Community Message Boards

Thread: onion goggles for glasses wearers?

onion goggles for glasses wearers?

Have they come out with these yet? DH sometimes can't even walk through the kitchen if I am chopping or cooking onions. They usually don't bother me unless they are super strong (I wear contacts, so maybe that helps). We use a lot of onions and I'd like him to help out by cooking more dinners, but he just isn't able to. When I looked into the onion goggles, it said they didn't fit over glasses...has anyone found a pair that does?

I have some RSVP onion goggles, but they definitely don't fit over glasses. My husband teaches chemistry, and at one point he had given me a set of chemistry lab goggles. They are pretty bulky and unattractive, but I'm sure they would fit over glasses. Might be worth a try?

I don't care what they look like so long as he helps cook dinner! lol...I'll look into those....wonder where I would buy them..

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
    I don't care what they look like so long as he helps cook dinner! lol...I'll look into those....wonder where I would buy them..
    Maybe Home Depot - they sell googles.

ETA - I'm thinking in terms of safety glasses tha wrap, rather than goggles. Will those work?

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
    College bookstores would probably have them. I know the students need them for labs. I'll ask my husband if he knows of other places though.

eta: My husband just said that Walmart sells them too.

I would think that most places that sold lumber/carpentry products would carry them. They are handy for keeping sawdust out of your eyes.
    Anne

Keeping your onions in the refrigerator, and making sure your knives are sharp will both help keep onion fumes down. Turning the kitchen vent on and chopping them under it helps, too.

HERE"S a link to a site that sells them.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

I think in your shoes I might load the food processor full of onions once a week when he's not home and then fill up baggies for the freezer. He could just dump the frozen diced onions in whatever he's making.

Onions make me cry too.

I can't see anything if I try to chop onions. The tears flow like a waterfall. So, I buy those plastic cartons of chopped onions in my supermarket produce section. No tears and I can use all the chopped onions that I want.
    "When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing...it's not my kitchen." --- Maxine

I wear soft contacts . they protect my eyes completely from onion fumes. a couple times I've not had them in and tried to chop and it was miserable. since I wear my lenses most of the time it's not an inconvenience. any kind of safety goggle (like mentioned above) will work although most sateam up pretty quickly. even sunglasses work for me though not real dark ones.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Martha says if you burn a candle next to where you are cutting onions, your eyes won't burn. I've done this and it works.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. IMO frozen onions have all the flavor sucked out of them. Plus sometimes they call for sliced, sometimes chopped, sometimes finely diced...all different stuff. The precut ones also don't have a lot of flavor (we usually use sweet yellow) and that would get very pricy. I asked my Dad (owns his own construction company) about goggles and he said his have ventilation vents on the sides, so he fears they would just re-direct the onion gas and trap it. No counter space for burning a candle.

My BIL has a pair of goggles from a chemistry class he took, and we're going to try those. If not, it just may not be worth the hassle, or he can come up with stuff that doesn't involve onions to cook for dinner.

Thanks!

I think Alton Brown said to throw out the last couple inches of onion, near the base, as that's where most of the fumes came from.

not very subtle - reported.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland