Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for bourbon

Substitute for bourbon

I am making a chocolate pecan pie that calls for 3 tablespoons of bourbon. However, one of our guests does not drink. Any suggestions for a substitute??

Thanks much

Sue

Sue, I checked recipetips.com & under a substitute for bourbon it shows 1-1/2 to 2 tsp. of vanilla extract. It doesn't give a quantity of bourbon that this amount of vanilla is supposed to sub for .

Then I found a recipe (bourbon & orange pecan pie) on Real Simple's website that calls for 2 Tbsp. of bourbon or 1 tsp. vanilla extract.

Hope this helps!
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

Sue, I made a Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Tart last night which had 2 tablespoons of bourbon in it and I could NOT taste it....to my dismay! But to answer your question, I've made this same tart without the bourbon in it and done fine. It had 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in it though.

Suebear...I gotta find that recipe you speak of!

If you are concerned about this I would call the guest. Liquid vanilla is almost always alcohol based, so if you replace bourbon with vanilla your are essentially replacing alcohol with alcohol.