Community Message Boards

Thread: Chicken Marinated in Milk

Chicken Marinated in Milk

Hi Everyone,

I recently made Cook's Illustrated Buttermilk Fried Chicken and it was awesome! The buttermilk/salt brine made the chicken super moist and I'd like more recipes that use a lactose marinade, like buttermilk or yogurt. But I am also wondering if it would be possible to marinate chicken in a buttermilk brine but then rinse it off and season it in a completely different manner, like, with BBQ sauce or a lemon garlic seasoning? Anyone have any ideas or recipes to share? Thanks!

You could just grill it and the towards the end of the grilling time baste it in bbq sauce...any sooner and you tend to burn it because of the sugar content in the bbq sauce.

I would think patting it dry rather than rinsing and then adding a dry rub would work.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

We really like this marinade http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...rilled+chicken and like Sneezles suggested we brush with BBQ sauce the last 10 - 15 minutes

Thumbs up

This is really good! Make sure you marinate overnight though. Terrytx posted it a long time ago.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Grilled Chicken

Recipe By : LHJ online
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Chicken For the Grill
    Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
    4 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    2 chickens (3 to 3 1/2 lbs. each), cut up
    Lemon wedges, for garnish

Combine buttermilk, ginger, garlic, cumin, salt and red pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Place chicken in a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag. Add marinade, seal bag and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

Remove chicken from refrigerator 1 hour before grilling. Heat grill. Remove chicken from marinade; grill, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

Makes 8 servings. Perserving: Calories 405, Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 144 mg, Sodium 501 mg, Carbohydrates 2 g, Protein 45 g,

Source:
    "posted by Terrytx"

NOTES : I trimmed all the excess fat and only left a small amount of skin on the chicken. Used ground chipotle instead of cayenne.

We like this one, too.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Picnic Oven-Fried Chicken

Recipe By : EW
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Chicken Low-Fat
    Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco (I use Franks and use more than a tsp)
    2 1/2 pounds chicken legs, skin removed, fat trimmed -- (2 1/2 to 3 lbs.)
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    olive oil cooking spray

Whisk buttermilk, mustard, garlic, and hot sauce in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour or for up to 8 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.

Whisk flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag. Shaking off excess marinade, place one or two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place chicken on the perpared rack. (Discard any left over flour mixture and marinade.) Spray chicken pieces with cooking spray.

Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer should register 180 degrees.

per serving: 227 cal, 7g fat, 130mg chol, 5g carb, 34g pro, 1 g fiber, 262mg sod.

Source:
    "Eating Well-summer/03"

NOTES : EW-summer/03-another really big winner. DD said it tasted like KFC (it didn't really, but better!) Terrytx

my notes: I used a cut up chicken instead of just legs, so I upped all the other ingredients a bit. I skinned all the pieces except the wings. Also, I accidentally left out the garlic in the buttermilk mixture, so I just added some garlic powder to the coating mixture. The whole family loved it! A definite repeater! I served it with buttermilk mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, marinated cucumbers, sliced yellow tomatoes, and leftover potato chive bread.