Community Message Boards

Thread: Where do you buy Arugula?

Where do you buy Arugula?

I keep seeing recipes for salads that call for Arugula. (Ina Gartin is very fond it it. She calls is "peppery", I think.)

I have never noticed it at any grocery I frequent (Tom Thumb, Sprouts, Kroger, Target Superstore). Is it there and I have missed it? Is it seasonal, and has a short season? Or do I need to go somewhere like Central Market (specialty store) to find it?

Have you tried it? Seen it??

I can almost always find it at Kroger. It's with the packaged salad blends. When they don't have it or it doesn't look fresh, I substitute baby spinach. It's not quite the same flavor (Ina's right, I'd call it mildly peppery), but the dish calling for it will still be good.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

I, too, can usually get it at Kroger, in the packaged salads/greens section. It's usually in a clamshell package rather than a bag, and sometimes in the organic section of the salads.

If all else fails, try the spring mix, or the "50/50," which is a blend of spring mix and baby spinach.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Like Ohioan said, look for it in a clamshell package. The company that I buy is called Earthbound Farms or something like that. You can also find it at just about any farmers market. Although, it's usually sold by the organic farmers.

I've never seen it in a clamshell! I buy it from bulk at Whole Foods or just about any supermarket besides Safeway (they may sell Earthbound Farms bags, not sure) or at the farmers' market (year-round). Trader Joe's sells it in bags.
    I had some slightly different arugula in a cooking class a couple of years ago, and the teacher said it was "true arugula". Keep meaning to check out just what that means.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I, too, get organic arugula in a clamshell package at Fred Meyer (Kroger). I'm an arugula addict... simple salad with lemon juice, pepper and a splash of olive oil almost every night. If they're out of it, I'm grumpy...

Good luck finding it!

Kate

Trader Joe's seems to always have it with their bagged salad mix, at least around here.

Canice, I'd be interested to hear the difference if you ever discover what "true arugula" is. That's not just a distinction from baby arugula (which seems to be the only thing I see in the store), is it? I frequently grow arugula in the cooler months here, and it's definitely more flavorful than what I find at the store. My friend in DC gets it from her CSA and it's peppery enough that it's almost difficult to eat raw. It's hard to know whether that's a difference in growing conditions or seed strain, though.

Amy

I always find it in bags or clamshell packages too. I think it is my favorite salad green, and I was so reluctant to try it initially after hearing it described as "peppery".

Thank you all for the responses!

We have 2 Krogers - and one is the newer super Kroger type. I will go there tonight and do an intensive search! Will look at the packaged greens area.

Here is the recipe I want to try first.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...c-Glaze-353890

Someone posted about that recipe on the Weight Watchers boards and said the combination of flavors was wonderful.
    Last edited by peachesncream; 08-10-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: adding info

Canice - It's probably wild arugula. I buy wild arugula from the farmer's market. It's more peppery than regular arugula. The leaves are also much thinner. I think it's a relative of arugula, but not the same plant. I really like the stronger flavor. Now when I have regular arugula, it tastes bland do me....

Amy - your friend is probably buying wild arugula. Sounds like it from the level of pepper you describe.

It's my favorite salad green at the moment.

Is arugula the same as rocket salad/lettuce? I think I remember Trader Joe's packaged greens calling it 'rocket' (which I see at a lot of restaurants)

Yup, rocket is British - no idea why TJ's uses that label. I don't believe I've ever seen it on a menu.

I have never seen it in the midwest. I once had a recipe that called for it but said spinach could be substituted.

Kind of odd to say spinach as a substitute, IMHO; they're totally different! I mean, not that it's going to be horrible, but anything that calls for sprinkling (or mounding) arugula over it is going to be quite different with spinach.

I get it at Fresh and Easy in Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Kind of odd to say spinach as a substitute, IMHO; they're totally different! I mean, not that it's going to be horrible, but anything that calls for sprinkling (or mounding) arugula over it is going to be quite different with spinach.
    True ... maybe watercress? That's peppery, too.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

No, definitely arugula. Libra20's probably got it: maybe it was wild arugula. Looked a little different, tasted a little different, but identifiable as arugula. The store it came from is close to where I live so I should look for it there; hadn't thought of it until this thread.

I buy it at the farmer's market or pick it from my garden. Like others have mentioned, try Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, a co-op, etc.
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan

And, yes, we do have arugula in the midwest. It's not just a California thing :-)

While spinach is totally different, and not a sub in terms of taste. If my store was out of arugula, I wouldn't hesitate to use spinach in a recipe. I do like the idea of watercress, too, tho

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    And, yes, we do have arugula in the midwest. It's not just a California thing :-)

While spinach is totally different, and not a sub in terms of taste. If my store was out of arugula, I wouldn't hesitate to use spinach in a recipe. I do like the idea of watercress, too, tho
    That's what I tried to convey as well. If you can't find arugula and use spinach instead, you won't get the same results but you'll get pleasing results.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers