Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipes for Last Minute Dr. Seuss's Birthday Celebration

Recipes for Last Minute Dr. Seuss's Birthday Celebration

I'm throwing a last minute Dr. Seuss's Birthday party tonight. DS and DD love Dr. Seuss and wanted to have a special theme dinner.

However, I have a limited amount of time, as we have plans this evening. I plan on making the Green Eggs and Ham CL recipe from several years back, and I thought about having some Swedish fish-- "one fish, two fish" to decorate the kids' plates.

DS mentioned he'd like Circus McGurkus pink lemonade, so that's easy enough. Can anyone think of an easy dessert with some Dr. Seuss flair?

thanks,
    mlynn

Here's a link for some Dr. Seuss inspired recipes...

http://www.parentsconnect.com/parent...-recipes.jhtml
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I remember one of the books having a dessert called 'schlopp' that looked pretty much like ice cream sundaes.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

Recipes compliments of: Parentsconnect.com
    Dr. Seuss's Schlopp With a Cherry on Top

It's schloppy, it's gloppy, it's yogurty parfait fun! So why not make Schloppy seconds for everyone?!?

½ cup homemade granola (or use store bought to save time!)
    1 ripe banana
    4 oz. plain or berry flavored yogurt
    1 maraschino cherry

Cut the banana in half and peel it. Cut each half lengthwise to make 4 long slices. If desired, heat in a frying pan or microwave.

Put ¼ cup of granola in a bowl, top with half the yogurt, and add the banana slices. Add another ¼ cup of granola and the remaining yogurt and top with a cherry.

OR

Dr. Seuss's Sneetch Treats

This roasty and toasty marshmallow treat is a scrumptious snack that Sneetches (and kids!) both love to eat!

8 oz. butter, melted
    1½ cups brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1½ cups flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    ½ tsp salt
    3½ cups uncooked, 1-minute oatmeal
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup golden raisins
    2 chocolate bars, broken into squares
    6 large marshmallows
    Wooden skewers soaked in water or BBQ forks

Preheat oven to 350°

Combine melted butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a bowl. Mix well.
    In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to the butter mixture.
    Add the oatmeal, walnuts and raisins. Mix well.
    Drop the batter (1 tablespoon at a time) onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie slightly with the back of a spatula.
    Bake 12 minutes until golden and firm. Remove cookies to a cake rack to cool (feel free to sample a few cookies... there will still be plenty for the Sneetch Treats!)

Once cookies have cooled, put a square of chocolate onto each cookie.

Heat up your grill (or smoker... or fire pit... or oven).

Place marshmallows on skewers or BBQ forks. Slowly roast marhmallows over the grill until they're golden on each side.

Carefully slide marshmallows off of forks and onto the chocolate-covered cookies. Place another cookie on top of the Marshmallow.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

I made Wocket in Your Pocket Cupcakes and Yertle the Turtle Cupcakes for my boys classes. Yertle was very easy with M&M's for the back, a vanilla wafer for the head, pez's for legs and licorice for the tail. The Wocket ones were made in ice cream cones and then I printed out some Wockets and put on popsicle sticks and stuck into them. The Pre-K kids had a blast playing with the Wockets as Puppets.

Cheryl

Mlynn,
    What did you end up with? Just curious
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Smile

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! I've filed then away so I'm not in this dilemma again next year.

Because of the time crunch, I ended up making the CL Green Eggs and Ham, which my kids devoured. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...kage_id=654647 I subbed bacon for the pancetta, because it was on sale and I plan on making the CL Fettucine Alfredo with Bacon tomorrow.

I couldn't find Swedish fish, but had Goldfish Crackers on hand. I also made lemonade and added strawberry puree to make a pink Circus McGurkus pink lemonade.

For dessert, I bought red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting from the local bakery and put red and blue sprinkles on top. (Kind of lame, but the kids loved them.)

I'll have to try the Sneetch Treats and other suggestions--we're big Dr. Seuss fans, so I doubt I'll wait for the next birthday.