Community Message Boards

Thread: Sugar Cane Vinegar

Sugar Cane Vinegar

For those of you who are following the summer grilling thread, I wanted to let you know I got the sugar cane vinegar discussed there. No regrets, and I'm glad since I have 3 bottles.

I think we are going to really like it. It is a pale brown - sort of iced tea color. It is mild and has a slightly sweet aftertaste. It reminds me a bit of malt or cider vinegar, but more mellow. Reminds me a bit of white rice vinegar in that regard, but it has more flavor. Think just a touch of cane syrup -- not quite a hint of molasses, but a little bit of that "brown" flavor.

If you don't want to get three bottles, the brochure inside the box also listed a sugar and spice gift box that has molasses, syrup and a bottle of the vinegar. Considering how the bottles and cans are heavy and the prices include shipping, it's pretty reasonable for mail order food.

Wow -- you should be writing ad copy for the vinegar consortium as I had NO desire to augment my current six varieties of vinegar until reading your description.

I am going to see if Surfas carries it.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I should probably disclose that I did a side by side with the white rice vinegar (4.3% acidity) and the difference (5% for the sugar cane) is noticeable -- a bit more bite, but not so strong that I couldn't see using it straight on salads. I don't like a lot of dressing though. It's hard to describe the flavor, but it might be like trying to describe the difference between white table sugar, raw sugar and brown sugar. This is a vinegar that shows its roots in th range between the later two. If you find some I hope you like it.

Who makes sugar cane vinegar? That sounds heavenly.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Steen's makes sugar cane vinegar. I don't know if anyone else does. Like Beth mentioned it's slightly more assertive than white balsamic.

I went to google and looked around -- found Philipino, French and the Steen's. What I got is the Steen's since it got a good review and I found a bad review of another one. I already use Steen's syrup, so I figured I could keep that straight.

This page shows the two boxes they sell online with the vinegar.

Charley, do stores in Louisiana carry the vinegar as well as the syrup? The grocery stores here keep dropping things, so I don't hold much hope for not having to order it down the road.

Beth, yeah you can get it just about anywhere. I think even Walmart carries it.