Community Message Boards

Thread: Exercise Options During Stress Fracture Recovery

Exercise Options During Stress Fracture Recovery

Found out this morning I have a rather substantial stress fracture on my Right Big Toe. Probably wouldn't be quite so bad had I consulted a Doctor 3 months ago with the pain started.

at me.

In any case, what Aerobic exercise(s) may I do while I'm waiting the 3 weeks for my toe to heal? For some reason I'm drawing a blank.

TIA for your help! ☺

Well, swimming is probably okay. Maybe cycling? Otherwise, I am not sure. Can you check with the nurse, or maybe a physical therapist?
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I'll definitely check with the Doctor's Office. Should have done that before I left this morning!

Appreciate your quick response, though. Have a great afternoon!

I was also thinking swimming...or water aerobics and aqua-jogging. My gym has this antiquated machine where you bike with your hands. It looks like an upside down recumbent bike; but you'd probably know if your gym had one.

Good luck with your recovery. I know it would be hard for me if I was told not to do cardio for 3 weeks.

I think the hand bike, as mentioned, would be the best option. Being as your injury is a substantial, I wouldn't even put the pressure of water resistance on it (I had a sprained toe one time and swimming would cause pain).

r
    Last edited by Gumbeaux; 07-30-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Is your toe wrapped?
    I'm not sure if the Nordic-track would force too much pressure on the toe or not.
    You can do rubber-band "weights" and the arm-cycle for sure.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

WallyCat

I have one of the Velcro booties that the Doctor put a "depression" in to keep the toe stabilized. Does that make any sense?

In any case, I do have the hand weights, ankle weights and Resistance Bands. That should give me some cardio/calorie burning for the interim. I don't want to cause any additional injury to my toe but I sure don't want to go exercise-less until August 20th!

I've been using the Recumbent Cross Trainer bike for the last month...right up until my left knee started giving me fits. ! The combination of a bad left knee and a bad right foot is NOT good but it'll also give me some more time to focus on Yoga routines.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I appreciate the guidance!

Have you tried the elliptical cross trainer to see if you can do that without stressing your injury?
    Christie

Hi Christie

I've not been able to get the hang of the elliptical when my toe isn't fractured.

I go back on Friday morning to get the toe checked & am hoping all will be healed. The discomfort level is almost non-existent so that's a good sign, I hope.

Thanks for asking.

BTW...I'm Kris with a K.

Most ellipticals really hurt me as well as the strides just don't fit mine so don't feel bad.

I hope the toe gets the clearance soon but if it's close definitely ask about aqua jogging. I've known of people that trained almost entirely for marathons with aqua jogging.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I hope the toe gets the clearance soon but if it's close definitely ask about aqua jogging. I've known of people that trained almost entirely for marathons with aqua jogging.
    Great idea! I love my aqua jogger!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Thanks for the great idea, Robyn and Kay.

Aqua Jogging...sounds like fun more than it does exercise. A win win!

I've been amazed at how well cycling works as an aerobic workout. Cycling shoes have fairly stiff soles ... mountain bike shoes are what I'm thinking of.. that would protect your toe from bending much. they are fairly hard to walk in because they don't bend. It'd be kind of expensive for a month though, unless you already cycle or would like to start. but if you have a bike it would be an alternative.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeButterfly View Post
    Thanks for the great idea, Robyn and Kay.

Aqua Jogging...sounds like fun more than it does exercise. A win win!
    Uh oh. From all accounts it is incredible boring and monotonous. Of course, that comes from runners who are used to being outside with scenery to watch. But, if you end up having fun with it then that's what matters.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Saw my Orthopaedic Doctor this morning.
    The fracture is healing but I have at least another 2 weeks of wearing my cast/boot.

My husband and I will be going on Vacation this coming week so I'm planning on lots of long walks & a good amount of time in the paddle boat on the lake.

Thanks again for the suggestions and guidance. I appreciate the assistance!