Community Message Boards

Thread: Sub Sriracha for Thai chili garlic paste?

Sub Sriracha for Thai chili garlic paste?

I want to make a Thai chicken pizza from the KAF website for dinner tonight. The recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of Thai chili garlic paste as part of the chicken marinade. I don't have that in my pantry, but I do have Sriracha sauce. I really don't want another obscure condiment bottle sitting around. Do you think that would be okay to substitute; if so, do I need to change the quantity?
    Last edited by gobluem82; 05-21-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Alicia

Yes, i think that would be a good sub. I love that stuff anyway!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I love the Thai chili garlic sauce but wouldn't hesitate to make the Sriracha sub.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I agree with the others. I wouldn't have a problem at all using the Sriracha sauce. I completely understand about having another partially used bottle of something.

I'd sub sambal oelek. If that is not an option, be aware that Sirracha is a lot sweeter. I never sub it for anything for that reason, but at only a teaspoon I am sure it won't kill the dish.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I don't find Sriracha sweet at all. And even if it were slightly sweet it wouldn't matter with Thai pizza. That sauce includes peanut butter, hoisin sauce, and honey.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I don't find Sriracha sweet at all. And even if it were slightly sweet it wouldn't matter with Thai pizza. That sauce includes peanut butter, hoisin sauce, and honey.
    I did a search and could not find ingredients but definitely found at least one Thai website stating it has a sweeter taste than other hot sauces. I think this one is in the eye of the beholder--not only would I not sub with it, but I do taste it in stuff, i.e., it has an additional flavor, probably from the vinegar also, that you would not find in chili garlic sauce. However, as I noted, for anyone who likes Sriracha, at 1 teaspoon it would probably be fine.

ETA I take it back! I did find ingredients and it definitely has sugar! And definitely vinegar too. I feel better now.

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog...-sriracha.html

I could not find a recipe specific to the Rooster brand, but I am sure it has sugar too. And my bottle apparently is gone.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

One percent sugar doesn't amount to much sweetness. Maybe you're thinking of Thai sweet chili sauce. Now that's sweet! Sriracha is a Vietnamese/Thai-style hot sauce.

I think that for most people the sub would be fine. As much as I love good food, my palate is not sensitive enough to definitively distinguish between all these chili sauces/pastes! I get very confused even shopping for them. This kind of ingredient, for me, is more about adding a bit of heat than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    One percent sugar doesn't amount to much sweetness. Maybe you're thinking of Thai sweet chili sauce. Now that's sweet! Sriracha is a Vietnamese/Thai-style hot sauce.
    I know what Sriracha is. Did you even read my link? Why would you assume I don't know what it is? I already said it seemed to depend on the palate. It tastes sweet to me and seeing as those others sauces do not have sugar and have much less vinegar, I can taste the difference. Sheesh!
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/