Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipes using Steel Cut oats (besides hot cereal)

Recipes using Steel Cut oats (besides hot cereal)

I looked through the old threads, but mostly found a variety of ways to make oatmeal. There was one recipe for oatmeal bread that I plan to try.

Any other recipes using steel cut oats that you can recommend? I bought a bag of them, and then my mom gave me a bag as well, so I have plenty to experiment with.

TIA!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I was going to suggest the Irish Oatmeal bread, but it looks like you already found that one. I've made that bread often and it's very good.
    Terri

Definitely try the bread- I made an oatmeal bread using steel cut oats and it was very very delicious. I was thinking about making it this week but it ended up too sunny and warm to spend time indoors making bread.
    Cheryl

Steel-Cut Oat Risotto with Butternut Squash and Mushrooms

Look for steel-cut oats, often labeled "steel-cut Irish oatmeal," on the cereal aisle in your supermarket. If the risotto becomes too thick after cooking, simply stir in hot water, one tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.

Squash:
    2 cups diced peeled butternut squash (about 1/2 small squash)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Dash of freshly ground black pepper

Risotto:
    1 1/2 cups water
    2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    Cooking spray
    3/4 cup diced onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups steel-cut oats
    1 cup dry white wine
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons butter
    4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (about 1 pound)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°.
    To prepare squash, combine squash, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dash of pepper in a jelly-roll pan; toss well to coat. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown, stirring every 7 minutes. Set aside; keep warm.

To prepare risotto, bring 1 1/2 cups water and broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm.

Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until golden. Add oats; cook 3 minutes or until oats become fragrant and begin to brown, stirring constantly. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes). Remove risotto from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese, 2 teaspoons sage, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sauté 3 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown. Stir in squash; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.

Spoon about 2/3 cup risotto into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 1/2 cup mushroom mixture, 2 teaspoons cheese, and coarsely ground pepper, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings

CALORIES 356(29% from fat); FAT 11.3g (sat 3.9g,mono 4.4g,poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 16.7g; CHOLESTEROL 15mg; CALCIUM 242mg; SODIUM 738mg; FIBER 8g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 51.4g
    Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2006
    Chari

Irish oats risotto-from McCann’s

2 cups McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup minced shallots
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    5-6 cups hot strong unsalted defatted chicken or beef broth
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    salt & pepper to taste
    pinch saffron for color (optional)

Preparation
    Heat olive oil in heavy saucepan over medium high heat. When hot, add shallots and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in the oats and sauté for about 5 minutes or until oats are glistening. Begin by adding the hot broth 1/2 cup at a time (and saffron if used), stirring continuously, until each 1/2 cup has been absorbed. When oats have absorbed enough broth to be a rich, creamy texture with a bit of bite left, remove from heat. Stir in parsley, lemon juice, cheese, salt and pepper.
    Serve hot.
    Chari

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Steel-Cut Oatmeal

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups steel-cut oats
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce -- or pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup Craisins (optional) -- walnuts or chopped prunes

Combine dry ingredients. Mix in milk, eggs, and the applesauce or pumpkin puree.

Pour into a greased pie tin. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes

Cut into wedges.

Source:
    "CLBB mmtibbs"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 264 Calories; 5g Fat (17.5% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 259mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Excellent! Very hearty and filling! Chewier texture from the steel-cut oats, and a bit drier and cakier than my normal baked oatmeal, but still very moist. I used pumpkin and added cinnamon and the result tasted a bit like pumpkin pie. Delicious! I didn't add any fruit or nuts.
    Chari

I swear I've seen an oatmeal cookie recipe that uses steel-cut oats. I'll see if I can locate it, unless someone has this handy?

Steel cut oats can be substituted for cracked wheat in grain salads.
    Anne

My dad made Goetta (with steel cut oats) every fall/winter. We'd eat it as a breakfast food over jellied toast. I know it sounds weird, but it was really good. I never knew the real name until recently when someone on another forum asked about 'German grits' ... that's the same thing my dad always called it ... and I started researching.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=Google+Search

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Steel cut oats can be substituted for cracked wheat in grain salads.
    Really, can you use it to make tabbouleh then? Do you cook it first or just soak it?
    I love both cracked wheat and oats so the new ideas for steel cut oats are so cool, I am going to try that risotto with butternut squash!
    Thanks for starting this thread!
    Ana

I got inspired to start using grains I had in the pantry as substitutions for specific grains in salads after reading these and other inspiring threads. I treat most of the cracked grains more or less the same - pour boiling water on them and let them rest until they are easy on the hands to work with - roughly half an hour. Kamut and Spelt - rough cracked - take the same treatment as bulgar or cracked wheat. I'm still working on rye, its a bit different. Steel cut oats can get 'gloopy' so I'm still working on that one too - so far I think a cold soak overnight is better than the boiling water method.

BARLEY TABBOULEH WITH FETA clbb-syzygy
    Regular barley may be substituted for the quick version that cooks in about 10 minutes. You will need about 3 cups of cooked barley for the salad.

