Community Message Boards

Thread: Splenda vs Truvia for baking

Splenda vs Truvia for baking

Looking forward to the holiday baking season, I'm just curious to see if folks here have a preference for one or the other. I know you can't sub artificial sweeteners for everything, but what have you found that has worked for you-what has enabled you to end up with the most "normal" tasting goodies (especially cookies). DH's blood sugars have been on the higher side (he's not a diabetic "yet") and we're trying to cut back on the sweet stuff-I don't want him to feel like he's missing out, especially during the holidays :)
    Thanks!

My best experiences say that you should use "some" sugar, and for the substitutes, use 2 different, baking-type sweeteners. That would be Truvia (though I haven't tried it) and Splenda, but not Equal! Something in the sweeteners hand-shakes with each other, so you don't get a bitter taste. Good luck, and report back with the results of your experiments!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Splenda

I have baked with splenda many times. The nice thing about splenda is it measured cup for cup in recipes. Here's a website for a converison chart: http://www.splenda.com/cooking-baking/conversion-charts

Thanks! Kay, we've been using a fair amount of Truvia and like it, but I think it is more expensive than Splenda. Good idea to combine the sweeteners-I'll keep you updated
    Fstrpstr-thanks for the link!