Community Message Boards

Thread: When did texting start?

When did texting start?

In a book I am currently reading, there is a mention of texting in 1998. It seems to me that it didn't start until well into the 2000s. Or maybe I just didn't notice it!
    K

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    In a book I am currently reading, there is a mention of texting in 1998. It seems to me that it didn't start until well into the 2000s. Or maybe I just didn't notice it!
    K

Often there is a long time period between when something is first used and when it is in widespread use. For example, the internet had it beginnings in the 1960's but I assure you it was a long time after that when I first started to surf the net.

Of course, there was no surfing of the 'net prior to the www and Mosaic, right? Well after the 1960s.

I think it's interesting that all the LOLs, BRB, etc (what are they called, collectively?) as well as text-based emoticons allegedly originated with the cost per character of texting. My boss is Japanese and she said it's poor form to forward email in Japan because people are still paying cost per character, and since it's all done by phone, you're costing your friends a fortune in doing that. She said emoticons rule because they're economical. So take that etiquette traditionalists! The birth of your child now gets you a special baby-smiley-emoticon in lieu of a note of congratulations. Emoticons for everything.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

When I was about age 10, my cousin and I were rabid pen pals (that is, actually hand writing letters) with each other and other young people around the country.
    We used things like "LOL" way back then, in the 60's. Where they actually started, don't know! But they were in use before the internet and cell texting.
    barbara-cook