Community Message Boards

Thread: Themed Basket For Raffle

Themed Basket For Raffle

I need an idea for a themed basket for a raffle....Am hoping that some of you will share some ideas with me,. My niece is doing a Christmas Movie theme, complete with Christmas DVD, popcorn, hot chocolate w/marshmallows etc....

I would appreciate any help that you can give. I need to submit my idea by this afternoon.

Thanks in advance!
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I recently went to a fundraiser where you buy the tickets and put them in a bowl in front of the basket, the most popular were a garden basket, and a relaxing basket that had lavendar items and soaking/bath stuff along with ones that had cooking themes, ie - Italian, that had pasta sauces, pasta, apron, cookbook, etc. There were also Car kits, ie basket full of things to keep in your car in case you break down, saw a lot of men putting their tickets in that one.

I am helping my mom with an upcoming fundraisier and we made a margarita basket, and included an expensive bottle of tequila. There is also an As Seen on TV basket, thats a new one to me and I thought its a great idea.

Laurie

You could do a chocolate themed basket (hot chocolate, godiva chocolates, brownie mix, chocolate syrup/sauce, chocolate cookies, chocolate-covered nuts or pretzels, a chocolate cookbook, etc.)

or a breakfast basket (coffee/mugs, teas, maple syrup, pancake mix, muffin mix, granola, preserves/jams, flavored butter...like apple or pumpkin)

or a family night game basket (card games, dice, snacks, etc.)

Is this a different basket or something to go in her basket?

When is the raffle? Is it all holiday themed?

Spa baskets with bath and pampering goodies appear at nearly every raffle -- not original but could be a good gift or a treat for one who's just done the holiday cards, shopping wrapping, etc.

A popular one at a school raffle was a gift wrap basket -- you might put it in one of those containers for roles of wrapping paper instead of a traditional basket. Add some paper, gift bags, tissue, tape, scissors, ribbon, gift tags, another roll of tape. If you are crafty and can make some homemade items (maybe even some with recycled paper, etc.) you can make the basket unique and add value to it.

For the holidays -- a cookie baking basket with cutters and decorating goodies. Add some baking parchment and the silicone bands for easy rolling with instructions for using them to roll the dough between sheets and then chill (found that at the kitchengifts dot com website and it's much easier to roll the dough -- no added flour to toughen the dough either). You can either go with an assortment of classic cutters for someone who is starting, or for something that might appeal to the beginner or experienced cookie baker, pick a couple of less common cutters. Mittens, caps and stockings with lots of pictures on how they can be decorated a hundred different ways can inspire them (BHG has done patchwork mittens in the past, so that would be fun in addition to the icing and sugar variations). Classic gingerbread girl and boy would be another idea -- include recipes for both sugar cookies and gingerbread ones.

Take that one step more -- do a gingerbread decorating basket. Make it a house, or if folks in your area buy houses ready to decorate, try a different style house, an area landmark, a church, a courthouse, a log cabin, a lighthouse, a manger (you could have all the cookie shapes for animals, Joseph, Mary and the wise men). If you have your shape baked and assembled (manger would be so easy and different), have it ready to decorate and include icing or instructions for making the icing and candies, small bags of cereal, pretzels, etc. Make it an experience ready to happen...

Auto baskets have been popular -- something the guys can appreciate and less often thought of. Include flares or a lantern, maybe a rechargeable compressor, emergency tools (window smasher/seatbelt cuter as well as wrenches and such), car washing/detailing supplies --

Maybe a fishing basket. Maybe aim it at the younger one who might go along so you aren't competing with all the things the regular fisherman would already have -- pack them in a small cooler or with a stool/campseat.

If it's early enough, do a holiday decorating basket -- center it on a wreath or table centerpiece and add the spare light bulbs, hangers, batteries, tapes and an extension cord -- things we often have to run out and add or replace.

New Year's party supplies -- hats, noisemakers, decorations, confetti, snacks ... a bottle of bubbly if you like.

Santa's helper basket -- cookies and a plate, "reindeer food", supplies for writing a letter to Santa, and some emergency supplies (batteries, scissors, emergency/handy tool that can go in the car glove box after but has a screwdriver at least for those blinking toys that get harder to prep each year, a roll of ribbon, a pen and something unique for Santa to leave a note on, another roll of tape, maybe a couple of stocking fillers -- might need to package this in a clever way if kiddos would be seeing the basket)) and snacks to help the adult helpers get through the hours after the wee ones go to bed.

Indoor gardening -- some bulbs that can be forced for indoor color during the winter, a container and a couple of aded goodies.

Outdoor critters -- bird feeder, seed, suet and a feeder, the old pine cones and peanut butter rolled in seed, a log with holes filled with suet or PB & seed paste, a book for identifying them.

Combine ideas and do a bird feeder an food with cookie cutters for a couple of birds (cardinals are great this time of year -- a hummingbird, a blue jay, a flamingo -- whatever).

Having something personalized or handmade and unique help add appeal and value to the basket which helps encourage interest. Packaging is another biggie -- use empty boxes, fill material and tape to lift all those things out of the container so they can be seen. If everything falls in, it may not look like much even though there could be a lot of stuff in there. Just take an idea for something you might buy or need and develop it. Have fun with it.

Above are all great ideas. Here are some I have seen and liked:

Beach themed - sun screen, pails, shovels, towels, etc.

Pet specific (cats or dogs) with bowls, toys, collars, grooming certificate, etc.

One that seems to be a hit is various gift cards - small amounts ($10) to places like Subway, Starbuck's, etc.

Pasta - pasta pot with strainer, sauces and pastas, etc.

Beth, I wish I had your ideas for my moms fundraiser thats a week before thanksgiving, we already had to turn everything in. The wrapping paper and and the baking basket and new year eve baskets are great ideas around the holidays.

Laurie

I saw the wrapping one done with kid's birthday and all occasion papers in the spring and it was surprisingly popular for a school that sold wrapping paper for a fall fundraiser.

The beach, pool and outdoor themes are always goo here, but that's usually in the spring. You could adjust the idea for cold weather activities -- I just don't have much experience with that.

Thank you, thank you....THANK YOU!I think I will do two baskets, one for the men and the gift wrap one! Men usually get left out at these events and there will be lots of dads there, as it is a Winterfest Fundraiser for the school of my niece's daughter. So excited! Thank you all again!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Wow, I am super impressed with all these great ideas! I'd never even heard of a gift basket raffle, but am already looking for an excuse to organize one or create a basket for raffle.
    Nice to see a couple of "gents" ideas, too - might be fun to do a "Monday Night Football" theme or such. I still recall how thrilled an old friend was when I gave a (fairly) generous Home Depot gift card as a wedding present.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I once did a basket of outdoor games like bocce, badmitton, street hockey, and croquet. I included things like drink holders too.

our school's main fundraiser every year is a basket raffle called Spring Fling. They have probably 50-60 baskets and it's awesome! I like it so much better than a silent auction where the people who have plenty of money to burn put in a bid of $100 for a $25 restaurant gift certificate. I know it's great for the charity, but not much fun for people who aren't loaded......a basket raffle evens the playing field. We solicit businesses for donations and we also have each classroom put together a basket and often families will do a basket. They can be as little or as huge as you can think of or afford. Some popular ones around here:

Sports teams---for us it's the Red Sox and the Patriots..there are always multiple baskets with hats, blankets, beach towels, sweat shirts, whatever with the team logo on it.

A grilling basket---nice grilling tools and a gift card to a local meat shop

Reading basket---a family selection of popular fiction for different age groups

the pet baskets--a dog or cat themed one or multiple ones are always a hit

Family game night---board games for the whole family

cooking ones--either gourmet foods or just gadgets

balls--all kinds of different balls--tennis, baseball, playground balls, etc.

crafts---kids crafting supplies or adults..scrapbooking, etc.
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

Kristilyn1, your experience with baskets is different from what we were seeing with them in auction. Years ago, we had shopaholics looking at baskets as bargains. We were lucky to get half of what a basket was worth. Some of them were getting pretty junky because folks wouldn't donate nice things, so we stopped doing baskets for a couple of years.

Your list reminds me that a collection of children's books was another popular one. With a reading basket, a booklight, a blanket -- lots of possible additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Kristilyn1, your experience with baskets is different from what we were seeing with them in auction. Years ago, we had shopaholics looking at baskets as bargains. We were lucky to get half of what a basket was worth. Some of them were getting pretty junky because folks wouldn't donate nice things, so we stopped doing baskets for a couple of years.

Your list reminds me that a collection of children's books was another popular one. With a reading basket, a booklight, a blanket -- lots of possible additions.
    we don't auction off our baskets. We sell tickets and you walk around putting in tickets for the baskets you are interested in. We pull the names and call the families that night and you can potentially get called once....or 7-8 times depending on how many baskets you win. I won the electrolysis basket last year as my son thought it said electronics.....LOL.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

I did a Mexican themed one with different kinds of chips & salsas, it was very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristilyn1 View Post
    we don't auction off our baskets. We sell tickets and you walk around putting in tickets for the baskets you are interested in.
    Kristi, how much do you charge for your tickets?
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I understood the raffle of the baskets. Our folks were talking about raffling them too, but to deal with the opposite issue of things going to the ones who could afford to seriously overbid. I was responding to the $100 for a $25 item -- that never happens here! Even the folks who could overbid were bargain shopping at a fundraiser! Or once a teacher or other staff member bid on something, no one would bid against them. For a while, things got counter productive.

I don't know if they ever did raffles for the larger items, but they always put the toy and kid items in a raffle and the kids had fun with that and everyone had a fair chance at everything. Tickets were 50 cents, but I think by the time our youngest left that school, they were $1, maybe 6 for $5. These were on items that might have been mostly in a range of $10-50. For a $100-200 basket, you might want a different priced ticket ($5, 6 for $25 or something) -- you could use a different color ticket for those if you had both.