Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does tofu last in the fridge?

How long does tofu last in the fridge?

I just bought some tofu today at Costco - a larger amount than I normally purchase. I wondered how long it can be kept in the fridge, either opened or unopened. I also did some research on freezing it, what I found said that it can be done but just wondered if anyone here does that, and if its worth the lower cost for the tofu at Costco to freeze it.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I find that the "best by" or whatever date on the package is a good guide. After opening, submerge leftovers in fresh water and change out the water every couple of days. I think it'll go another week but not much longer.

I've read about people freezing it but the one time I tried it I didn't like the result -- the texture was terrible and spongy and very fragile.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

freezing tofu (and draining or pressing & draining it after thawing) gives it a more "meatlike" texture that works well in certain kinds of recipes. it doesn't affect the flavor, just the texture.
    how long it lasts in the fridge really depends on the type and freshness-- it can be a couple weeks at least in many cases.
    Last edited by heavy hedonist; 07-25-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks - I am kind of a tofu newbie, and was not entirely sure how long it would be good. Good to have an idea, anyway. Good tip about putting it in water and changing it out.

I think I will try freezing some of it, not much to lose, anyway, right?
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

DH has diced tofu on a salad nearly every day for lunch, so we therefore always have it in frig. Unopened I think it would last months. I buy the ultra firm kind from TJ's that comes in a split pack for stir-fry as well, and I know that will keep unopeened for at least 2-3 months. With the regular firm kind, once opened, we change the water every day, and it will easily last 2 weeks.