Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitution for Spanish Onion

Substitution for Spanish Onion

My grocery store doesn't sell Spanish Onions, but several of the Bobby Flay recipes I've made called for them, as does the one I'm planning on using today.

The stores around here sell yellow, white, red and "sweet" onions. They also sell green onions and sometimes shallots.

If I've ever tasted a Spanish Onion I didn't realize it....so what flavor does it have, and which of those onions I've listed above would make the best substitution??

If it matters, this is the recipe I was going to try today: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

Spanish onions are typically larger and sweeter and milder than, say, a yellow onion. They are typically eaten raw due to their mildness. So you might want to go with the onions labeled as "sweet".

You're good w/ a yellow onion.

Let me know how the recipe is. It looks like a good one!

I went with a "sweet" yellow onion The recipe was VERY good!!

For REAL? Somehow I grew up thinking Spanish onion was another name for a red onion.

Bah. Wrong again!!!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Nice to know I'm not the only one, Robyn!

Amy

We had this last night and used "sweet" onion and we loved it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.