Community Message Boards

Thread: butter & margarine in a recipe

butter & margarine in a recipe

I have a dessert recipe that calls for a stick of butter and a stick of margarine. Would it make a big difference if I use two sticks of butter instead?

Most likely this would be fine. Can you tell us more about the recipe? Cake, cookies, brownies?

Why use margarine if you can use butter?

My guess would be to reduce the amount of saturated fat but if the margarine has trans fat then you're better off using all butter. Also the moisture content of margarine can vary quite a bit though the maximum is 18%.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I would definitely sub butter as I wouldn't bake anything with margarine.

Shortening has a different function than butter.

I almost never see baking recipes specifying margarine anymore so I wonder if it's an older recipe. After margarine was shown to be less healthy than butter, the pendulum seems to have swung in the direction of butter for most recipes I see from new sources.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Why use margarine if you can use butter?
    I agree I would rather use butter.
    It may be an old recipe, I'm not sure. It's for a dessert called Dutch Letter Bars. Basically it's butter, sugar, and almond paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    I agree I would rather use butter.
    It may be an old recipe, I'm not sure. It's for a dessert called Dutch Letter Bars. Basically it's butter, sugar, and almond paste.
    If you google most of the recipes specify butter. With that kind of simple bar, I would most certainly use butter because nothing can replace the flavor of butter.

By "old" I meant the period from the Depression to about the 1980's. Oleomargarine was introduced originally as a cheaper alternative to butter - during WW II butter was scarce and then after WW II it was pushed as the healthier choice.

As sneezles posted, the research on the dangers of transfat pretty much destroyed margarine as an option for most people although I guess it's still cheaper than butter.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

The texture may end up a bit different. When I use all butter in cookie recipes that call for margarine, they get flatter. I usually use a bit less butter than margarine to compensate, about a tablespoon less per cup. For bars it probably won't make any difference.