Community Message Boards

Thread: Creamy Chili-Corn Soup with Chicken and Black Beans?

Creamy Chili-Corn Soup with Chicken and Black Beans?

I made this recipe for the 2nd time today and wowza did it turn out spicy. It was a brand new container of chili powder, so maybe the last batch wasn't as potent. Or it could be the fact that I went downstairs to check my e-mail and the soup had come up to a boil and by the time I got back (after being distracted on the computer), the soup had reduced itself to more of a stew consistency? However, I did add probably another cup or so of chicken broth, so I thought that would help.

For those of you who have made this recipe, how much chili powder do you use?

Creamy Chili-Corn Soup with Chicken and Black Beans

I wanted to share it because #1- it was really tasty and filling, #2 - it's light and, well, it's the start of a New Year , and #3 - the whole thing came together and was ready to eat in 15 minutes!!!! TAKE THAT, RR!!!

Anyway - I highly recommend it! I cut down on the chili powder a bit since the weeone doesn't like spicy food at all, but I think the amount she calls for would be a good heat level for most people.

from The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight & Eating Great
    by Pam Anderson

2 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon cumin
    2 cans (14.5 ounces each) creamed corn
    1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
    1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
    1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained
    1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
    1 cup shredded cooked chicken
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt and ground black pepper

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, heat oil and garlic over medium-high heat until garlic starts to sizzle. Add chili powder and cumin and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add corn, tomatoes, broth, beans, chiles and chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

377 calories per 2-cup serving, makes 4 servings

Dried, ground red chilis (I think that's what you're referring to?) really do vary in heat level due to their growing conditions. I've been making it a habit to taste the powder before adding any and then adding maybe half to start with and more later if need be.

That doesn't sound like too much to me, but it depends one what kind you are using. What kind of chili powder were your using -- a pure ground chili (can be very mild to very hot) or a chili seasoning (usually mild to medium heat unless they say otherwise)? I'm thinking the later, and you can occasionally get a hotter batch. I'd reduce the amount of that one and try some pure ancho or pasilla powder to bring up the balance. Diced green chiles can also vary, but usually not that much.

I just used Mccormick Chili Powder....the stuff that is with all of the other spices. Its normally really mild.

Also, the diced green chiles seemed a much brighter green than usual. Although they were the same brand I always buy, perhaps they were actually jalapenos instead of mild chiles? At any rate, I am going to try again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post

I wanted to share it because #1- it was really tasty and filling, #2 - it's light and, well, it's the start of a New Year , and #3 - the whole thing came together and was ready to eat in 15 minutes!!!! TAKE THAT, RR!!!

Anyway - I highly recommend it! I cut down on the chili powder a bit since the weeone doesn't like spicy food at all, but I think the amount she calls for would be a good heat level for most people.

from The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight & Eating Great
    by Pam Anderson

2 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon cumin
    2 cans (14.5 ounces each) creamed corn
    1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
    1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
    1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained
    1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
    1 cup shredded cooked chicken
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt and ground black pepper

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, heat oil and garlic over medium-high heat until garlic starts to sizzle. Add chili powder and cumin and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add corn, tomatoes, broth, beans, chiles and chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

377 calories per 2-cup serving, makes 4 servings
    cool soup recipe. turned out very tasty

Angela,

I had the same situation awhile back and I even posted on the BB about it. In fact, I think it might have been the same recipe. What a coincidence. I've made the soup quite a few times since TerriA posted it. Love how easy it is to pull together.

Someone mentioned if I cooked the spices a bit too long. She said that when you cook the spices (in the oil) it really brings out the flavor. Perhaps that makes it stronger/spicier. I think I might have used less oil so that might have "burnt" the spices a bit too. Just a guess.

I use less than half of the chili powder. I can't take real hot flavors, plus I think my chili powder is strong.