Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about ham drippings...

Question Question about ham drippings...

Two days ago I baked a spiral cut ham (in a dry roasting pan). It gave off LOTS of liquid/drippings, which I poured off and refrigerated. It jelled up and a thin layer of white fat rose to the top.

Tonight I am using the ham bone to make some soup and I am wondering about those drippings, still in the fridge. If I skim off the fat from the top... would the jelled stuff underneath be good to add to the soup???! I'm thinking it would either be flavorful and delicious -- or gross!!!

What IS that stuff, really?! And would YOU add it to your soup? Why or why not??!

THANKS!
    Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

I would think it would taste good!

That would add a huge layer of ham flavor to your soup! As long as you skim the fat off (which would definitely be gross to add) I think it will be wonderful!

Any you don't use you can save in a mason jar in the fridge for a week or so (longer than that you can freeze it). If you cook beans from dried you can add a few tablespoons to your bean pot for amazing flavor there too.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

The reason any sort of stock/drippings jell is that it was cooked with bone. That's where gelatin comes from, after all. If you make chicken stock with bony pieces and boil it down to concentrate it, then chill it, it will jell too.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it!

The soup turned out darn good *as is* (if I do say so m'self! ) but I will definitely add some of the jelled drippings now, AND freeze the rest. Great tips and info... as always!!!

Thanks again,
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn B View Post
    Two days ago I baked a spiral cut ham (in a dry roasting pan). It gave off LOTS of liquid/drippings, which I poured off and refrigerated. It jelled up and a thin layer of white fat rose to the top.

Tonight I am using the ham bone to make some soup and I am wondering about those drippings, still in the fridge. If I skim off the fat from the top... would the jelled stuff underneath be good to add to the soup???! I'm thinking it would either be flavorful and delicious -- or gross!!!

What IS that stuff, really?! And would YOU add it to your soup? Why or why not??!

THANKS!
    Lynn
    That STUFF is heaven. I make all my own stock and always use bones so I can get that gelatinous stuff from the marrow. It adds an incredible depth to the flavor and texture of a broth or gravy. And your soup will be so much better for it. I usually only buy ham with the bone in so I can make split pea soup and treasure that jelly.

Another thought, though your ham may be gone. You could make red eye gravy for some ham steaks.

my SIL uses that to make ham gravy for my bro.

Smile

Thank you ALL for your replies!

I added some of it to the soup, which took the soup from already-delicious to sublime!!! Really! It was an amazing difference. VERY EXCITING!

And I had some left to freeze, too -- which I did. That'll be fun at some later date.

Thanks again for the great info and advice!