Community Message Boards

Thread: Easy, delicious chicken dish for a crowd

Easy, delicious chicken dish for a crowd

I'm trying to find an easy yet delicious recipe for chicken using chicken breasts for Rosh Hashanah. Anyone have any ideas of recipes to try? I'll be cooking for about 40 people (I have 10lbs of boneless chicken breasts to use). Ideally this would be something that I'd be able to keep warm in the oven without drying out. It can't have nuts and ideally not have a cream sauce.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

scratch

Chicken Marbella from Silver Palate is an old stand by for a crowd. It calls for chicken parts but could easily be modified for boneless since the sauce would keep it juicy.

Chicken Marbella

From the Silver Palate Cookbook

4 chickens, 2 1/2 lb. each, quartered
    1 head of garlic, pureed
    1/4 c dried oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 c red wine vinegar
    1/2 c olive oil
    1 c pitted prunes
    1/2 c Spanish green olives
    1/2 c capers with a bit of juice
    6 bay leaves
    1 c brown sugar
    1 c white wine
    1/4 c chopped parsley
    Combine all ingredients except brown sugar and white wine, and marinate overnight.

Arrange chicken in pan, spoon marinade over, and sprinkle with brown sugar and wine.

Bake 50-60 min at 350 degrees, basting often.

Eat! (Serves 10+, or the leftovers make great chicken salad and sandwiches.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I don't have a recipe to share but wanted to add that you might want to brine the chicken so it doesn't dry out while sitting in a warm oven.

My sister and I have a favorite Chinese restaurant, a buffet, that has little signs telling what each dish is. Our favorite is 'Boru-Boru chicken'. I searched the net for a recipe, and couldn't find one. . . .til I went to another Chinese restaurant, and their sign said 'Bourbon chicken'.

If you are opposed to bourbon, sub maple syrup for the brown sugar, and add a little bit of chicken broth. (But then you have to call it something else!)

Bourbon Chicken

1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    1 clove garlic, minced
    about an inch of fresh ginger, grated
    1 small onion, minced
    1/2 cup Bourbon Whiskey
    1 pound raw chicken, cut into bite size pieces

In a ziplock, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic , ginger, onion and bourbon; stir until sugar has dissolved. Add chicken and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Place chicken and the marinade in an 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish and bake in a preheated 350°F. oven for 45 minutes. Stir from time to time.

I serve this with steamed broccoli or snow peas, and rice. I always double it, because it freezes nicely.

If you are going to make 10 pounds of chicken, put it in a large shallow pan, so the sauce evaporates and thickens while it cooks.

I've made Chicken Marbella for Rosh Hashanah many times. It is fantastic and you do most of the work a day ahead.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I prefer this version of Chicken Marbella from Joan Nathan - it has artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes... Yum. I've made it many, many times for Rosh Hashanah and Passover.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...tichoke-hearts

Chicken Pandora

Serves 12

1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
    1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves
    1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
    1 head garlic, peeled and pureed
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    3 bay leaves
    1 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
    5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, halved crosswise
    3/4 cup light-brown sugar
    1 cup red wine
    8 shallots, chopped
    1 tablespoon margarine (only if keeping kosher - I use butter)
    1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, halved
    1 (16-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained

Directions
    In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, mix together vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, oregano, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and olives. Add chicken breasts and stir to coat. Cover and transfer to refrigerator; let marinate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover and sprinkle with brown sugar. Pour wine over chicken breasts and cover with parchment paper-lined foil. Transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, heat margarine and remaining tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until translucent. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts; remove from heat and set aside.
    Uncover chicken and pour sun-dried tomato mixture over chicken. Return to oven until sun-dried tomato mixture is heated through, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and serve immediately.

We really liked this one, and I made it with chicken breasts since that my guys all prefer white meat. You might need to shorten the cooking time a little and if keeping it Kosher, you'd have to omit the cheese and maybe use a little more olives. I've cut up the meat and mixed it all together for easy to reheat leftovers, so you could do that too -- adding a little white wine, chicken broth or tomato juice/crushed tomatoes if needed to keep it moist.

