Community Message Boards

Thread: Nespresso or Keurig?

Nespresso or Keurig?

So . . . I have been taking some of the Sur La Table cooking classes. Last one, I had a cappucino from the Nespresso machine. I was quite enamored with it . . . loved the built in aerocino milk frother.

But then when I looked into it, I saw that you only can get the pods from Nespresso and there isn't much variety.

So then I realized it was the Keurig that has all the variety of flavored coffees, teas, etc that you can get with it. Sadly it doesn't have the milk frother that I am enamored with.

I am trying to decide before Saturday what I want to get. When I go out, I go to the coffee shops and always get lattes or something similar. I never buy a regular coffee. But of course when I use to make coffee at home, I only made regular coffee and not espresso drinks.

I slowly stopped making coffee at home because of the hassle since I only drink a cup, and I didn't like the cleanup always taking up space in the dishwasher. So now I either buy the bottles of coffee drinks to have at home. Or go to Starbuck's or It's a Grind and get an espresso drink . . . a mocha, iced latte, latte kind of thing.

If I wanted, I could pick up some syrups and totally do the same drinks at home.

Any thoughts? About what you have found worked for you? Right now I think based on my drinking patterns (and lust for the machine) the Nespresso would fit with my drinking choices better. But then maybe it is foolish to spend so much $ when I get get a Keurig for quite a bit less.

I think I will really enjoy having this option at home . . . since I now work from home almost every day and it would be nice to have a little coffee making ritual . . . but nothing time intensive.

I also like to entertain fairly often so think it would be nice to have this as a choice. I rarely ever make coffee for guests since I don't schlepp out the big machine except when my parents are here and use it every day.

tia,
    Theresa
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

Hi Theresa ~

I think you should come down to Dos Logos store and buy the Nepresso. The Citiz makes a much better cup of coffee than the Kurig as it is pressure based. The down side is of course, you are locked into buying the pods from Nepresso for the life of the machine. It is the nineteen bars of pressure that give the Citiz cup of coffee that beautiful crema. They do have a Nepresso Cafe at South Coast now, other wise all orders have to go through Nepresso. Currently, all orders have a flat shipping rate of something like $6.50 or $6.75, regardless of if you buy one package or a hundred.

In the interest of full disclosure, for the past two and a half years, I have worked about ten hours a week at the SLT store in Dos Logos. So I am a bit partial. Plus, unlike some of the bigger stores in the more wealthy neighborhoods, we really depend on the loyalty of our local customer. Also, I'd love to see you again!
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

It sounds like you don't have to please anyone but yourself! I'd totally go for the one with the frother, and it sounds like you have a friend to go and see!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Hi Carrie - do you carry all the colors in stock? the red, the chrome and the black? Not interested in the cream.

This Saturday I am taking a class at SLT in Newport Beach, and I will get a 10% off coupon good at any SLT valid for one week.

Bed, Bath and Beyond has the black one and I can use a 20% off coupon for that.

Anyway, I figure if I like the black the best, it makes sense to buy it from BBB (I've only seen the black in real life so far).

But if I like the red or chrome color the best, then I would get it from SLT. (I really hope the red or chrome appeals to me, because then not only would I have great espresso drinks but also a cool look) I can certainly get it from your store in that case as long as I can use my SLT coupon. You will just have to let me know when you work at Dos Lagos. I would probably be there Sunday. But it is so close, I could swing over there at lunch on Monday or Tuesday.

There is also a cool deal that Nespresso is giving a $75 worth of free pods, just have to send in the info from the purchase. So that is even like more $ off.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge