Community Message Boards

Thread: Danger in Expired Pancake/ Cake Mixes ??!?!?!

Danger in Expired Pancake/ Cake Mixes ??!?!?!

I recently got an Email saying that eating pancakes, cake, brownies, etc. made from expired/old mixes from the pantry could have serious health problems, and even cause death. It sounded like hundreds of other bogus Email alerts I have received.

However, included was a link to Snopes.com, who verifies that it COULD possibly be a danger... not likely, but possible. This is due to the yeast in the mixes forming mold, which could be toxic to those allergic to the mold. (link below)

Anyway, figured it was worth "spreading the word" just in case..... I would never have thought this in a million years.

LINK TO SNOPES:
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp
    Keep Calm & Eat More Bacon !!

I haven't heard this, but if you're concerned, here's a GREAT pancake mix from Cook's Country:

Pancake Mix (Makes about 6 cups of mix)

2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups cake flour
    1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
    3/4 cup malted milk powder (Carnation Original)
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon salt
    12 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Process all ingredients in a food processor until there are no lumps and the mixture is the texture of wet sand, about two minutes. Freeze in an airtight container for up to two months.

To make 8 pancakes: Whisk 2 cups mix, 2 lightly beaten eggs, and 1/2 cup buttermilk in a large bowl until smooth. Pour 1/4-cup portions of pancake batter into large nonstick skillet and cook over medium-low heat until golden brown, about two minutes per side. Repeat with remaining batter.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

It's not yeast (which most mixes don't have anyway) -- it is mold growing in an old mix and only for people who have a strong allergy to those molds. It's not the mold or the mix that can be deadly, it is the allergic reaction. It would be like folks eating peanuts or shellfish if they have a strong allergy to those or getting a penicillin shot when they are allergic to it.

... and making your own mix doesn't solve the problem. Mold can grow in it just like a commercial mix. In fact, I'd say that it would be MORE likely with long-stored homemade mix since commercial mixes would have preservatives, etc.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Additionally I believe those mixes have fats in them that could go bad. While that wouldn't harm you outright, it's not good for your health. You could smell it though and tell I think.

a friend of mine who never cooks made waffles for her 16 yo son one day from a mix. They noticed the waffles looked dark but he ate them and went on to school. About 1 hr after he was at school, the school called to tell my friend that his lips were swollen and he needed to see a dr. Turns out the mix was well over 1 yr expired and he had some type of reaction to it. They were never sure what the reaction exactly was to in the expired mix and he never had issues again. My friend also made expired brownies from a mix and hash once! I never eat at her house!

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    ... and making your own mix doesn't solve the problem. Mold can grow in it just like a commercial mix. In fact, I'd say that it would be MORE likely with long-stored homemade mix since commercial mixes would have preservatives, etc.
    I disagree, as the homemade mix is stored in the freezer. Additionally, I know the quality and age of my ingredients, as well as the conditions under which the mix is made. I have no knowledge of the plant conditions and storage conditions at the manufacturing facility.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

It seems the issue, or common denominator, was that the packages were either left open for mold spores to fall into or they were stored in paper packaging that isn't moisture resistant. Seems storing the mixes in airtight containers or moisture proof containers, or simply making sure the inner plastic bag is kept closed when not in use, may have prevented the mold issue in the first place.
    It's terrible that this happened, but seems like it could be preventable.

I think expiration dates are there for a reason. I might use something slightly over the expiration date, but not a year. Ergot is a fungus of rye that was used as a poison or abortifact in olden days (or at least historical novels).

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraL View Post
    I think expiration dates are there for a reason. I might use something slightly over the expiration date, but not a year. Ergot is a fungus of rye that was used as a poison or abortifact in olden days (or at least historical novels).
    Agreed. If a manufacturer gives an expiration date, there has to be a reason for it. Many times you can disregard it by a small amount of time, but a year??

Yeah, I agree about the expiration dates. My friend in that scenario never cooks and did not notice the expiration date until after her son had the reaction. Ergot is the fungus that is believed to have caused the convulsions/hallucinations, etc that caused others to think people were witches (the Salem witch trials)