Community Message Boards

Thread: Looking for your best slider ideas/recipes

Talking Looking for your best slider ideas/recipes

I found some slider buns, so we've decided to make several kinds of sliders for an Oscar party on Sunday. Does anyone have any good recipes? I did a search, but we've mostly just discussed the buns in the past, not actual recipes. Any tips would be appreciated as well.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I don't really have any recipes. You may want to check out Diego Zhang's menu:http://http://www.diegozhangs.com/pdf/takeOut.pdf

I haven't been, yet, but as I understand it all the bugers they make are sliders with some unique flavor combos. When I have made sliders I found that King's Hawaiian rolls make a great bun. They even have a recipe for teriyaki sliders you might like.

http://www.kingshawaiian.com/recipes...edTeriSliders/

mlynn

Thanks for that link, mlynn! I copied the recipe for Island Pizza and can see making it with hoisin as the sauce and teriyaki chicken and green onion as the toppings. YUM!

As far as sliders, use could make the Chicken Burgers with Peanut Sauce as sliders. I do mine in a skillet instead of on the grill. I think these would also be quite tasty on Hawaiian rolls.

Chicken Burgers with Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Grilling Poultry
    Sandwiches, Burgers, Wraps

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Sauce:
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
    1 teaspoon water
    1 teaspoon rice vinegar
    1 clove garlic, minced
    Burgers:
    1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon chili paste with garlic
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, chopped
    cooking spray
    4 (2 ounce) sandwich rolls with sesame seeds
    1 cup onion sprouts or alfalfa sprouts

To prepare sauce, combine first 6 ingredients, stirring with a whisk until smooth.

Prepare grill.

To prepare burgers, place onions and next 5 ingredients (onions through chicken) in a food processor; process until coarsely ground. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

Place patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done. Place rolls, cut side down, on grill rack; grill 1 minute or until toasted. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each roll; top each serving with 1/4 cup sprouts, about 1 tablespoon sauce, and top half of roll.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Your post made me think of Rachael Ray--she has a burger in every issue of her magazine. Her web site has quite a few recipes for sliders.

Sliders search

This short video from the blog Food Wishes, is not so much about a recipe as it is about technique -

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/...ting-your.html
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

My brother made a slider recipe from allrecipes.com recently, and they were so good! I'm not sure if there is more than one slider recipe on that site, but the main ingredients in this one were ground beef, onion soup mix, mayonnaise and cheddar cheese. I don't know whether or not he made any changes to the recipe though.

When I hear sliders, I only think of the original White Castle sliders. Here is a GOOD copy cat recipe. I use hot dog buns and slice into thirds. You can also add extras to the patty after it's cooked, but I don't. Oh, and I line my pan with parchment paper.

1 1/2 lbs ground beef 1/4 c. bread crumbs 1 egg 1 pkg onion soup mix. : mix together. add pepper. and mix. spread out on a baking sheet. chop onion and spreak on top of gr beef: poke holes in meat with fork. bake at 325 for 15-20.

Beef will curl a bit. drain grease. cut beef to size of buns.
    add pickle and cheese. place on dish and sprinkle burgers with water. cover with plastic wrap and micro for steamed bun effect

I don't have a recipe but just thought it was funny that the post just after yours is about making a "castle cake". Maybe you should make one for your party and you could have a White Castle theme
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

I did two types of sliders for my super bowl party. DH made a ground beef slider, his own recipe with bacon and chipotle cheddar, BBQ sauce, and then I made CL's Chicken Salad for the other sliders. They were both great! I think you can make your favorite burger/sandwich in slider size with no problem. Wal-Mart has white and wheat dollar rolls and that is what we used.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

These are a new favorite for us...

CL Sliders with Shallot-Dijon Relish
    Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 slider)
    Ingredients

* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 pound ground sirloin
    * Cooking spray
    * 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    * 2 teaspoons butter, softened
    * 8 (1-ounce) Parker House rolls
    * 16 dill pickle chips

Preparation

1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.

2. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and sirloin. Divide meat mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/4-inch-thick patty. Lightly coat both sides of patties with cooking spray. Place patties on grill rack; grill for 3 minutes on each side or until done.

3. Combine shallots, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and butter in a small bowl, stirring well. Cut rolls in half horizontally. Spread shallot mixture evenly over cut sides of rolls. Layer 1 patty and 2 pickle chips on bottom half of each roll; top with top halves of rolls.
    Nutritional Information

Calories:
    167 (37% from fat)
    Fat:
    6.8g (sat 2.6g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.8g)
    Protein:
    10.8g
    Carbohydrate:
    14.2g
    Fiber:
    1g
    Cholesterol:
    23mg
    Iron:
    1.8mg
    Sodium:
    404mg
    Calcium:
    7mg

Our favorite sliders are deer burgers with current ketchup and a few sliced veges (tomato, zuchinni, onion, pickle, lettuce or slaw, etc.). Salmon sliders are good too. We use left over grilled or broiled salmon rather than canned salmon to make these. They make excellent sliders, especially if the seasonings are increased to keep the perky taste when serving with buns. I've mixed and formed the burgers up to 24 hours in advance and kept in fridge until ready to cook. Oven frying works well, start on bottom shelf and then switch to broiler (no need to flip), unfortunately i didn't write down the oven temperature I started with.

Thai Salmon Cakes Alaskaseafood.org

2 cans (14.75 oz can) Alaska Salmon
    1 Tbsp peanut or canola oil
    3/4 c diced yellow onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tsp seeded and minced jalapeno pepper
    1-1/2 tsp minced lemon grass (use lemon zest if no lemon grass available)
    Juice and zest of 1/2 lime
    1 tbsp plus 1 tsp soy sauce (use tamari)
    2 tsp sugar
    1-1/2 c finely sliced green onions
    1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
    2 eggs
    3 tbsp cornstarch
    salt and pepper to taste

Drain and chunk salmon. Heat oil in small saucepan over medium low heat. Add yellow onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and jalapeno pepper and lemon grass; cook an additional 1--2 minutes. Cool. In large bowl, combine zest, soy sauce, sugar, green onions and cilantro. Mix well and reserve. In small bowl, whisk eggs. Add cornstarch and mix. Add egg and cooled onion mixtrues in large bowl; fold gently to mix. Add salmon and carefully fold until just combined. Form into 8 (3oz) cakes and chill for at least 30 minutes. Pan fry salmon cakes in oil over medium heat until well browned or heated through. Serve hot with sauce.

Makes 4 servings.

Hot and Sour sauce
    2 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp plus 1 tsp rice vinegar
    2 tbsp chili sauce
    1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro.

Dissolve sugar in vinegar. Add chili and cilantro; mix together. Makes 1/2 C.
    Anne

It's probably just me, but I don't get the whole slider thing. If you're going to take the time and energy to make a "sandwich", why make teeny ones?

But I'm sure it's just me. ;-)
    barbara-cook

I started making them, long before I heard of sliders, when I planned burgers for dinner and forgot to get the bread sponge going before I went to work. When I go home I made baking powder biscuits (rolled and then cut out with a small canning jar) and down sized the burgers to fit the 'buns'. The kids, then small, loved them so biscuit burgers became part of our rotation.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by barbara-cook View Post
    It's probably just me, but I don't get the whole slider thing. If you're going to take the time and energy to make a "sandwich", why make teeny ones?

But I'm sure it's just me. ;-)

Because they are cute and you can eat more of them, because you tell yourself, it's just a little one.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I have to second Peweh's suggestion. Those CL sliders with the shallot dijon relish I still think of fondly and I am not a huge mustard fan. They really came together pretty quickly.