Community Message Boards

Thread: Hot Sauce - Any Difference

Hot Sauce - Any Difference

I am the first to admit that I am not a hot sauce connoisseur although I dutifully stock Srichacha, crushed red peppers, ground cayenne, hot paprika, chili garlic sauce, Tabasco and some green curry -- probably more lurking around.

Aside from obvious differences in heat level and consistency, I have to confess that I don't taste any nuances of taste in the finished product although I dutifully add what the recipe specifies in most cases.

Is there a difference between Tabasco and Frank's Hot Sauce?

Srichacha and chili garlic when a dish has garlic (although the chili garlic has flecks and the Srichacha is smooth).
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog View Post
    I'm certainly no expert, but Tabasco is a lot hotter than Frank's. You can use way more Frank's in a recipe than Tabasco. For example, in hot wings I use 1/2 cup of Franks. I wouldn't want to use 1/2 cup Tabasco in anything. Franks adds good flavor w/a bit of a kick, while Tabasco adds mainly heat (I think).
    We go through a lot of Franks in this house.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda in MO View Post
    I'm certainly no expert, but Tabasco is a lot hotter than Frank's. You can use way more Frank's in a recipe than Tabasco. For example, in hot wings I use 1/2 cup of Franks. I wouldn't want to use 1/2 cup Tabasco in anything. Franks adds good flavor w/a bit of a kick, while Tabasco adds mainly heat (I think).
    We go through a lot of Franks in this house.
    I agree really strongly with this post.

Franks definitely adds heat and flavor, while Tabasco is just plain old heat.

We cook and garnish with Franks a lot, but we virtually never use a hot sauce that is just a hot sauce.

To me, Tabasco is vinegary while Frank's also has red pepper in its cayenne pepper hot sauce. Although, I prefer Cholula over Tabasco and love Frank's.
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

Don't know what would happen if a dish were made a dozen times with the only difference being in the type of hot sauce, but as far as "standard" American stuff, I can't stand Tabasco for the same reason I can't stand cayenne pepper: seems to add just heat and nothing else - prefer hot peppers that are fruitier and have a rounder flavor. I used to use Rancho Gordo's Rio Fuego and learned it was made with pear vinegar.

I use sriracha on finished dishes, don't know that I've ever cooked with it and that may make a difference, but at pho joints I'll dip the meat into any of the hot condiments on the table. Mmm...pho
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog View Post
    Aside from obvious differences in heat level and consistency, I have to confess that I don't taste any nuances of taste in the finished product although I dutifully add what the recipe specifies in most cases.

After you become a hot sauce connoisseur, you will be able to tell the difference between brands of hot sauce even in recipes where the hot sauce is cooked. Hot sauce usage is like wine, there are those that say all red wine tastes the same and there are those that say that all hot sauce tastes the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    After you become a hot sauce connoisseur, you will be able to tell the difference between brands of hot sauce even in recipes where the hot sauce is cooked. Hot sauce usage is like wine, there are those that say all red wine tastes the same and there are those that say that all hot sauce tastes the same.
    Ah, so I'm not crazy after all... I can definitely tell the difference between one hot sauce and another. And yes, Tabasco does add a vinegary and (dare I say it?) kind of chalky note in addition to the heat. I love playing with the different hot sauces, and tasting new ones when I can.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity Hears View Post
    To me, Tabasco is vinegary while Frank's also has red pepper in its cayenne pepper hot sauce.
    That's almost exactly what I was going to say! My favorite hot sauces are Crystal and Louisiana.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

I'm not a hot sauce expert by any means, but I think Tabasco (and others similar to it) has a very distinctive flavor, and one that I don't like in very many things because of the strong vinegar taste.

I'd never use Tabasco to spice up a Mexican or Asian dish, for example, because it's simply the wrong kind of heat.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White