Community Message Boards

Thread: Raw Cranberry Relish Recipe (with jalapeno)

Raw Cranberry Relish Recipe (with jalapeno)

Hi - I made this last year after finding it on this message board and it was fabulous. Unfortunately, I stored the recipe on my work pc and then lost my job and had to turn in my laptop. I did a search and can't find it here - does anyone remember this recipe and if so, can you please post it here?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Leslie
    Where am I going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Could this be it?

CHRISTMAS SALSA

2 medium navel oranges -- whole
    1 pound whole cranberries -- washed well
    2 jalapenos -- chopped
    1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
    1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Place the oranges, skin and all, in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and chop very fine. Then add the cranberries, jalapenos, apricots, and the spices and process again. Do not over chop as you want to retain the integrity of the cranberries, apricot, and jalapeno.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

Yield: Approx. 4 cups

SERVING SUGGESTIONS: This is marvelous with roast turkey, and I often use it on an English muffin as a substitute for marmalade.

Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

That sounds delicious but it's not the recipe I was thinking of - mine had jalapenos which gave it a nice "bite". I was surprised at how good the raw relish was both with the Thanksgiving dinner and also as a condiment on leftover turkey sandwiches.

Hoping someone here remembers the recipe!

Thx!

That one actually does have two jalapeños but sounds like a different recipe..
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

You're right. Somehow I missed that. I think I may have found the one I'm looking for at NYTimes.com. Check it out:

Cranberry-Jalapeno Relish
    TOTAL TIME12 minutes (plus 30 minutes for standing) 1 orange
    1 cup whole, fresh cranberries
    2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 teaspoons seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper
    Maple syrup to taste (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
    Preparation
    1.Grate the zest from the orange and set aside. Remove the white pith and seeds and cut the orange into sections.
    2.Place the zest, orange sections, cranberries, ginger, cilantro and jalapeno in a food processor. Pulse just until cranberries are coarsely chopped. Stir in maple syrup. Cover and let stand for at least 30 minutes before serving.

YIELD 8 servings .NOTEApproximate nutritional analysis per serving: 25 calories, 0 grams fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 15 milli grams sodium, 0 grams protein, 7 grams carbohydrate.

I make this cranberry salsa- its my have-to-have dish at this time of year!

See if this is the one you are looking for

Cranberry Salsa
    Southern Living, NOVEMBER 2000

3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed (fresh works best)
    1/2 medium-size purple onion, chopped
    2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped (I use serranos)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 cup honey (I now use a mix of agave and maple syrup)
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon grated orange rind

Process all ingredients in a food processor, pulsing 6 to 8 times or until coarsely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides. Cover and chill 8 hours.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups
    Last edited by cherylopal; 11-21-2010 at 05:53 AM. Reason: my notes!
    Cheryl

Bingo! Cheryl - that's the recipe!!! I remember now I used a combination of agave and honey to sweeten it.

Thanks so much! I was worried I had lost this recipe forever and it was so delicious and "different" than the cooked cranberry sauce recipes I've made in the past.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Leslie

glad to help!! i've been making this for years well since 2000 even before i went veg. had something similar at my mom's club in fl and this was the closest i could find. love it and glad you do to- so easy to make and very delish!!
    Cheryl

OK, so I know I'm not the only one who prints out recipes and puts them on a pile and doesn't make them for years

I printed off this Cranberry Salsa that Cheryl posted in 2010...and finally made it!!!! OMG I can't believe I waited soooo long!!! I only used 1 jalapeno, but plenty hot for us!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post
    OK, so I know I'm not the only one who prints out recipes and puts them on a pile and doesn't make them for years

I printed off this Cranberry Salsa that Cheryl posted in 2010...and finally made it!!!! OMG I can't believe I waited soooo long!!! I only used 1 jalapeno, but plenty hot for us!

~Gail
    Merry Christmas to you Gail

Doesn't it suck the hottest day of the week has to be today

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post

~Gail
    So glad you finally made it!

This has been my go-to cranberry recipe every year now. Everyone who I share the recipe with has commented to me how good it is. It's great with holiday turkey and just as good on leftover turkey sandwiches. I have made many versions of cranberry sauce and relish but this one is the best!!