Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! How long to cook turkey breast??

Help! How long to cook turkey breast??

Let me preface this by saying I don't cook a lot of meat. That being said, I know you are supposed to cook turkey 20 minutes per pound. However, I'm curious about my turkey breasts. I bought a turkey breast and thought it was one big breast, but it is about 2-3 pieces weighing a total of just under 5 pounds (tag says 4.75). So, do I still cook it at 20 minutes per pound, even though the weight is split into pieces, instead of one big breast??

Thanks so much! Happy Thanksgiving to all.

If I was cooking them as one piece (ie tied together) then yes, the 20 min per pound. If I was to lay them out flat on a rack and roast them then I'd base it on the largest piece though keeping an eye on the smaller one if it's significantly smaller. If they're all about equal then just using the average weight...sort of like baking chicken breasts. Of course, an instant read thermometer is still needed at the end.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    Of course, an instant read thermometer is still needed at the end.
    Ditto what Susan said. 20 minutes per pound as a guide, but best to cook meat to temperature, not time. Not overdone, not underdone, but just right

Michelle

I'm roasting a breast too. Started it at 425 for the first 30 minutes then lowered the temp to 350. It's a little over 8 lbs. so I'll start checking internal temp after another hour. I typically roast chickens at 425 for 14 minutes per pound.

Thanks, all! For some reason, I was thinking the breast pieces were a lot smaller than they actually were. I brined them last night and baked them for about an hour and a half. Temp measured right. They were good. I thought they were a bit on the salty side, but our friends didn't think so. All in all, it was a good feast.