Community Message Boards

Thread: How To Cook Flanken-Style Short Ribs

How Do I Cook Flanken-Style Short Ribs?

DW bought a package of short ribs that are cut across the bone, flanken style. I've looked at various web sites and some say grill with dry heat and others say to marinate and/or braise. Apparently they are used for Korean ribs marinated in a soy sauce-based marinade but I would like to avoid that because of the sodium content.

Anyone tried cooking this type of rib cut? I'm looking for proven suggestions.

Richard
    Last edited by rjbq; 08-18-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: New title.

I've tried short ribs on the grill once and only once! They were awful. However, I've never seen the flanken cut. IMO, they need to be braised. My pitiful grocery store does not sell them in the summer because they think it's a winter cut of meat. Not much help. Maybe someone else will chime in here.

I have always wanted to try the joy of cooknig braised short ribs recipe if I ever find the short ribs.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

I've used this one from my Microwave Gourmet cookbook many times over the years. I'm not a beer lover but it works great in the recipe. I do need to make it when someone can finish the rest of beer!

Barbecued Short Ribs

4 beef short ribs (about 1 1/2 Lbs.) -- cut into pieces
    kosher salt
    pepper -- freshly ground
    6 tablespoons Red Barbecue Sauce (page 360) or bottled tomato-based barbecue sauce
    6 tablespoons beer

Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Place ribs, meat side down in 2 quart casserole. Beat sauce and beer together and pour over ribs. Cover tightly with microwave plastic wrap. Cook at 100% for 25 minutes.

Remove from microwave. Let stand for 1 minute. Transfer ribs to serving plate and keep warm. Grill or broil as desired.

Skim fat from sauce. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over ribs and serve hot.

We made this with some beef short ribs that we bought at Costco recently. They were boneless short ribs. It turned out so good that we ate the leftovers the very next night. Very flavorful. They only thing I did differently was to thicken the sauce a little at the end.

Beef Short Ribs
    Copyright 2010, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
    Serves:6 servings

Ingredients
    6 beef short ribs, trimmed of fat
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup good olive oil
    1 small fennel, fronds, stems, and core removed, large-diced
    1 leek, cleaned and large-diced, white part only
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion (2 onions)
    4 cups large-diced celery (6 large stalks)
    2 carrots, peeled and large-diced
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 (750-ml) bottle Cotes du Rhone or other dry red wine
    Fresh rosemary sprigs
    Fresh thyme sprigs
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    6 cups beef stock

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the short ribs on a sheet pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven and add the fennel, leek, onion, celery and carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and wine, bring to a boil and cook over high heat until the liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Tie the rosemary and thyme together with kitchen twine and add to the pot.

Place the roasted ribs on top of the vegetables in the Dutch oven and add the brown sugar and beef stock. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.

Carefully remove the short ribs from the pot and set aside. Discard the herbs and skim the excess fat. Cook the vegetables and sauce over medium heat for 20 minutes, until reduced. Put the ribs back into the pot and heat through. Serve with the vegetables and sauce.
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

This is my go-to recipe for beef ribs (and it uses flanken-style, cut between the bones). It's from Jennifer McLagan's Bones cookbook, which I've had excellent results with. I follow the instructions and the meat always comes up perfectly cooked. If I don't have fresh herbs, I replace the herbs with a mix of cloves (6?), whole allspice (6?), a 2in cinnamon stick (add them with the bay leaf), and the fresh chile with Aleppo pepper or hot pepper flakes to taste. I have also cooked it on the stove rather than the oven, with good results. The flavour is more intense when cooked in the oven. The fat-removing step leaves the stew very bright-tasting.

Braised Short Ribs
    Jennifer McLagan, Bones: Recipes, History & Lore
    Serves 4 to 6

3 1/2 lbs beef short ribs, cut into pieces
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 large onions, diced
    1 1/2 cups dry red wine
    3 large carrots, cut into 1-in pieces
    6 large garlic cloves, peeled
    1 serrano chile, stem removed
    One 14-oz can whole tomatoes
    3 flat-leaf parsley sprigs, plus 1/3 cup chopped parsley
    1 large basil sprig, plus 1/3 cup slivered basil leaves
    1 large thyme sprig
    1 bay leaf

1. Preheat the oven to 300F. Pat the ribs dry and season with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Brown the ribs on all sides, in batches if necessary. Transfer the ribs to a plate.
    2. Add the onion to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, or until slightly softened. Pour in the red wine and bring to a boil, deglazing the pot by scraping up the browned bits from the bottom. Add the carrots, garlic, chile and tomatoes, with their juices. Bring to the boil, then add the ribs, with any juices, the parsley, basil, and thyme sprigs, and the bay leaf.
    3. Remove the pot from the heat and cover with a damp piece of parchment paper and then the lid. Transfer to the oven and cook covered for 1 1/2 hours.
    4. Remove the lid and parchment paper and cook the ribs for another 1 1/2 hours, or until very tender.
    5. If making ahead, let the ribs cool, then refrigerate overnight. The next day, remove the layer of fat and discard the herb sprigs and chile. Reheat, covered, in a 300F oven for about 1 hour, or until heated through. Sprinkle with the chopped herbs, check the seasoning, and serve.
    6. If serving the ribs immediately, tip the pan and skim off as much fat as possible. Remove the herb sprigs and chile pepper, sprinkle with chopped herbs, and check the seasoning.

Even though I have not tried it, America's Test Kitchen does have a recipe called Braised Beef Short Ribs.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb