Community Message Boards

Thread: Help with Mosquitos in the house

Help with Mosquitos in the house

I have mosquitos that I am sure are nesting somewhere as I have had a steady of stream of mosquitos in the house for awhile. 2 weeks ago I went thru the plants to make sure there was no standing water, did find some water in one plant tray and thought that was it, but I still have them.

Any ideas where else I can look where they might be coming from. Its not like they fly in with a door being open. We have had winter weather here for a month now.

TIA

Laurie

bumping this up, I just noticed 5 huge mosquitos on the bathroom ceiling. I have no standing water in it anywhere I can see. Again any ideas where they could be living/breeding

Laurie

Do you have a drain that isn't getting used much -- a second sink, bathtub or shower that is only used occasionally? Could they be in the water in the drain trap?

I was thinking of the drains in our bathroom, but we use them everyday. And they seem to be on this bathroom themost. I do have bath that is used occasionally, that could be the culprit. I went and shut the stopper.

Fill the tub at least partially with hot water and then let it all out -- then try to run some water down the drain at least once a week for a while. There is also something you can put in the water that changes the surface tension on the water and prevents them from being able to breed, but on a drain, moving water might be the easiest. I don't know if a cup of bleach or vinegar would help, but it can't hurt.

Are you sure they are mosquitos? They are not smaller bugs, more like a fruit fly? Mosquitos generally do not breed indoors, but sewer flies do. They are a bit larger than fruit flies, and darker, and their wings are round, not long like a skeeter's wings.

The cure for sewer flies is a potful of boiling water, poured down every drain in the house. They don't really come out of the sewers, but they do breed in the gunk inside drains.

They are bad in my house right now.

Oh , yes! I had those with an out of service shower while the underlying problem was being taken care of. I thought they were kind of heart shaped flies -- a bit rounder and smaller than the average housefly.

Well, you could do what we did. It got rid of the indoor mosquitos but you might not be crazy about the other results.

We had tiny skeeters that hid in the icky old carpet. I've hated it since we moved in, so Miss Brilliance here decided we'd rip out all of the carpet and old flooring- ourselves. Then I went out of town for the day and left DH to deal with a handyman who A) showed up 3 hours late and

B) brought only one guy with him instead of the 3 he promised and
    C) didn't want to get the carpet out properly from under cabinets, refrigerators, bookshelves.

So - we got rid of all the carpet, have bare concrete floors, did wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much of it ourselves and TADAH! can't make up our minds what we want to do next.

But!! We don't have the little nasty mosquitos anymore.

Good luck!

Patt
    Last edited by patt; 11-13-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Double signed
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

They are mosquitios, I think they may be coming from our other bathroom, the drain is pretty clogged, Dh is suppoes to clean it.

Patt, this is wierd, mosquitos living in carpet, our carpet is only a year old, and just had them cleaned last week.

Mosquitoes breed in stagnant places, open or clogged drains, damp places, nearby ponds. Mosquitoes in carpet is weird maybe the carpet needs to be sun dried, sometimes it gives better results than a vacuum clean. You've looked at all the right places, check the compound as well and if you still cannot detect, inform the authorities. Dengue and malaria are fatal diseases and your information will be very helpful. Good luck!