Community Message Boards

Thread: Uses for Almond Milk

Question Uses for Almond Milk

I did something I normally don't do. I bought a half gallon of almond milk for a recipe I'd never made before and didn't particularly enjoy. I used 2 cups and now have 6 more cups to go. Any recipes or other uses? I suppose I could use it in smoothies, but I'd be drinking smoothies for weeks. Although it only cost $3.00, it chaps me to not use it.

Sounds like it it time for some homemade chocolate pudding.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

It makes good rice pudding. it's good as a sub for milk in muffins, too. we like it over oatmeal, too. i'm taking it you don't want to drink it per se-- but why????

OMG! I love Almond Milk. I use it in my cereal daily

I love almond milk too!
    I like to drink it, to use it on cereal, to cook my oatmeal with it (makes it soooo creamy! yum!), to make chocolate milk or hot cocoa (good!)
    You can also freeze the almond milk in ice cube trays, put the cubes on a zipbag after frozen and use them as needed for smoothies!
    Take a look at either the silk almond milk or the almond breeze websites, both have ideas and recipes using almond milk.
    You can pretty much use it as regular milk to bake muffins, I have done that and it worked great.
    If making chocolate pudding I believe you need a tad more cornstarch than the regular milk recipe, there is a recipe on the silk almond website that works for the almond milk.
    Hope you use it up and have fun discoveries with your almond milk!
    Ana

Thanks, everyone! I went to the Silk website and learned a lot about almond milk. I didn't realize you could drink it. I assumed it was just for cooking. Silly me..... I'm thinking of trying it with my oatmeal tomorrow.

It's hard to fathom that at my age I'm still learning about cooking, thanks in a large part to this BB.

Like Ana, when I cook my oatmeal I replace the water with almond milk - delicious.
    If you bought unsweetened, add a couple of tablespoons to whisked eggs when making scrambled eggs or omelettes.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

I recently discovered how much I like almond milk too. So far I haven't used it in any recipes, I just drink it.

I also love almond milk. I use it every morning in my protein shake and also found this delicious recipe for iced coffee.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=794247
    Christie

I'm another who just drinks it or has it on cereal. I guess I didn't know you could cook with it.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

has anyone besides me tried Silk's Dark Chocolate Almond milk?

it is treatworthy. though i've only been able to purchase it at Target thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post

it is treatworthy. though i've only been able to purchase it at Target thus far.
    I haven't yet, but have heard wonders about it! Seems like a very delicious chocolate milk.
    I prefer my milk to be unsweetened so even though I think the silk almond milk has a wonderful taste and texture I mostly buy the Almond Breeze brand since they have unsweetened. I wish Silk would make some unsweetened too.
    I have issues with sugar, but my son loves the silk almond milk! (he definitely prefers that over AB)
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post

I love that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Aninha View Post
    even though I think the silk almond milk has a wonderful taste and texture I mostly buy the Almond Breeze brand since they have unsweetened. I wish Silk would make some unsweetened too.
    I have issues with sugar, but my son loves the silk almond milk! (he definitely prefers that over AB)
    Ana
    i like the unsweetened best...funny, i was never a milk drinker till i switched to soy, almond & rice milks.

i am trying to get into making my own almond milk though.
    lower sodium!