going to try this and see how it works. I'm usually a early riser so this sounds doable. Do you have a T&T cinnamon roll recipe you like?
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trishinomaha View Post
    I would love to bring a mini-cinnamon roll type of item one Sunday. Any suggestions for "mini-cinnis" that will keep well or any other ideas you all might have would be great - there are so many good bakers here. Thanks!
    Here's a recipe for Mini Maple Cinnamon Rolls that looks really good...
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/M...Cinnamon-Rolls

    Here's one for Mini Toffee Rolls that uses crescent rolls that looks interesting...
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Mini-Toffee-Rolls

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •