Community Message Boards

Thread: Stock / Soup from Goose -- Canice & Others

Stock / Soup from Goose -- Canice & Others

So Canice has been helping me figure out what to do with my leftover goose carcass, but for whatever reason I didn't get her link.

Just in case I figured I better post a thread too so she and others could reply her. I have looked up stuff online, but didn't really come across something. Any suggestions?

I pretty much need to go ahead and do this in the next couple of days. Any goose lovers out there who have made a tasty stock or soup?

TIA
    Theresa
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

The second best thing to happen to email is "Did you mean to include an attachment?" (the best thing being the auto-save to drafts).

Sorry, Theresa - no attachment in my PM!

If anyone's curious, I noted a stock and soup recipe for leftover goose. I actually used a recipe from Williams-Sonoma for leftover turkey stock and soup, but it was delicious with goose .

Any other goose suggestions welcome, no doubt!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    The second best thing to happen to email is "Did you mean to include an attachment?" (the best thing being the auto-save to drafts).

Sorry, Theresa - no attachment in my PM!

If anyone's curious, I noted a stock and soup recipe for leftover goose. I actually used a recipe from Williams-Sonoma for leftover turkey stock and soup, but it was delicious with goose .

Any other goose suggestions welcome, no doubt!
    Thanks Canice! I am going to the store tomorrow morning and wanted to also make this soup. Yummy.

Hey, I would consider wild rice or brown to add to the earthiness of the goose!
    Hope you'll report back if the soup works out (but not if it doesn't )

Armel, we raise geese, and when I have a goose carcass I make rillettes with it. We really love them spread on a baguette or cracker. Here's my recipe.

Goose (Or Duck) Rillettes
    Prep Time: 30 mins
    Total Time: 3 hrs
    Servings: 8-10

About This Recipe
    Shredded goose (or duck) meat. This is a wonderful French staple, used as an appetizer, snack or lunch, and served on slices of crusty baguette or crackers. I use the carcass from a roast goose or duck after we've served it for a meal; it's a great way to make use of every last delicious morsel of the bird.

Ingredients
    1 goose carcass ( including the giblets, wings, and pieces of skin and fat)
    cubed pork belly (optional)
    salt
    pepper
    cloves (or Quatre Épices)
    bouquet garni
    Cognac or a dash of any other wine (optional)

Directions
    Break up the carcass and place it with the other parts and the cubed pork in a large pot with a cupful (or more, as necessary) of water. Add the seasonings, cover, and cook very slowly, stirring often, for at least 2 1/2 hours.
    When the meat separates easily from the bones and the liquid has almost evaporated, remove the bones and tear the meat into short strands with your fingers, mixing it well with the fat, skin and giblets. The texture should be coarse and with separate threads, rather than more homogenized like a pâté. You can also put some in a processor, or use an immersion blender, to make a smoother paste.
    Fill small baking or custard dishes with the mixture and any remaining liquid, leave it to cool, and then cover it with a layer of goose or duck fat. I use small covered containers which will each serve two to four people as an amuse-bouche before a meal. They can be frozen.
    Chacun à son goût!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Armel, we raise geese, and when I have a goose carcass I make rillettes with it. We really love them spread on a baguette or cracker. Here's my recipe.

Goose (Or Duck) Rillettes
    Prep Time: 30 mins
    Total Time: 3 hrs
    Servings: 8-10

About This Recipe
    Shredded goose (or duck) meat. This is a wonderful French staple, used as an appetizer, snack or lunch, and served on slices of crusty baguette or crackers. I use the carcass from a roast goose or duck after we've served it for a meal; it's a great way to make use of every last delicious morsel of the bird.

Ingredients
    1 goose carcass ( including the giblets, wings, and pieces of skin and fat)
    cubed pork belly (optional)
    salt
    pepper
    cloves (or Quatre Épices)
    bouquet garni
    Cognac or a dash of any other wine (optional)

Directions
    Break up the carcass and place it with the other parts and the cubed pork in a large pot with a cupful (or more, as necessary) of water. Add the seasonings, cover, and cook very slowly, stirring often, for at least 2 1/2 hours.
    When the meat separates easily from the bones and the liquid has almost evaporated, remove the bones and tear the meat into short strands with your fingers, mixing it well with the fat, skin and giblets. The texture should be coarse and with separate threads, rather than more homogenized like a pâté. You can also put some in a processor, or use an immersion blender, to make a smoother paste.
    Fill small baking or custard dishes with the mixture and any remaining liquid, leave it to cool, and then cover it with a layer of goose or duck fat. I use small covered containers which will each serve two to four people as an amuse-bouche before a meal. They can be frozen.
    This sounds really interesting. I will keep it in mind for next time . . . or the duck I also bought to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Hey, I would consider wild rice or brown to add to the earthiness of the goose!
    Hope you'll report back if the soup works out (but not if it doesn't )
    So I've decided to just make the stock for now and not the soup. And then freeze the stock. I will then use it as a base for making soups . . . I am wanting to find a way to use leftover veggies instead of wasting them as much as I do, and my friend makes a vegetable soup all the time. So I thought maybe I could do that with the goose stock and it would taste even better?

Theresa, it's really easy and quite authentic, too. I had read about these and decided to try them, and they're very tasty. If you make them I hope you like them!
    Chacun à son goût!

Yum, sounds great, RiverFarm! Do you use goose fat for roasted potatoes? Decadent, I guess, but I don't think there's a better tasting fat for 'em!

That's a great idea, Theresa - it'll make a really flavorful basis for using up your vegetables.

Yes, I do use goose fat for oven-roasted potatoes. They're great with a sprig or two of rosemary. My geese aren't that fatty but I save what I can to use in other recipes. I ordered four ducks from a local farmer and they look very plump, so I'm looking forward to getting some drippings from them so I can try making confit de canard!
    Chacun à son goût!