Community Message Boards

Thread: Ina Garten Baked Parmesan Risotto

Thumbs up Ina Garten Baked Parmesan Risotto

This may have already been reviewed, so my apologies if this is a duplicate. I made it last night and loved it! A definite repeater. I made no subs.

Recipe: Easy Parmesan "risotto"
    Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That?" cookbook
    Ingredients

* 1.5 cups Arborio rice
    * 5 cups simmering chicken stock, preferably homemade, divided
    * 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    * 1/2 cup dry white wine
    * 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
    * 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    * 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 cup frozen peas

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the rice and 4 cups of the chicken stock in a Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset. Cover and bake for 45 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente. Remove from the oven, add the remaining cup of chicken stock, the Parmesan, wine, butter, salt and pepper, and stir vigorously for two to three minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy. Add the peas and stir until heated through. Serve hot.

Kate

Wow, this sounds good and easy! How many servings would you say this made? I think I would want to halve it for just 2.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I did halve the recipe and I got 3 nice-sized servings. I'm eating one for lunch right now!!!!

Enjoy,

Kate

I'm making this soon...I saw her do it on the Today show, and I also just got her new cookbook...it looks wonderful! Thanks for the review!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I printed the recipe, and look forward to making it, since I'm side-dish impaired!

Thanks!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! We had it for dinner tonight (served with leftover turkey) and it was delicious! It's also so easy.

I used half the salt called for (I always cut the salt in Ina's recipes) but otherwise made no changes.

Makes a bunch, and would be a great dish for guests.

I used Rice Select brand of Arborio rice carried by Kroger. It's really good stuff.

http://www.riceselect.com/world-rice.aspx

That looks like pure comfort!! Thanks for posting, this will be on our table soon!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

http://livlifetoo.blogspot.com/ Visit Kim's food blog!

Angry Ina Garten's Parm Risotto

I tasted this before i added the salt and it was perfect, but, I added the salt anyway. I had to throw the entire dish out, the salt was overpowering. When you make this meal, I urge you to leave the salt out (leaving out the wine too would not have been a bad thing either). All in all, I was looking forward to this dish and then the salt killed it.

Thanks Kate. I always felt risotto-challenged and this looks like simple, pleasant flavors.

Put salt warning in caps in my file recipe. That's a shame to lose a batch to over salting. 1 cup Parmesan cheese by itself is full of it!!!

And I love animals too

I have made this too and enjoyed it. However my family felt that the wine was overpowering and asked that I skip it next time. I have to say I did agree with them and would probably just use water instead since it is 1/2 cup of liquid or more chicken broth. There are not many of her recipes that I don't like everything about it, but this was one.

Ohhhhh I'm gonna try this one! I have 2 kids, ages 2 years and 10 months anything I can cook that tastes good with minimal effort is right up my alley!!!!

Ahhhh I miss cooking what I want when I want, but my wee ones are worth it!
    Stay-at-home mom scratch cooking for a child with a severe peanut and mustard allergy.

This recipe has become a favorite at our house.

About the saltiness, Ina uses a lot of salt in her recipes IMO. Also, she uses Kosher salt and an equivalent amount of regular salt would be too much. I always cut the salt in her recipes way down, and then taste.

I also use Swanson's Natural Goodness broth, which has less salt.

Parmesan cheese is salty, as others have noted. I use freshly grated Parmesan as the recipe states. If someone used a cup of packaged finely grated Parmesan they would be getting more cheese and more salt.

For wine, I use a Chardonnay, and we haven't found it to be overpowering. You could omit it and use more chicken broth, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury01 View Post
    I'm making this soon...I saw her do it on the Today show, and I also just got her new cookbook...it looks wonderful! Thanks for the review!
    Reported! This is an exact repeat of the gabbyh post in November, 2010.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

the folks above who recommended reducing the salt are right on, i wish i would have read your comments before cooking. it was still good but a bit on the salty side.

to those who said the wine was overpowering i'm bafffled. this is a great recipe, enjoy!

I love this recipe! Make sure that you use low-sodium chicken broth and diamond crystal salt - otherwise it WILL be too salty. I think that this is perfect as is - not too salty to me... I agree, I love the taste of the wine -

This was great. Had it tonight with a smoked whole chicken and mini caprese salad. What is even better is that it comes out well even if you misread the directions!

I halved it, added all the broth at once, and forgot to preheat the broth. I did add salt and thought the salt was much needed. Though I tend to add salt to everything…
    Sarah

I'm glad you liked this recipe. It's one of the all-time greats IMO.

I've also found that the leftovers freeze well.