Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP with luncheon during Lent

HELP with luncheon during Lent

I just got tasked with putting together a going away luncheon for next Friday. We are going with a BBQ theme with shredded pork sandwiches, veggie trays, beans, chips, and desserts, and hopefully more to come.

I just realized that its Lent season so now I'm at a loss of how to accomodate those who can't eat the pork. I thought about tuna salad for sandwiches but I'm not sure that will go over well. The dillema I have is that I do not have access to an oven so any ideas for hot dishes will need to work in a crockpot. I had thought of mac & cheese, but I would imagine that will become mush in a crockpot. The other consideration is that since there are only a few of us paying for this we are trying to think of some economical dishes to feed a crowd.

I would appreciate any suggestions. TIA!

How about a hearty soup, such as minestrone, in the crock pot? Other non-meat options for sandwiches could be a trio of sandwich toppings--egg salad, pimento cheese, along with the tuna you mentioned--so that people have a choice.

If pimento cheese (not the same as pimento loaf) is not in your vocabulary, sorry, it is a southern treat. I'd be happy to provide a recipe if you like.

I would reccommend a vegetarian chili - Vegetarian Times website has a couple of crockpot chili recipes. I'm sure that the Inspired Vegetarian threads could also be helpful.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

How about New England clam chowder? Or a nice lentil soup (doctor it up with a little sherry to make it taste special)?
    Connie

CookinginMO/KS, in your post you didn’t say what size crown you will be feeding. Will the guests be making their own sandwiches or are they going to be premade? If the sandwiches are premade it will help the line move faster and the food will go farther….Just a thought. This might not be a problem if you don’t have a large group to serve.

When I used to do catering and wanted to offer a non-meat option I found that if the guests were serving themselves the meat eaters would also help themselves to the non-meat option. So unless there is a ton of extra food someone at the end of the line might not get a full meal. Just something to keep in mind when serving a crowd.

If you want to stay with the sandwich theme, I saw a recipe the other day I think it was called something like Mediterranean tuna sandwiches. Looked very good. I can’t remember where I saw the recipe but I can remember the ingredient list.

Tuna salad
    Tuna
    Red onion
    Capers
    Lemon juice
    Parsley
    Artichoke hearts (the marinated type)
    Olives (I am pretty sure they were kalamata olives but I think what ever kind you like will work
    Served on a crusty sandwich roll with lettuce and sliced tomatoes

If you have a Costco or a Smart and Final near you they will have large cans of tuna so you won’t have to open up a zillion small cans. It will also be more cost effective.

Also depending on the crowd you are serving some kind of wrap might be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lantana View Post
    If pimento cheese (not the same as pimento loaf) is not in your vocabulary, sorry, it is a southern treat. I'd be happy to provide a recipe if you like.
    Hmmm, pimento cheese. My southern grandma used to make that for us.
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere

You all have been so helpful. I'm probably taking on more than I initially planned but I think I'll do a crockpot vegie soup of some sort and a mediterranean tuna on focaica (found googling thanks to Vinca). I'm expecting 40 - 50 attending so I really like the idea of pre-made sandwiches since we have some heathens who tend to be overly zealous and pile on the meat and would not think to save enough for everyone. By making and serving the sandwiches I can serve even portions and separate those meat vs not-meat eaters. I was thinking of Sams for the tuna, but I see Aldi's has it on sale for .49 this week and I doubt I can get below that. Lets hope I can pull this off!

Sounds like you have a good plan. I am sure you will find that it will be easier than it looks right now.

A couple more tips I would like to add that you might find helpful. When planning an event I find that keeping lists is very helpful. Keeps me on tack and organized. Also getting as much done in advance as possible will save your sanity and if you have help don’t be afraid to delegate duties.

Most of all relax and have a good time. If you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask. We’ll be happy to help anyway we can.
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere

You are very kind to consider the non-meat eaters. But unless this is for a religious group and one that practices no meat during Lent (i.e. Catholic) I don't think you need to worry so much about it. I am Catholic and give up meat and sweets for Lent every year, but I make do with whatever is served. I can usually find plenty to eat from the sides and other offerings.

Ah, Vinca, you are so right about the lists. Luckily over the weekend I made up a list of all my options so this morning when 4 people approached me about helping out I did just what you suggested & pulled out my handy list and delegated. So now I have some hearty sides lined up and I'm starting to feel like I might just pull this off.

Romandub, thanks for the easing my anxiety. I think I got myself all nerved up when I realized it was Lent...not wanting to exlude anyone, but now I feel like there are plenty of other options so they won't leave hungry. Besides, its really all about the going away celebration, not the food, right?