Community Message Boards

Thread: What veggies to serve with blackened fish?

What veggies to serve with blackened fish?

It's on the menu for next week, and I'm trying to think of the best veggies to pair with it. Any ideas?

The cajun restaurant here serves a mixture sauted. I have reconstructed it fairly closely (I think) and it's a good match with the blackening. They use 2 or 3 types of summer squash - I try to use yellow & zucchini at least for the color contrast, sauted with garlic, fresh dill and a dash (or more) of cayenne. Add a little chicken broth or white wine, steam til done to your taste, and top with chopped green onions.

My first thought was sauteed squashes. Or maybe steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

I would roast fresh asaparagus in a 500 degree oven with olive oil and italian seasonings until nice and crispy.

And you could make Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes in the same pan with the asparagus.

I was thinking a shredded cabbage slaw with a creamy/avocado dressing like THIS one from EW.
    Last edited by oct2189; 04-30-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

A restaurant we like serves a green bean and butternut squash dish with blackened fish.