Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts---Beware!!!

Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts---Beware!!!

Even if you're not vegetarian, you may be as upset by this as I am. I bought a jar of Planters' Dry Roasted Peanuts and never thought to check the label until I got home. Eek! Gelatin! Who would have thought that peanuts would have gelatin in them? (I called Kraft about this---they say it helps the spices to adhere.)
    And although they advertise that "pure sea salt" is used, there are many unpure, less than natural ingredients, including modified cornstarch.

Okay, call me naive, but I truly thought that dry roasted peanuts were a natural, "whole" type food. I didn't think that they were just another processed food. I do make my own spiced nuts for snacking, but liked to use these in salads and Asian dishes that call for peanuts.

Totally disillusioned! Anyone else feel my pain?

And can someone explain how they can be a kosher product (There's a big K on them) but still use gelatin that doesn't appear to be kosher gelatin?
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

Your post prompted me to check out the roasted peanuts I have in the pantry. They're from Safeway and have MSG in them. (as a flavor enhancer, it says). I never thought to read the label either. I just assumed they were peanuts and salt.

Yep! I stopped buying them long ago - we only buy peanuts now if the ingredients are simply peanuts, salt and (sometimes) oil. Just one more example that you have to read labels on everything!

Here is Planter's ingredient list!

PEANUTS, CONTAINS2% OR LESS OF: SEA SALT, SUGAR, CORNSTARCH, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE (FLAVOR ENHANCER), GELATIN, TORULA YEAST, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, PAPRIKA, ONION AND GARLIC POWDERS, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR. CONTAINS: PEANUT. MANUFACTURED ON EQUIPMENT THAT PROCESSES SUNFLOWER SEED, TREE NUTS
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

The first time I even considered buying roasted nuts, I read the label and refused...why add sugar and preservatives and dyes to a good product
    Dh didn't think twice and inhaled a jar
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Eeeeew! I haven't bought a jar of peanuts in a long time, mostly because like Wallycat's DH mine will eat an entire jar at one sitting. I do keep some of the Planters Nutrition Heart Healthy Mix go-packs in my desk drawer, so this prompted me to pull those out and look at the ingredient list. Fortunately, it looks a lot better: Peanuts, almonds, pistachios, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, peanut oil, sea salt.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Yea, I had a handful of them at someone's house and they tasted awful, so I took a look at the label and was suitably horrified.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Wow - thanks for the info!

As someone who does not eat red meat, I try for no gelatin, too. My only exception has been Greek yogurt when I can't find any without gelatin. Luckily there are several brands without it but my local stores often can't keep them in stock so I'm stuck with Yoplait Greek.

Again, thanks for pointing this out!

Kate

I only buy the unsalted dry roasted peanuts. And that's all it is ... peanuts!

It certainly makes you want to just go back to eating peanuts from the shell.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Like the label on Safeway's rotisserie chicken: how can a chicken with lemon and rosemary have an ingredients list as long as the Duggar's weekly shopping?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Wow I am now thrilled with Costco. I buy Ann's House peanuts--roasted and salted--from them, and they have peanuts, peanut oil, and salt.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Like the label on Safeway's rotisserie chicken: how can a chicken with lemon and rosemary have an ingredients list as long as the Duggar's weekly shopping?
    I've always wondered what they add to those rotisserie chickens. I had a feeling it probably wasn't good...

Costco Rocks!

I really love the Costco Kirkland Signature Brand Roasted and Salted Peanuts. Two 32 oz jars and the ingredients are Peanuts, Peanut oil and Salt.

Quote Originally Posted by cminmd View Post
    I really love the Costco Kirkland Signature Brand Roasted and Salted Peanuts. Two 32 oz jars and the ingredients are Peanuts, Peanut oil and Salt.
    Same with their cashews, which I belatedly realized I should also check as my youngest daughter is cashew obsessed. And yep, just nut, oil and salt. I've never see Kirkland peanuts, only the Ann's House brand, but like I said it is good too.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Yikes. You know, that's one thing I never thought to check the ingredient list on. Wow. So much for my quick on a week night chicken and dumplings made from a rotisserie chicken. . . which I actually stopped doing anyway because they are up to about $8 each, which is ridiculous IMO.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Thanks for posting.. I hadn't looked at peanut ingredients either, and was pretty stunned. I thought it would be peanuts, peanut oil and salt, like the cashews. guess I need to find another source for peanuts. Geez, why can't they keep it simple? even my peanut butter is peanuts and salt, who would think plain peanuts needed additives?
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    Same with their cashews, which I belatedly realized I should also check as my youngest daughter is cashew obsessed. And yep, just nut, oil and salt. I've never see Kirkland peanuts, only the Ann's House brand, but like I said it is good too.
    Yeah, our Costco used to carry the Ann's House, but they recently switched to a Costco in-house labeled version. They are a touch different, but have the same, clean ingredient list.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

