Community Message Boards

Thread: What flour to sub for teff flour??

What flour to sub for teff flour??

Hi
    I want to make a berry tart and the crust asks for teff flour, I have never used it and have no idea how it tastes or how it affects baked goods.
    I don't have teff flour and was not planning on going out and looking for it. Does anyone know what other flour I can use instead of the teff flour?
    Would whole wheat flour work? Or oat flour?
    I know I might loose some characteristic flavor that might come from teff, but I am not worried about that. Also, I am not looking for gluten free goodies, so any other more common flour would be ok.
    Do you guys know more about teff?

Also, talking about substitutions... the recipe calls for maple syrup but I don't like and was planning on using honey, any inputs regarding this?

Thanks!
    Ana

Here are the ingredients of the crust just in case someone wants to look and see what would be bets substitute in this recipe:

1 1/2 cups ivory teff flour
    14 tsp sea salt
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup canola oil

My only experience with teff is in Ethiopian food. It is what is used to make the injera. I know it's self fermenting and has a subtle sourdough flavor.

Here is a webpage about it.
    I *think* you might be able to sub wheat flour.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Charl...Teff-Flour.htm
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Googled and came of with equal amounts of wheat and rye flour.

Thanks for the responses!
    I also googled and saw the part wheat part rye sub, I don't have and don't actually like rye, so that would be out.
    I will just use a different crust I found in the same cookbook which should work just fine for the type of tart I am making.
    Thanks again!
    Ana