Pan-Seared Chicken With Artichokes and Pasta

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: March 2001 PAGE: 202

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:
    1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke heart quarters, undrained
    8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    4 cups hot cooked cavatappi (about 2-1/2 cups uncooked spiral tube-shaped pasta) or fusilli (short twisted spaghetti)
    1 tablespoon chopped pitted kalamata olives
    1 (14.5-ounce) canned diced tomatoes, drained
    2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Four food groups, great taste, and great nutrition--all in one bowl. Since
    everything is cooked in one pan, the larger the pan, the better.

1. Drain artichokes in a colander over a bowl, reserving marinade.

2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; coat with cooking spray. Heat a
    large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute 3 minutes on
    each side. Add onions and garlic; saute 1 minute. Stir in reserved artichoke
    marinade and wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil;
    reduce heat, and stir in artichokes, pasta, olives, and tomatoes. Cook 2
    minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings
    (serving size: 2 thighs and about 1-3/4 cups pasta mixture).

Here is the thread for Crispy Chicken with Basil & Sweet Tomatoes that got a lot of attention. We loved it and it's super easy.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...hlight=chicken
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I do enjoy the Chicken Marbella that has been posted but below is a personal favorite I've posted here before. I'm going to include the narrative story as it makes me smile every time.

This comes from a cookbook that my mother bought while we were living in Chile in 1991-1992. Every recipe is in both english and spanish and it is my most treasured cookbook. I made this recipe for my mom while we were living there to celebrate her 40th birthday. I was 15 and my best friend came over and helped me get everything ready. Later when I moved into a house during college my mom came to visit and we decided to make this recipe for my roommates. We came home to cook and went to open the bottle of wine. I was only 19 and didn't have a corkscrew. I gained true respect for my mom that night when she said to get a dime, a screwdriver and a hammer and lo and behold the bottle was open! It brings back such sweet memories, I hope you try it and enjoy!

Chicken Veronique
    Serves 6

3 whole chicken breasts; cut each one into 4 pieces
    1/2 cup flour
    salt and pepper
    4 Tbsps butter
    1/4 cup diced onion
    1/4 cup chicken stock
    3/4 cup white wine
    1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
    3 Tbsp butter
    2 cups seedless grapes, peeled (I never peel, just slice in half)

Shake the chicken in a bag with flour, salt and pepper Heat the 5 Tbsps butter in a frying pan and quickly brown the chicken on all sides. Arrange the pieces in a large shallow baking pan or casserole.

Add the onion to the butter remaining in the frying pan and cook until soft. Add the stock and the wine and bring to the boil. Then pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover and bake for 40 minutes at 375. Meanwhile saute the mushrooms in the 3 Tbsps of butter. Add the mushrooms and the grapes to the chicken and bake for a further 10 minutes.

Suggested wine: Santa Emiliana Gewurtztraminer

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

The LA Times posted this recipe today in its Rosh Hashanah feature. It shares some flavorings with the Marbella chicken but uses honey which of course is the traditional New Year sweetener.

Chicken thighs with honey, olives and oregano

September 2, 2010

advertisement

Chicken thighs with honey, olives and oregano

Total time: About 2 hours, plus marinating time

Servings: 6

Note: Adapted from "The Essential Book of Jewish Festival Cooking" by Phyllis Glazer and Miriyam Glazer. Even though some sources say that the honey of the Bible was made of dates, grapes, figs or carobs, dishes sweetened by honey are a frequent feature of Rosh Hashana fare. This dish may be prepared several hours in advance and reheated in the oven.

12 chicken thighs (or one 4 1/2- to 5-pound chicken, cut up)

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon capers (packed in brine), drained and coarsely chopped

6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

2 tablespoons dried oregano

2 cups pitted green olives

Salt

Freshly ground pepper to taste

1/2 cup dry white wine

1/2 cup flavorful honey (not clover)

1. Rinse the chicken thighs and place in a bowl. Pour over boiling water to cover and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes. Using a sharp knife, scrape the skin to remove excess surface fat. Dry the pieces and place them in a nonreactive ovenproof casserole.

2. Make a marinade by combining the red wine vinegar, olive oil, capers, garlic, oregano and olives. Taste, and season if desired with salt and pepper. Toss the marinade with the chicken, cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours, preferably overnight, turning occasionally.

3. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Turn all the chicken thighs skin up, and pour the wine over. Brush the thighs generously with honey, and cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour, then remove the cover and continue to bake until the tops of thighs are golden brown.

Each serving: 566 calories; 32 grams protein; 29 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 34 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 115 mg. cholesterol; 23 grams sugar; 491 mg. sodium.

Meatloaf

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately olives have been vetoed (I think I've looked at Chicken Marabella before and we didn't do it because of it).

I'm still on the hunt. I could also use cut up chicken if I find a suitable recipe. Just trying to find something easy and delicious.

Try Chicken Pandora - I HATE olives so I substitute w. capers. Delicious!

This is quite good and easy. It has the added advantage of also giving you nice root veggies which are reminiscent of tsimmes.

Honey-mustard Roast Chicken with Winter Vegetables

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Eating Well Magazine
    Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

6 small all-purpose potatoes, cut in quarters
    6 medium carrots, cut in 2 " slices
    3 medium parsnips, cut in 2" slices
    2 heads garlic, peeled and separated
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    4 bone-in chicken breasts, skinned and trimmed
    3 sprigs rosemary
    2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
    1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon honey

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a 10 by 14 inch roasting pan, combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, garlic and oil. Season with salt and pepper; toss well. Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle it into vegetables with rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary. Add chicken broth and cover tightly with foil.
    Bake chicken and vegetables for 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mustard and honey.
    When chicken has roasted for 30 minutes, brush with honey mustard mixture. Continue roasting, uncovered, basting chicken occasionally with pan juices, until no trace of pink remains in the center and the chicken and vegetables are tender, 25 to 35 minutes more. (if chicken is done before vegetables remove and keep warm while vegetables finish cooking) Serve immediately.

Meatloaf

I've never made this but the NY Times recipes I've used are generally quite good.

Chicken with Coca-cola and Lemons
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: NY Times
    Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

Juice of 3 lemons
    1 4 ½ pound chicken, butterflied
    3 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Zest of 2 lemons, removed with a vegetable peeler
    Olive oil, for sautéeing
    1 medium onion, thickly sliced
    ¼ cup finely julienned ginger
    3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
    1 cup Coca-Cola
    ½ teaspoon white vinegar
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.

Directions:

1. In a large, rimmed dish, sprinkle the lemon juice over both sides of the chicken. Rub with the salt and pepper, then the lemon zest. Cover and chill for 4 hours.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the chicken, skin side up, in a roasting pan. Reserve the lemon juice, diluting it with 1 tablespoon water. Cover the chicken with foil and roast for 30 minutes, basting it with the lemon juice every 5 to 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, cover the bottom of a medium sauté pan with a thin film of olive oil. Place over medium heat and add the onion and ginger. Cook until the onions are soft and golden, about 8 minutes, then stir in the garlic. Season with salt and pepper.

4. After the chicken has cooked for 30 minutes, lower the heat to 300 degrees and remove the foil. Begin basting every 10 minutes with the Coca-Cola, until the chicken juices run clear, about 1 hour more. Reheat the onions, adding the vinegars and 2 tablespoons of the chicken juices. Cook for 1 minute. Serve the chicken topped with the onions and pan drippings.

Notes:

Like many cooks, I keep a file of recipes I want to try. When I looked through it recently, there were a preponderance of lemon recipes, including one for roasted chicken with lemons and Coca-Cola from Frédérick Grasser-Hermé. Again, the savory and sweet. A food writer who has worked with chefs like Alain Ducasse, Grasser-Hermé is also the wife of the Parisian pastry chef Pierre Hermé. It humored me that a French cook would deign to baste her chicken with Coke. But it makes perfect sense: like many drinks — wheat beer, iced tea, sangria, Vietnamese sugar-cane juice — Coca-Cola is always improved by a wedge of lemon.

Meatloaf

Wait, wait, wait--how do you open a wine bottle with a screwdriver, a hammer and a dime?

Thanks for starting the thread, scratch! I'm looking for a chicken recipe for RH, too! I have made the Marbella recipe for years, and really love it, but want something different this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
    Wait, wait, wait--how do you open a wine bottle with a screwdriver, a hammer and a dime?
    Place the dime on top of the cork. Position screwdriver on top of dime, and tap with hammer. Voila! The wine flows!