it is always annoying to find those hidden enhancers-- like when i tried some "pro-active" blueberry yogurt from Wegman's, and it had not one but three fish-derived ingredients. How disgusting can you get?
    there's also gelatin in the frosting on Pop-tarts and most other brands of toaster pastries.
    bummer.

I knew y'all would understand my disgust/disillusionment. My friends IRL could care less about any ingredients---they just care about what tastes good and is readily accessible. In some ways, they have it much easier. But avoiding junky ingredients is almost a reward in its own right----a type of protest against processed food.
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

TJ's (Trader Joe's) dry roasted nuts (almonds and cashews are what I get) are just nuts. No other ingredients.
    Last edited by oct2189; 04-13-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Target's Archer Farms Roasted Jumbo Peanuts (salted) have peanuts, vegetable oil, salt
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    Target's Archer Farms Roasted Jumbo Peanuts (salted) have peanuts, vegetable oil, salt
    i buy those, and there pretty good. the raw almonds are the best, though. and very affordable.

Yep, I was shocked when I read the dry-roasted peanut labels a few years ago. I think I was buying them for the America's Test Kitchen (or CI?) peanut butter cookie recipe at the time (which was really really good, by the way). I don't buy them very often, but I've bought the generic at Target a few times; I think it is Market Pantry brand?

ande

Mr. Peanut, I thought you were a friend of mine!
    Margaret

I was appropriately enraged by this a year ago. I never thought to check the label and assumed it would be peanuts and salt.

And it seems the more ingredients they use the cheaper the product.

I was feeling too lazy to make homemade BBQ sauce the other day and checked out the bottled at Fry's. After reading a billion labels I sucked it up and made my own.

I wonder if the Costco chickens have a long ingredient list? I haven't bought one in years but I see they roast on site. I don't know about the seasoning though.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

Planters dry roasted unsalted peanuts are pure

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I only buy the unsalted dry roasted peanuts. And that's all it is ... peanuts!
    I checked my jar of the dry roasted unsalted peanuts too and their only ingredient is Peanuts. Surprised that the salted ones would have all those extra ingredients.Thanks for the heads up. I think the unsalted ones taste better anyway ....

Angry Yuck.

Oh, I am so glad to know that I'm not alone. Gelatin, some derived from animals, and some derived from fish, seems to be in everything lately. I didn't know, until I got into cookbooks and recipes that candy, pies, and icings/frostings (and always, marshmallows) often call for gelatin. EGADS. I've been running away from shortening cookbooks and products for years, and now gelatin is all over (not literally) cookbooks and in yogurt and peanuts and who knows what else? (Then tonight on tv they are talking about 'carmine' in strawberry products, like yogurt. Bugs! Pretty red carmine colored bugs used in our food to make colorful.) Gross. Added just to make things pretty? Or thick? Or sticky? YUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by catbatty View Post
    (Then tonight on tv they are talking about 'carmine' in strawberry products, like yogurt. Bugs! Pretty red carmine colored bugs used in our food to make colorful.) Gross. Added just to make things pretty? Or thick? Or sticky? YUCK.
    Saw that and thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by catbatty View Post
    (Then tonight on tv they are talking about 'carmine' in strawberry products, like yogurt. Bugs! Pretty red carmine colored bugs used in our food to make colorful.) Gross. Added just to make things pretty? Or thick? Or sticky? YUCK.
    Not really odd in my book. Think about how we get honey. A bug drinks the nectar of a flower then regurgitates it into a honeycomb and then ages until it is harvested by beekeepers for us to eat.

Yeah, but the report I saw, I think said it was the bugs themselves that are crushed up and put in products. Are you saying it's only the regurgitation? Oh, this is making me ROFLMAO. LOL. Can't hep myself. hahaha oh me.... editing to say: I don't know what hit me. This whole thing has hit my funny bone. Sorry. No offense to bee or bugs or anybody.