Community Message Boards

Thread: New-to-me tip for grinding almonds

New-to-me tip for grinding almonds

I was grinding sliced almonds in the food processor for Nigella Lawson's Clementine cake. The first result was rather chunky almond meal instead of a flour. I read a tip that adding some of the sugar from the recipe to the almonds would help them grind more finely. So, what the heck, I gave it a try, and DH watched to see if it would work. It did! With a few more pulses, the chunky product was reduced to a fluffy, flour-like consistency. I was very surprised. Anyone else used this type of trick for grinding nuts? I do love learning something new in the kitchen.

I've not done it with almonds, but have with hazelnuts. DH's favorite spritz cookie requires ground hazelnuts, but I can't find them here so I need to grind them.

What I've found works better for hazelnuts is to use a cheese grinder. (Like the ones used at restaurants to grind parm. over food). I have a plastic one that I picked up for about $5 from Target. I get a perfect consistency everytime. It does take longer than when I use the food processor.

Cheryl

I've not had a problem grinding the almonds for this in my Vitamix into a fine powder but that's interesting to know. BTW, I shared the Clementine cake recipe with a friend and he made into into a chocolate clementine cake with gran marnier glaze which is even better. He added 1/2 cup unsweetened coca powder to cake part and then once the cake is cooled the following glaze:

Glaze
    1 tablespoons water
    3/4 cup powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon Gran Marnier
    1 teaspoon olive oil

I'm making this tomorrow for a dinner.

Another tip I have read about, but haven't tried yet, is to freeze the nuts before grinding them. That way they won't heat up too much and want to tend to turn to a paste before getting to a fine powder.
    The sliced almonds probably help with not needing to freeze the nuts since they are already smaller pieces.

Lantana,
    If you have a Sprouts Farmers Market near you-I know they have stores in AZ, CA, CO & TX-they sell almond flour in the bulk bins as well as in plastic containers. Don't remember the price, but I thought it was quite reasonable. Bought some several times for use in cakes, cookies & breads.

Thanks for reminding me of the tip to grind with sugar. I had forgotten that one.

Quote Originally Posted by cchhbb View Post
    I've not done it with almonds, but have with hazelnuts. DH's favorite spritz cookie requires ground hazelnuts, but I can't find them here so I need to grind them.

What I've found works better for hazelnuts is to use a cheese grinder. (Like the ones used at restaurants to grind parm. over food). I have a plastic one that I picked up for about $5 from Target. I get a perfect consistency everytime. It does take longer than when I use the food processor.

Cheryl
    Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought to use my cheese grinder for nuts.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl