Community Message Boards

Thread: how to cook boneless pork chops?

Question how to cook boneless pork chops?

I just bought two small boneless pork chops (0.79 lb total for both) because they were on sale, and now I've got to figure out how to cook them. I never seem to have much success with pork chops (meaning they're always dry and tough by the time I'm done with them), so I thought I'd try a recipe I found on epicurious for a beer-brine. But it directs you to grill them, which I don't really want to mess around with. If I sear them on the stovetop first, about how long and at what temp should I let them finish in the oven? Any other suggestions welcome, too!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I wouldn't finish them in the oven at all but just pan-fry them; even the bone-in ones I found I was overcooking by finishing in the oven. I've never gotten around to brining pork chops but have finally stopped overcooking them anyhow!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I just season them and cook them in a pan with a little olive oil. Brown the first side and when it loosens easily, flip them, and cook until the center is not quite firm. When the center is firm, the meat will be well done and quickly become overdone. That's my usual.

Great! Thank you you so much!

That's what I usually make. I buy a whole pork loin and cut them the thickness we like (on the thin side).

I usually cook them on medium - takes a little longer, but they don't get dried out. About 4 minutes per side.
    barbara-cook

How thick are they? If they are thick enough to insert a thermometer, I cook pork chops to ~145 degrees. I'm not very good at judging meat doneness without the thermometer. If they are pretty thin, then just browning both sides will probably result in the inside being done.

I cook boneless pork chops all the time and don't have a problem with them being dry. For the typical 3/4-inch-ish cut, I pan-fry on medium to medium high (depending on the stove) for 4 minutes on each side, with no fiddling about. Just season the chops, heat the skillet, film with oil, plop in the meat, set the timer for 4 minutes. Turn, set the timer for 4 minutes. Remove from skillet and allow to rest 10 minutes or so to finish cooking from residual heat. In the mean time, make a pan sauce with the fond in the skillet.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I like finishing them in the oven. I use a cast iron skillet and sear on the stove top then add some apple cider and onions (sometimes mushrooms if I have them). Then finish in a 425º oven for about 25 minutes...tasty!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!