Community Message Boards

Thread: Pioneer Woman's Asian Noodle Salad

Thumbs up Pioneer Woman's Asian Noodle Salad

I took this to a Salad Supper last week and it was a hit! I loved it and 3 people asked for the recipe. It's so colorful and pretty.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ver_ever_ever/

I rarely follow recipes to a "T" , so here are my changes.
    It's easy to adapt to your own tastes.

I added 2 shredded carrots in place of the orange pepper; omitted the bean sprouts and the cucumber; used cocktail peanuts instead of cashews. I didn't like the way the peanuts fell to the bottom of the salad, so next time I might serve them on the side and let people add their own. Plus I didn't like the texture of the nuts in the leftover salad. And don't add the spinach too far in advance because it was wilted on day 2.

About the dressing:
    I made a bit extra and didn't add the cilantro to the dressing but I did use it in the salad (adding it right before serving)--about 1/2 to 2/3 of a bunch; I used red pepper flakes in place of the hot peppers (maybe 1/2-3/4 tsp?); used 2 limes instead of one; used Kikkoman's low-sodium soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and 3 garlic cloves. And added freshly ground black pepper.

Whew! I think those are all my changes. It makes a HUGE salad. I had to mix it up in a roasting pan! Enjoy.

This is an Epicurious review!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Quote Originally Posted by PAMMELA View Post
    This is an Epicurious review!
    All of mine are like that! I just can't help myself from tweaking almost every recipe to suit my tastes.

Thanks for pointing this one out and I like your tweaks. I think I'll be making your version. Pioneer Woman attributes this to The Naked Chef (Jaime Oliver); has anyone seen the original recipe? I did a quick google search, but didn't find it right away.

Hey, if this salad really will make me lose 25 pounds and become a better person, I'm all for it!

I have heard that those shirataki noodles that Hungry Girl promotes so often are best when they've soaked in a flavorful sauce. Although it already looks like a pretty light dish with all those veggies, I may try it with the shiratakis and report back. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for posting Linda! I stopped by needing inspiration for a potluck tomorrow and this dish looks yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynY View Post
    Thanks for posting Linda! I stopped by needing inspiration for a potluck tomorrow and this dish looks yummy.
    Ditto! I think this is the one!
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

I just wanted to come back to say that this salad was a total hit!

I also subbed one large carrot (julienned) for the orange pepper. I included the cucumber (also julienned) and the sprouts and was happy with the result. I also went with toasted sesame oil. Yum. I used 1 1/2 serrano peppers, but I think I would go with 2 next time (or maybe add some Tobasco) for some additional kick. I topped the salad with toasted cashews and cilantro, right before serving. The salad was completely gone by the end of the evening.

I totally agree that this salad is gigantic. I had to move it into my 13 quart stainless steel bowl to mix it. I ended up taking one large bowl to the potluck (and transferred it to a plate for serving - it was impressive!) and kept one large bowl at home. I think I know what I will be eating for the next few days! ha.

Thanks for posting!

Linda, can you tell me how big the package of linguini is? I'm wondering if there is only one size. (I worry about picky stuff like this.) I looked at the original recipe and it doesn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by peachesncream View Post
    Linda, can you tell me how big the package of linguini is? I'm wondering if there is only one size. (I worry about picky stuff like this.) I looked at the original recipe and it doesn't say.
    Not Linda, but the package of Linguine that I used was 454g or 1 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjasper View Post
    I just wanted to come back to say that this salad was a total hit!

I also subbed one large carrot (julienned) for the orange pepper. I included the cucumber (also julienned) and the sprouts and was happy with the result. I also went with toasted sesame oil. Yum. I used 1 1/2 serrano peppers, but I think I would go with 2 next time (or maybe add some Tobasco) for some additional kick. I topped the salad with toasted cashews and cilantro, right before serving. The salad was completely gone by the end of the evening.

I totally agree that this salad is gigantic. I had to move it into my 13 quart stainless steel bowl to mix it. I ended up taking one large bowl to the potluck (and transferred it to a plate for serving - it was impressive!) and kept one large bowl at home. I think I know what I will be eating for the next few days! ha.

Thanks for posting!
    Thanks for your review. I moved to Ottawa and really miss Comox. How's the weather these days?
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I, too, made this salad and thought it was very good. My changes (seems like everyone tweaked a bit!) are as follows -

I left out the bean sprouts - I just don't find them visually appealing!

I used bow- tie pasta as I thought it would be easier to eat than the linguini

You definitely need a crowd if you are making this - it's huge!

Now I need some ideas on using the 1/2 head of purple cabbage and Napa cabbage!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by helene View Post
    Thanks for your review. I moved to Ottawa and really miss Comox. How's the weather these days?
    Not sure when you moved, but it has been a glorious summer. Unfortunately, the last couple of days of the long weekend have been cooler with some showers. Definitely feels like fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    Now I need some ideas on using the 1/2 head of purple cabbage and Napa cabbage!
    I second that request!

I have made this salad several times and it is always a hit. I do cut back the soy sauce a bit. It was a little strong as written IMHO. It is a very visually appealling salad so it's great for a buffet table. D
    Read and Feed!!!

I have a couple girlfriends coming over for lunch next weekend and would like to make this, but I think I need a protein too. Any suggestions? And would I put the protein, such as grilled chicken, etc. - in the salad, or serve it separately?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
    I have a couple girlfriends coming over for lunch next weekend and would like to make this, but I think I need a protein too. Any suggestions? And would I put the protein, such as grilled chicken, etc. - in the salad, or serve it separately?
    With the leftovers, I bought a roasted chicken and just served the salad with the chicken slices on top. I have also made other recipes that are similar that call for shredded chicken to be mixed in with the noodles. I think either way would work fine.

Yes, I used a 1 lb. pkg of pasta also.

Quote Originally Posted by dgeevanson View Post
    I do cut back the soy sauce a bit. It was a little strong as written IMHO.
    Now, see, I actually added extra. Maybe it was because I used the low-sodium kind, but I didn't think the flavor was too strong at all.

Barrie, yes, you could add the chicken to the salad or have it on the side. Or you could even thread chicken tenders on skewers and grill them. Chicken satay maybe?