Community Message Boards

Thread: Too many lemons!

Too many lemons!

I have several old lemon trees!
    Do you have any good lemon recipes so that I can use them up! I already made juice and froze it in cubes.
    Have recipe for lemon pie of course, but how about cookies or cakes that I can freeze?
    Curleytop

I don't know how well this will freeze, but it would be a delicious try.

Randy Mayor; Mary Catherine Muir
    Butter Crunch Lemon-Cheese Bars

A buttery, crunchy pastry crust forms the base for a tangy lemon filling. You can substitute fresh orange juice and grated orange rind for lemon, if you wish. These are best served chilled.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 bar)

Crust:
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    Cooking spray

Filling:
    1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
    3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare crust, place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour to butter mixture, and beat at low speed until well-blended. Press crust into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

To prepare filling, place cottage cheese in a food processor; process 2 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once. Add 1 cup granulated sugar and remaining ingredients, and process until well-blended. Pour filling over crust. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until set (the edges will get lightly browned), and cool. Cover and chill for 8 hours.

CALORIES 281 (29% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 5.2g,mono 2.6g,poly 0.6g); IRON 1.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 49mg; CALCIUM 40mg; CARBOHYDRATE 44.5g; SODIUM 298mg; PROTEIN 6.7g; FIBER 0.5g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2001

I have not made iether one of these recipes, but here's another one to try.

Glazed Lemon Buttermilk Cake

This cake is great with a cup of morning coffee or mixed berries and a scoop of sorbet for dessert. Use a whole teaspoon of lemon extract for more intense lemon flavor.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Cake:
    3 tablespoons grated lemon rind (about 2 lemons)
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
    Cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
    3 cups all-purpose flour (13 1/2 ounces)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon extract
    3 large eggs
    1 cup low-fat buttermilk

Lemon glaze:
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare cake, combine rind and 3 tablespoons juice in a small bowl. Set aside.

Coat a 10-inch Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.

Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, rind mixture, and extract, beating until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1 cup buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beating at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons juice, and 1 tablespoon buttermilk in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm cake. Garnish with grated lemon rind once glaze is set, if desired.

CALORIES 267 (24% from fat); FAT 7g (sat 4g,mono 1.9g,poly 0.4g); IRON 1.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 56mg; CALCIUM 46mg; CARBOHYDRATE 47.3g; SODIUM 252mg; PROTEIN 4.3g; FIBER 0.8g

Cooking Light,

LOVE this recipe - my husband requests it frequently.

Barefoot Contessa's Lemon Cake

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

Ingredients

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
    4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
    1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
    3 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
    3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    For the glaze:
    nocoupons
    2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans. You may also line the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.

Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon zest.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. When the cakes are done, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan; spoon the lemon syrup over them. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.

I'll second the recommendation for the BC cake. I don't think I'll ever make any other lemon cake again.

Amy

I haven't tried this (too many lemons is a problem I wish I had!), but if you have a serious oversupply, it sounds like a good use for them:

http://eatingsuburbia.blogspot.com/2...-frenzy-2.html

I reported the spam upthread.

Not a freezable cake or cookie, but what about preserved lemons to use in tagines or other savory dishes?

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2006/12/moroccan-preser-1/

our new favorite this summer

This is not a cookie or cake to freeze but uses a lot of lemon...

Grilled Lemon Chicken With Cabbage and Corn Slaw

Serves 4 Hands-on Time: 20m Total Time: 20m
    Ingredients
    • 2 teaspoons honey
    • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
    • 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    • kosher salt and black pepper
    • 1/4 small green cabbage (1/2 pound), cored and shredded I use red
    • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    • 1 cup corn kernels (from 1 to 2 ears, or thawed if frozen)
    • 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Directions
    *1. In a large bowl, whisk together the honey, 2 tablespoons of the oil, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the cabbage, bell pepper, and corn and toss to combine.
    2. Heat grill to medium-high. Rub the chicken with the remaining teaspoon of oil and season with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill the chicken, basting often with the remaining 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Serve with the slaw.
    Tip
    For a lighter, more delicate take on this summery slaw, try substituting savoy or Napa cabbage for the common green variety.

Nutritional Information Calories 326; Fat 12g; Sat Fat 2g; Cholesterol 94mg; Sodium 602mg; Protein 37g; Carbohydrate 17g; Sugar 8g; Fiber 3g; Iron 2mg; Calcium 53mg

*I make extra of the dressing and use it on salads.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

You can freeze them whole - with or without the zest. I have sliced them and frozen the slices.

Thank you all for your great recipies) I am going to download them all.
    Curleytop

That's an enviable problem you have, Curleytop, one I can't imagine having but wish I did.
    *Here's a link* to a favourite recipe of ours for a frozen lemon meringue torte that I posted here years ago - I don't know what others here might think of it as I can''t recall anyone ever making it and posting about it. It's pretty easy for a fancy dessert that's so delicious (just ask my wife). I don't know how long the torte will keep in the freezer - I think about 10 days is the longest we've managed before it's all gone.
    The recipe is posted in a long lemon dessert thread so you might have a look through it too.
    Cheers! Andy