Community Message Boards

Thread: Mystery writers & recipes-great combination!

Thumbs up Mystery writers & recipes-great combination!

I love to read "cookbooks" and cooking magazines like CL. I also love to read a good mystery and find the current trend of culinary mysteries a great combination for me. So many more "cozy" mystery writers are incorporating recipes in their stories and many devote several pages to the recipes wonderfully and deliciously detailed in the mysteries. I wonder if anyone else finds this increasingly popular genre "a good fit" for someone who loves to cook and appreciates a good mystery.
    I first started with Virginia Rich, discovered Diane Mott Davidson,
    Nancy Pickard, Joanne Pence, Tamar Myers, Lou Jane Temple, and several others who have even printed separate cookbooks, the oldest being a Nero Wolfe cookbook from Rex Stout.

I have tried several of the recipes and most are keepers. Has anyone else enjoyed this combination of culinary mysteries? And what recipes have you tried and really enjoyed?

I am sure there are many of you out there because the number of authors and recipes keep increasing-so someone must be reading and buying these books. Let me know!

DianaLynn

I love Diane Mott Davidson. I never tried any recipes, but just liked the fact she was cooking in the books!
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

I've read all of Diane Mott Davidsons. I also made a couple of the recipes back in the old days when I wasn't "cooking light" - now there seems to be way too much fat and way too many calories in most of the recipes. Still, the mysteries are fun when I want to read something light. I'll check out some of the other authors at the library. Thanks for the list!

I'm hooked

I just read Sticks and Scones, and the Cereal Murders. Actually, I couldn't put either down, and finished them both since Saturday when I bought them.

I think I might try to make some of the recipes, after lightening them of course.

I'm going to Borders tonight to buy some more of her books before the gym.

I think she has lightened up her recipes some in the last couple of books. I have tried several of them and the ones I have tried have been good. Blondie's Brownies is the only only I can think of the name of now, but I remember a pasta recipe and a cookie one that were also good.

I just started the Peter King "Gourmet Detective" series and I am enjoying the first book.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

These authors and books sound wonderful. Once the kids are back at school and I have more time to read, I'll have to look for them. Thanks for the suggestions!

I LOVE this type of book...and although not on topic..if you haven't read ruth reichle's (formerlly NY times critic and now editor of Gourmet) first book, check out tender at the bone...its hilarious, heartbreaking, and some funny and great recipes...you'll have to read the book to see what I mean by funny....does this remind anybody of their third graede book report?
    Karen

I really like Diane Mott Davidson too! I read The Cereal Murders and Killer Pancake this summer. They were both pretty good. Easy reading for a busy summer. I didn't try any of the recipes, but they all sounded really good! Killer Pancake was partly about Goldy's friend having some health problems, so she needed to lighten up some recipes. That one has all light recipes in it.

Smile Mystery writers & recipes

I really thought more people would respond, especially on a sight like CL devoted to good food. But I am happy to have read the responses from many of you who have the same love of cooking and mystery reading.

Please be sure to check out Virginia Rich-"Nantucket Diet Murders," "Cooking School Murders," and "Baked Bean Supper Murders." These were written during the '80's and were the very first ones that became favorites.

For those of you who are cat and mystery lovers, check out two cookbooks: Rita Mae Brown, "Sneaky Pie's Cookbook for Mystery Lovers" and Lillian Braun's cookbook from the "Cat Who......" series.

Claudia Bishop does a series featuring 2 sisters running and Inn with a recipe in each.

Tamar Myers includes again sisters at an Inn but recipes are Pennsylvania Dutch.

Katherine Hall Page features a caterer with recipes at end of the book.

Peter King's stories are filled with food facts.

Philip Craig has a new one out entitiled "Deadly Vineyard Holiday."

Susan Wittig Albert features herbs, facts and recipes.

Joanne Pence features a gourmet cook of Italian descent-more current books in series have several recipes. She also has great website with recipes featured.

Nancy Atherton of the Aunt Dimity series features a recipe per book and also website with all recipes.

Nancy Pickard continues to write in style and using same heroine as Virginia Rich.

There are many more and wonderful websites.

Hope this is helpful to some and perhaps starts a new interest to others.

DianaLynn

wow..i'd better check out " the cat who............cookbook" I know that Quill ate incrEDIBLY well!!!
    Karen

DianaLynn

Thanks for that last post. Nice to have a list that shows something about each series. I'm off to the library!

DianaLynn

I was at the library this morning and spotted a book you might be interested in. The title is A Stiff Risotto and the author is Lou Jane Temple. Another to add to your list of authors of culinary mysteries!

I just read a short-story collection called "Death Dines at 8:30." Each story features a food-related murder and a recipe. Some of the stories were better than others, but it is a creative idea and the recipes looked interesting, although I did not have time to cook them because I got the book from the library. If you buy the book, some of the profits will go to feed the hungry. Here is a link to the book on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...279791-4815925

Diane Mott Davidson has a story in the collection but it is an old one that I had read in at least one other anthology.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Thumbs up Mystery writers & recipes

Thanks Jasmine Rose & Jessica for the great tips.

I have read most of Lou Jane Temple's books with the exception of her latest one.

There are at least 10 other authors I could list and twice that many who deal with food in their mysteries but no recipes.

If you are interested, you can go to culinary mysteries.com
    as beginning resource and continue from there.

Great to hear from you and let me know if you really like an author and a special recipe.

DianaLynn

There aren't any recipes in the books, but I always want to eat what Guido Brunetti's wife is cooking for dinner in the Donna Leon books. They take place in Venice and the dishes sound like fairly common meals there, so probably any Italian cookbook would do. I just wish for the same tomatoes that they get there.

Check out "Bookbrowser" (www.bookbrowser.com) an excellent site for bookies....here's the link for sleuths in the food industry. Enjoy!

http://www.bookbrowser.com/Sleuths/FoodandLodging.html

DianaLynn

Just wanted to say thanks again for this thread. I read the first Susan Wittig Albert book day before yesterday and really liked it. The library only had four of her nine books (there's another coming out in October I heard - Bloodroot), so yesterday I went to a used bookstore that had three others and I stopped at Barnes & Noble on the way home for the other two (I want to read them in order and the ones I was still missing were #2 and #3 - couldn't wait for eBay or half.com!).

Once I finish the books I'll donate them to the library so they'll have the whole series. That's how I justify spending the money to buy the books.

I'll look into the other authors later but this one was a great find as I needed a change from Diane Mott Davidson. Thanks again!

mystery recipes

Lawrence Sanders is another author wwho combines food and mystery in his books. Although he doesn't print recipes in his novels, the way he describes the food that the main character is eating is enough to make you run to the refrigerator. Vicky