Community Message Boards

Thread: Beef experts...flank steak versus skirt steak

Beef experts...flank steak versus skirt steak

Which of them is more tender (considering the cut)...flank or skirt steak?

Thanks in advance.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I couldn't honestly say one is more tender than the other. They come from different parts of the steer but both have lots of connective tissue which accounts for the "toughness" of the meat and why both do well when marinaded. I have only ever used skirt for fajitas but if push came to shove I'd probably go with skirt.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

And I am going to say the exact opposite Skirt isn't really sold here a lot and when I got my hands on some I was disappointed. Really tough. May have been a bad piece of meat, too. We love flank steak though. As Sneezles said, I think both need marinating, cooking just to temp, and thin slicing. Have never tried long cooking for either kind although I have seen recipes for that.

I'm not an expert. I see flank steak at the store and buy it often. I do not often see skirt steak.

I have had much success in cooking flank steak many different ways - including marinating or giving a rub and grilling.

I think the key is not to overcook and cut it across the bias in thin strips.

Looking forward to more on this - meat can be such a difficult subject - when it comes to cuts, etc.

Lilly Bug

I don't see skirt steak here often, but I think it is more tender than flank. It maybe because it is a much thinner cut than flank steak (and I don't have the patience to slice it that thin when I serve it). I make flank steak all the time, I like the flavor but it is a chewier meat
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Interesting. I skipped this thread the first time I read it, but I would probably say flank. I don't see a lot of skirt steak here but I do think of it as something you have to marinate. I do a lot of flank steak with nothing more than a quick rub before grilling. I marinate is also, but have rarely had a tough or chewy flank steak done either way.

I prefer flank steak over skirt, which I find tough and too chewy. We had flank last night, and it was cooked perfectly delicious.

I have 3 packages of skirt in the freezer that I need to use up for fajitas.

Thank you all for your knowledge, opinion and expertise.

I ended up buying skirt steak as that was on sale (4.99/#) versus the flank steak, which was $8.99/#.
    I'll try this and then next week can go back for the flank steak
    and compare them.

They are marinating as we speak

One thing you have to be careful of with either cut is not to cook beyond med rare.

Thanks, Susan.
    I love rare meat so that is not an issue for me...I figure a minute a side and then let it rest. DH will roll his eyes, but that's what I'm doing!

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    Thanks, Susan.
    I love rare meat so that is not an issue for me...I figure a minute a side and then let it rest. DH will roll his eyes, but that's what I'm doing!
    Don't ya love it when they roll their eyes! I like to use a really hot flame and do the same thing...a minute a side.

We love both! I think the skirt has a hight fat content and as such may be a bit more tender. That being said, the last piece that I got was tougher than most anything I've had. As written above, these are cuts to be careful not to overcook.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!

Both my DH and I prefer skirt steak and usually we do not marinate it nor flank steak. Let us know how it turns out please.

We had it tonight and it was so chewy and tough, I was very disappointed. Angus beef...nice butcher...bah.
    I think I've given up on this cut.
    It was too rare for DH, so he microwaved what he took...and it was still stringy/chewy.
    On a positive note, maybe I used more calories for chewing than I consumed

That's too bad. We had cube steak tonight (aka chicken fried) and it was very tough too. DH and I had split one but I only ate a bite...I hate tough meat!