1 cup quick-cooking barley
    3/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
    1/4 cup finely snipped fresh chives
    3 plum tomatoes, diced (about 1 cup)
    3/4 cup diced pickling cucumbers
    1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the barley (according to package directions) until tender. If any water is left in the pot, drain it.
    In a large bowl combine the barley, parsley, mint, and chives. Mix gently with a large spoon and cool to lukewarm. Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, and feta, and mix gently.

In a small bowl whisk with a fork the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and add more lemon juice if needed. Serve at room temperature.
    Serves 4.

Quinoa Tabbouleh Cooking Light, OCTOBER 1999
    A staple in the diet of the ancient Incas, quinoa (KEEN-wah) is well on its way to being dubbed supergrain of the millennium. High in fiber and a high-quality protein similar to that found in meat, this grain cooks up like rice and has a mild flavor similar to couscous. Quinoa can be found in health-food stores and many supermarkets.

1 3/4 cups water
    1 cup uncooked quinoa
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped seeded tomato
    1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/4 cup chopped cucumber
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 teaspoons minced fresh onion
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Stir in tomato and remaining ingredients. Cover; let stand 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

5 servings (serving size: 1 cup) CALORIES 182(24% from fat); FAT 4.8g(sat 0.6g,mono 2.5g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 31mg; SODIUM 259mg; FIBER 5.3g; IRON 3.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.6g

Roasted Corn Tabbouleh (sorry, lost the source)

1 cup bulgur
    1 cup boiling water
    6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
    1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
    1 cup chopped, seeded tomato*
    1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
    1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar*
    Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    Extra-virgin olive oil (optional)

1. Place the bulgur in a medium bowl. Add the boiling water and let stand 30 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed.

2. Place 1 teaspoon of the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn kernels and pan roast for 8-10 minutes or until brown, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.

3. Add the tomato, green onion, and parsley to the bulgur. Mix the remaining 5 teaspoons of oil and the vinegar, salt, and pepper together and pour over the bulgur mixture. Toss gently and serve. Drizzle with a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil just prior to serving, if desired.

Yield: 5 cups; Serving, 1/2 cup
    Calories: 100; Protein: 2.7 g; Carbohydrate: 16.7 g; Fiber: 3.7 g; Sodium: 10 mg; Fat 3.2 g (Sat: 0.45 g, Mono: 2.11 g, Poly: 0.45 g, Trans: 0 g); Cholesterol: 0 mg

General: With nearly 4 grams of fiber in 1/2 cup, this salad has more fiber than 2 slices of whole-wheat bread. Consider doubling up on the servings and adding some chicken or pork to make this a satisfying main dish.
    Last edited by Anne; 03-09-2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Anne

Here's an easy risotto we made with steel-cut oats...

Oat Risotto with Peas and Asiago (Adapted from Food and Wine)

5 cups vegetable broth
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3/4 cup thinly sliced leeks
    1 cup dry steel-cut oats
    salt and freshly ground white pepper
    1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
    1 green onion, thinly sliced
    4 ounces fresh grated Asiago cheese, divided

In a medium saucepan, add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat - add leeks and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in oats and cook for 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup of the broth and simmer, stirring, until nearly absorbed. Continue cooking, adding 1 cup broth at a time and cooking until the liquid is nearly absorbed between additions, about 25 minutes total - it is done when the oats are chewy-tender and suspended in a thick sauce. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.

Stir in the peas, scallion and 3 ounces (3/4 cup) cheese - cook just until the peas are heated through, about 1 minute. Evenly divide the mixture between the bowls and scatter each with a portion of the remaining cheese to serve.

Makes 4 servings.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I noticed this soup recipe in the newspaper this morning:

Leek and Oatmeal Soup

Serves 4 to 6

In "The Country Cooking of Ireland," Colman Andrews calls this "a modern version of the famous soup, also called brotchan (or brochan or brothchan) roy, or 'the king's soup,' that is said to have been the favorite dish of Ireland's celebrated sixth-century spiritual and literary icon, St. Columkille. It is "... quite possibly the oldest traditional Irish dish for which it is possible to reconstruct a recipe." We adapted the recipe and added more broth for a souplike consistency.

2 tablespoons butter
    4 leeks, trimmed, sliced thinly
    3 cups chicken broth
    2 cups milk
    ½ cup Irish steel-cut oats
    ½ teaspoon each: ground mace, salt
    Freshly ground pepper

1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat; add the leeks. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are very soft, 12-15 minutes.

2. Add the broth and milk. Raise the heat to high; heat to a boil. Sprinkle in the oatmeal. Add the mace, salt and pepper to taste. Return the liquid to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low.

3. Cover; simmer until oats are tender, 45 minutes.

Per serving: 241 calories, 48 percent of calories from fat, 13 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 67 mg cholesterol, 10 g carbohydrates, 21 g protein, 812 mg sodium, 3 g fiber