Community Message Boards

Thread: Birthday Party Ideas for 8 year old boy???

Birthday Party Ideas for 8 year old boy???

Good morning!

I'm helping DBF with his son's upcoming birthday and we are looking for ideas.

The past couple of years, they have had a small petting zoo at the grandparents house, but this year, the birthday boy wants a "regular" birthday party.

When I think birthday party, I think pin the tail on the donkey, and other games like that, ice cream and cake. I don't know if that is completely outdated now.

What kind of games do kids do at birthday parties these days? Should it be "themed" or more "eclectic"?

I'm really in the dark, so any ideas or thoughts for a party would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Jamie

What does he mean by "regular"? The weeone (8) just went to a bowling party for a friend's birthday and the kids had a BLAST!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Did he specify what is a regular birthday for him? I am not sure if my boy is the same as yours because the term regular birthday means just a simple gathering I mean foods,close family and relative and a few friends to invite for lunch or dinner maybe. If you are not sure, try asking him again what he wants and this time be specific on what he wants.

My sister just had my niece's 7th B-day party and it was "glow in the dark" theme. They had a blast.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Do you mean an at-home party? My ds wanted one when he turned nine (I think it was nine). We had it at our home, served pizza, let the kids decorate cupcakes (mostly the girls did that), made smores in the backyard (mostly the boys did that), and had a scavenger hunt. The hunt was the kind where there are clues with directions leading to more clues. We did ours at the park. One clue was on the slide. The next was on the swing, etc. The big reveal at the end was silly string for each child. They had a silly string fight and that was that.

It really was one of the best parties we've ever had.
    TKay

If he wants an at home party, some things we've seen done recently are a Minute to Win It Party based on the tv show, where the kids competed in teams or alone for small prizes, or a messy party (which is more of an outdoor thing.) The messy party served messy foods, had a mud pit, pool of jello, etc. It was a disaster area but the kids had a blast. The mom hosed the kids off then gave out beach towels as the favor to make the ride home more manageable.

Have fun planning!

I can't remember which party was at which age, but my boys had a backyard party with a slip n slide and a lot of outdoor activities (giant bubble wands and bubble guns, may have had water balloons or small squirt guns, that one had the watermelon cake -- I remember that ), a moonwalk and a pinata (that one might have had the caterpillar cake), one time they did a sidewalk chalk mural, another time a bowling party, a marshmallow shooter party -- a ton of fun.

Folks who've been around will remember a couple of threads about the marshmallow shooters made with sections of the smaller PVC pipe and connectors. I think they may have been originally posted at the holidays, but we did some food and cake first with some smaller games. Then we brought out a bunch of plain brown lunch bags folded over and stapled at the top -- one for each boy and a few extras. We told them we were going to have a building activity and tried to see if anyone could guess what we were going to make. They couldn't. We gave them a bag of mini marshmallows as a hint. Still no correct guesses. We told them the marshmallows were their ammo and they started into all kinds of ideas. We finally showed them a shooter we had made in advance, but we told them they could assemble theirs any way they wanted, trade pieces, etc. It was a lot of fun seeing how they built them, and the rest of the time was spent having marshmallow wars. The boys took their shooters home with them.

They had a blast, DH had a blast, and even the neighbors wound up watching and having fun. I think that would be on a similar plane with the silly string scavenger hunt. I think boys want to be able to run, play and be boys at that age, so that kind of thing works well -- and tires them for a good night's sleep. Let me know if you have trouble finding the instructions.

UGH! I haven't been able to get back to everyone on this so I apologize..

Yes, based on talks with him, he wants an "at home" party - cake, ice cream, and "lots of presents" - his words, not mine.. lol

We just don't know what kind of activities to have available for the kids for entertainment. He loves the large inflatables and things like that, so I thought that we might consider that, but I don't have alot of ideas outside of that.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Jamie

I think games like Pin the tail on the donkey, etc, might be more appropriate for a younger child. Same with the petting zoo theme. I think he may be angling for something a little less "childish," which, ironically, seems typical for the age.

I agree strongly with the others who have suggested that you ask him specifically what he has in mind and then help him develop that idea into something workable.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

DS is turning 7 next week. He would enjoy an at-home obstacle course, a game of kickball or a waterballoon fight party.

In fact, if we had a larger yard, we'd probably be doing one of those instead of having a party at the local ice rink.